• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Have you put together a sport coat guide and, if not, would you consider doing one to add to the collection of guides on PTO? I know you've done them for trousers and the like, and it seems useful as people move away from full suits to separates (at least those who want to continue wearing tailoring). Beyond the basics (navy hopsack, brown donegal, grey herringbone), I find myself a bit lost as to what patterns and colors are particularly versatile.

I think Simon Crompton has done one, but my tastes don't always align with his, e.g., his insistence on the versatility of pale grey.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Have you put together a sport coat guide and, if not, would you consider doing one to add to the collection of guides on PTO? I know you've done them for trousers and the like, and it seems useful as people move away from full suits to separates (at least those who want to continue wearing tailoring). Beyond the basics (navy hopsack, brown donegal, grey herringbone), I find myself a bit lost as to what patterns and colors are particularly versatile.

I think Simon Crompton has done one, but my tastes don't always align with his, e.g., his insistence on the versatility of pale grey.

I was actually working on a spring sport coat guide. Might do one for spring/summer and then another for fall/winter, so the entries are somewhat more manageable. Will try to pull something together!

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually working on a spring sport coat guide. Might do one for spring/summer and then another for fall/winter, so the entries are somewhat more manageable. Will try to pull something together!
That would be great. I'm having an especially hard time with spring/summer SCs, so I'm very much looking forward to what you put out.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't object to another round of summer tweed this year or next...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I recall an article about trousers in which you mentioned H&S Dakota cavalry twills and linked to a couple of specific shades you had ordered. Have you removed it or am I going nuts?

Hm, I don't think I've ever listed that but here are the fabric numbers I've ordered from the Dakota book

9518003: light gray cavalry twill
9518004: dark gray cavalry twill
9518008: brown cavalry twill
9518011: fawn cavalry twill (useful)
9518401: brown whipcord (my favorite fabric in the book. Looks great with tan or very dark brown jackets)
9518403: charcoal whipcord (this is a very dark shade and I only bought it to go with a specific Fox tweed. Might not be very useful otherwise)
9518500: tan whipcord
9518609: grey whipcord (one of the most useful fabrics in the book)

I think the wool Bedford cords are interesting, such as 9518101. I normally think of Bedford cord as being made from cotton and used for five-pocket pants. Don't know what wool Bedford would feel like. If someone was very adventurous, they could use it for frogmouth pocketed trousers and wear the pants with a Western shirt and some outerwear.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I don't think I've ever listed that but here are the fabric numbers I've ordered from the Dakota book

9518401: brown whipcord (my favorite fabric in the book. Looks great with tan or very dark brown jackets)
9518403: charcoal whipcord (this is a very dark shade and I only bought it to go with a specific Fox tweed. Might not be very useful otherwise)

I think the wool Bedford cords are interesting, such as 9518101. I normally think of Bedford cord as being made from cotton and used for five-pocket pants. Don't know what wool Bedford would feel like. If someone was very adventurous, they could use it for frogmouth pocketed trousers and wear the pants with a Western shirt and some outerwear.
I always thought of Bedford Cord as cotton too until I read that the original was actually woolen based. Also have read different accounts of where it got its name, New Bedford in US or Bedford in UK : )
There’s apparently a variety of weaves that are all called Bedford Cord.

gwilliams84

Reaction score

Definitely agree with the versatility of these:

I ordered pants in these fabrics/colours from Rota (disclaimer: I don't know if Rota uses these exact fabrics from H&S, but they look almost identical), and lived in them in for about 5 months last year (I'm from Sydney, so it's never that cold, but given they're not brushed they were perfectly comfortable in the low 20s celsius). The dark brown (almost black) tones in the brown whipcord were especially great with cold-toned outfits.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear (or anyone really) - I’m looking for a cotton fun suit, preferably in olive but tan/khaki would be a possibility. Problem is I’m not seeing many good options OTR right now. Todd Snyder has one but I don’t like the green…Spier & Mackey has a cotton/linen blend but I don’t love how their trousers fit. Armoury and Drake’s don’t have anything currently out that I can see.

any recommendations? Not looking to go bespoke or buy second hand off eBay.

Id check with the NMWA crew for anything incoming. They usually have some decent casual suiting options, especially for spring / summer.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a how many blue SCs is too many blue SCs guide.
Inquiring for a friend that definitely isn’t myself.

Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As always, I think I've got my SS buy-list done and Derek blows it up with one of his "Excited to Wear" posts.

A couple notes:
1. Thanks so much for shedding some light on Post Romantic. I love the fabrics, and can't believe they're doing hand-made MTM at that price. I didn't know I needed indigo pineapple pants until now.
2. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ischia knit and have the same worries you did before borrowing @UrbanComposition 's. I'm young and relatively fit, but I'm not a total babe like him, so am a little anxious about pulling it off. Is the honeycomb weave actually that see-through? I can't really tell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads