• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

garigo

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shorts with a similar cut to Baggies? I know Derek wrote about the now-defunct Joyce shorts having a similar vibe a while back. Most shorts I see have more of a straight cut that hug the thigh instead of the looser, breezier cut you get with the baggies. In the market for some casual shorts to wear with camp collars and slip ons or sneakers, I’m down for anything (fatigue style, cords, linen, etc).
I don't own them (yet), but I have my eyes on these hiking-style shorts from Earth\Studies. They also come in a few interesting colors.

Shorts.jpg

jaaz16

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shorts with a similar cut to Baggies? I know Derek wrote about the now-defunct Joyce shorts having a similar vibe a while back. Most shorts I see have more of a straight cut that hug the thigh instead of the looser, breezier cut you get with the baggies. In the market for some casual shorts to wear with camp collars and slip ons or sneakers, I’m down for anything (fatigue style, cords, linen, etc).

Also interested in others' responses to this! I remember Derek wrote something about some men being nervous about short-shorts, but shorts that are short and wide like the classic baggies have the unexpected visual effect of making skinnier legs appear more muscular, not less--at least compared to tighter chino shorts or whatever.

I just bought a pair of volta shorts from A Kind of Guise that fit similar to my baggies: a little longer but fall solidly above the knee and do not hug my thighs. They make them in a bunch of different fabrics. You can google image search to get a sense (though some stockists model them better than others).

1B5C123F-2A5E-4D6C-B975-3B0797D087C4.jpeg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the LL Bean versions are pretty comparable:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, he sizes it fitted but not tight. I’m comparison, my 100 Hands were almost too tight. Ask Moeen for best results, but he has a good idea for a classic fit. If you want roomier, he may be able to accommodate you.
Do you by chance have photos of the collar buttoned up? Or is it a case where it really ought to be worn open necked?
It's super tempting, but I'm also a tad fearful about collars potentially trending toward puny, especially when buttoned.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you by chance have photos of the collar buttoned up? Or is it a case where it really ought to be worn open necked?
It's super tempting, but I'm also a tad fearful about collars potentially trending toward puny, especially when buttoned.
I worked with Moeen to design this collar. I dislike puny collars as well, so it's 4" long, straight, and unlined/unfused. It looks fantastic without a jacket -- very louche and a bit sexy. One of my favorite lines from @unbelragazzo is when he described a shirt collar the guitarist from The Band wearing as "gently kissing his clavicle." This shirt does just that.

I wouldn't wear a tie with this particular shirt, but I suppose you could. I personally find unfused collars (besides unfused button down collars) look a little weird with a tie, but YMMV.

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve not had Baggies, so I may be heading in the wrong direction. But I’m wearing some Doppiaa Aaza needlecord shorts today and they have some ‘flare’, widening from the waistband. As it happens, with a camp collar shirt (Orlebar Brown silk / cotton blend).

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not just get Baggies? They're pretty great imo.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
Why not just get Baggies? They're pretty great imo.
Agreed, I've got plenty of them! I guess I should have clarified my question. I like and prefer the Baggie silhouette to the straight leg type of short, so I am looking for recommendations for other shorts with a similar cut that aren't nylon or less "athletic" in aesthetic.

ollinnr

Reaction score
Thoughts on cotton vs. tropical wool trousers? I'm looking to pick up a pair of dressier-than-five-pocket pants to wear with casual to "smart casual" fits (i.e. t-shirts to button-downs) and I've come across some trousers I like in both fabrics from Auralee, Kaptain Sunshine, etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maintenance is a big difference between the two. If you feel like you’ll wear them often and/or you’ll want to wash them often, cotton is the better option. The right tropical wool can be cooler wearing than cotton and keep a nice crease and shape. Cotton will wrinkle more and overall will look a little more casual (unless it’s a heavy cotton that hangs and keeps its shape)

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a few pairs of corduroy shorts from Katin, which is a California surf wear company. The shorts have a pretty similar cut to Baggies. Wider, flared leg with a shorter inseam. I’m not sure of the exact inseam measurement, but it’s probably somewhere between the 5” and 7” Baggies. These are not fancy shorts, but they’re also not expensive. They have a few different styles with slightly different cuts.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4Sdesigns “activity shorts” are a pretty good high end baggie alternative.
He’s been doing them as long as the line has been around so there’s many different fabrics, boucle, tropical wool, tweeds, silks, satins…

I’ve seen other designers do similar cuts with the name”boxer short” or “boxing short” fyi. Hard thing to Google but I know Ann D, Dries, Geller etc have all done them under that name.

I should mention Commas as well, which is a local resort wear brand that has been picking up some steam the last few seasons (now at Ssense, Matches etc).
I have the pair of the wall shorts in white linen that are probably the closest to baggies but feel a bit shorter to me, maybe closer to 3.5” inseam. Then I have a pair of wool paisley ottoman shorts which are really nice as well but much longer, just above the knee.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about Baggies has got me thinking about "The Walk" by The Time. Of course it was written and mostly performed by Prince - with Morris Day and Vanity providing vocals.

Who? Me? I wear baggies, zip, snap, and drop
Easy access, baby
Yes, before you get a chance to holler "Stop!"
Besides, Rollo likes his freedom
Ain't nothin' like a fresh pair of baggies
Now I know that's right

Here's the video with the Original 7 members of The Time, including Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis of later fame - It's the single version without the discussion of Baggies, but Morris throws in "I got the finest Baggies money can buy" at the end.

Youtube - The Walk official video

Here is the full album version with the Baggies discussion

(sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed the videos)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also curious about Bronson. Their t-shirts nail all the right details for me, as does seemingly everything else.

They carry field jackets, including the M-1943 one with lapels, a replication of Lee's Storm Rider denim jacket, and a shearling bomber jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads