• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems like the right thread. So I understand the utility of olive trousers “in theory” but I wonder if people have some nice fall fits with olive trousers. Shades of brown (beige and darker) and muted reds seem good, perhaps even dark navy/midnight. But I'd like to see these. Muted, darker olive seems the way to go for fall in trousers.

Calling on @UrbanComposition and @Mr. Six and others.
Didn’t realize it was this long ago. I’ve outgrown the jacket but I still have these pants. They’re fairly dark and really only look olive in bright light.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having no connection whatsoever to the fashion industry, I'd still really like to go to PItti. I mean, just for the spectacle of it and also to see new jawns. Plus, a few days in Firenze could never be a bad thing, right?

We bypassed Florence in June and went straight to Milan which holds their men's fashion week right after Pitti. It was fun, many peacocks but mostly chic, stylish men and women. Sadly, no one asked to take our pictures.

gwilliams84

Reaction score
I've got olive/green cav twill trousers for winter, but it turns out that I only have one photo, and you can't really tell that they're green. I find it extremely difficult to get green to show up properly in photos.

I've found that I particularly like cream shirts with them--plain oxford and tattersal. Tan flannel is also nice. As you mention, the right shade of red stripe also works well. It's not a fall combo buy I have a dark blue chambray shirt that I like to wear with a green summer sport coat, so i would think that the right navy shirt would work well with olive trousers as well.

Olive trousers in the right shade are also one of the perfect pairings for the dread grey sport coat. I think they also work with a variety of checks with a lighter base (tan, cream, grey) because they contrast without being too stark.

I thought DWW had an article about olive, but maybe it was just him posting about an olive suit he was having made. I did find this article about green.

And as much as I like his writing, i disagree with almost everything in that twitter thread about western wear.
I agree with @Mr. Six on the usefulness of green cav twill, although mine are whipcords, they get plenty of wear in winter.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get some people's thoughts on fabric choice for a suit and the "It's Easy Being Green" article is a good segue. I was about to pull the trigger on Fox Air walnut melange, after seeing it in the @dieworkwear article here: https://dieworkwear.com/2021/06/15/my-tailoring-wish-list/ . However, the fabric just next to it in the Fox Air book is this beautiful olive green melange: https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collections/fox-air/products/melange-olive-plain-weave

I have steadily culled my suits as I predominantly wear trousers and sports jackets. However, I wanted one suit for the (very) seldom occasion I would need one for work or an event. I also wanted the suit to work as separates given this is what I almost exclusively wear formally and for work. Being from Sydney, Fox Air works for 3 seasons of the year (and, arguably, 4 seasons with a warmer shirt and scarf).

Both colours:
1. work well as separates;
2. while they are not formal, they are formal enough for how casual my office is (and most offices since the pandemic); and
3. work for all occasions which require a suit, bar a funeral.

I’m struggling to decide between the two. I prefer the walnut (only by a small margin) but I feel the green is actually a little more versatile as this colder colour seems slightly more formal. As such, I thought I’d ask the opinion of people on this thread. Which do you prefer?

zr3rs

Reaction score
I have the walnut as trousers, and it is a fairly strong colour. For olive, maybe you look at the four point star, which is darker and in my opinion more "suitable". You cannot go wrong with any of these, though.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The near charcoal stars do make things darker. The Fox City book has more 4 point colors - the dark sage is a cooler tone

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good with a shirt or sweater, but I wouldn't wear one with a sport coat. Maybe just my lack of imagination. I pretty much only wear off-white, light gray, medium gray, and tan with a sport coat.

I believe @dopey coined the term, "day counter," (a couple posts below this one). And while I don't use the term, I love dopey, so seeing it reminds me of him and makes me smile. I do share with him a preference for watches w/o the date.
Me, @dopey and Vox had this conversation in 2020. I felt Vox said it best:
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 8.22.42 AM.png

BananaKing

Reaction score
Trying to follow Derek’s advice on using clothes as a language to express who I am and aspire to be associated with.

Fit/style check:
I’ve heard Drake’s is quite popular and stylish so I’ve started acquiring core pieces. I thought this Aran knit and overcoat was complimented well by my favourite silk scarf.

Do you think I project as tasteful yet down to earth and approachable below? Open to advice/constructive criticism

1675342365722.png

BananaKing

Reaction score
Yes it I, Chris Evans.

Was watching this movie tonight and the costume/clothes plays such a big role in immediately profiling the characters.

I found it humorous that Chris Evan’s character was notable for his #menswear Drake’s-like scarf on top of some “classic” pieces. It was clear that sprez = a**hole rich kid

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it I, Chris Evans.

Was watching this movie tonight and the costume/clothes plays such a big role in immediately profiling the characters.

I found it humorous that Chris Evan’s character was notable for his #menswear Drake’s-like scarf on top of some “classic” pieces. It was clear that sprez = a**hole rich kid
It’s the scarf that accentuates that effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads