• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have to size up just buy an insole or half insole. That's what I do with the boots because a 44 is too tight but 45 is too long.

CPNEWBIE

Reaction score
That's actually not a bad idea. If the 41 do feel a bit long after a few wears and stretch further, an insole could be a good option rather than getting a 40 and praying they stretch to be comfortable for daily wear.

CPNEWBIE

Reaction score
Inside of my Stan Smiths and Nike Roshes
US 8.5, UK 8, EU 42

So a 41 in Common Projects Achilles Low is a better option in this case?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you have to size up just buy an insole or half insole. That's what I do with the boots because a 44 is too tight but 45 is too long.

I wear a half insole with all my pairs for arch support, since CPs don't offer that. But I don't think a full insole is really going to solve the fit issue. If the shoes are only slightly too long then it might be a permanent improvement. But, for reference, I have a pair of the Retro Achilles which are slightly large and choose to only wear the half-insole with them, taking them as a slightly-loose shoe. The reason being: stacking a full insole on-top of the factory insole (which is what we're talking about doing here) simply forces your foot against the upper, which is only going to exacerbate the stretch over time. Add this to a shoe which is already notably bigger than your foot and you'll be clopping around within a few months.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mention it earlier because of your comment on width, but you could try a Retro Achilles in 40 and see what that feels like. They are the same width as the Achilles but due to the design there is some added room i the toe box and overall.

CPNEWBIE

Reaction score
I didn't mention it earlier because of your comment on width, but you could try a Retro Achilles in 40 and see what that feels like. They are the same width as the Achilles but due to the design there is some added room i the toe box and overall.

Thanks. I don't think they have those in store here in Australia so can't try them on unfortunately. Based on numerous forums it seems people with half sizes only go down one full size in the CPs Achilles which would technically mean a 41 for me.

Any suggestions on where to get good quality half insoles?

CPNEWBIE

Reaction score
I've seen Retros at both Harrolds in Syd and Melb and Sneakerboy too. Just FYI.

I tried the 41s at Sneakerboy in Melbourne last night and ordered them and I checked their website again, no sign of the retros. They have one in black with the white toe cap which I don't really fancy.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  I don't think they have those in store here in Australia so can't try them on unfortunately.  Based on numerous forums it seems people with half sizes only go down one full size in the CPs Achilles which would technically mean a 41 for me.

Any suggestions on where to get good quality half insoles?

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/delux-mens-3-4

Bertdinner2

Reaction score

I see what you mean, that wouldn't be too comfortable. Thanks. Might pop in to the store again and try the 40 on and see if I can tolerate the tightness, otherwise I will stick to the 41. :(
to me 45 are tight as hell when i first get them but after some wear they are perfect

CPNEWBIE

Reaction score
to me 45 are tight as hell when i first get them but after some wear they are perfect

Haha man this is so confusing. Do you think they stretched about half a size a there abouts? If that's the case then I will get my exchanged for a 40 and then wait for them to stretch to like a 40.5

larryr

Reaction score

Haha man this is so confusing.  Do you think they stretched about half a size a there abouts? If that's the case then I will get my exchanged for a 40 and then wait for them to stretch to like a 40.5

Yes they will. They will stretch

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fwiw I only size up in boots. I wear Achilles in the same size as bballs and derbys (44) which is one down from my brannock/Nike us12. Bballs start out perfectly comfortable from day one. Achilles suck for a while but stretch enough to be comfortable (45's are always too long and weird), I just put show stretchers in them at night for a few weeks and wear them a lot.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahholbrook122