• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TokenMao

Reaction score
I mean...I don't think cleaning any shoes with harsh chemicals every week is a good thing. But awesome to hear that the leather held up well without cracking.

No one will be taking down that video, obviously, but I don't give two ***** about the quality or construction. I love all of my common projects, and it doesn't make me want them any less. I enjoyed the video, it's cool see what's inside. Happy the dude is making them, and now that I've seen them, I'm curious to see more.

These are the same keyboard warriors that bust nuts over a goodyear welt, but don't even wear their shoes long enough to get the soles replaced.

As someone who is into welted dress shoes and boots but who also owns 10+ pairs of CPs I agree that I really could not care less about the technical details of CPs. I buy them for the design / aesthetic, and people who are evaluating CPs through a purely technical lens are mostly missing the point.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who is into welted dress shoes and boots but who also owns 10+ pairs of CPs I agree that I really could not care less about the technical details of CPs. I buy them for the design / aesthetic, and people who are evaluating CPs through a purely technical lens are mostly missing the point.

Yeah, same. I have dozens of gyw from all the major brands, and I'm just into different things for different reasons.

Who cares, just wear your shoes people.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Yeah, same. I have dozens of gyw from all the major brands, and I'm just into different things for different reasons.

Who cares, just wear your shoes people.

exactly buy the shoe if you like it, don't if you don't...not sure why this video is such a big deal lol

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
5yr old white lows from 2015 worn 3-5 days a wk. Full cleaning about 3 times, last ~1.5yrs ago, otherwise just wiped with damp paper towel every 2 months. Acetone to soles 1-2x a year.

2B3E3C58-DD8F-4D98-9013-DB0B239789F7.jpeg
307C6B64-023B-4199-AD3A-4978FE7CE02E.jpeg
BC581791-A03B-4E97-8BAE-9077A135A2D1.jpeg

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
They look great! Why acetone to sole?

Thanks! Acetone removes black scuffs and the slight yellow hue from the surface of the aging rubber. I used to use mr clean magic eraser but this is much more effective and lower effort. Like the magic eraser just be careful to avoid the upper because it will eat away the white paint layer off the leather

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Acetone removes black scuffs and the slight yellow hue from the surface of the aging rubber. I used to use mr clean magic eraser but this is much more effective and lower effort. Like the magic eraser just be careful to avoid the upper because it will eat away the white paint layer off the leather
Painters tape helps blocks off the leather if you’re worried

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, need some help here fam.

What's the difference between the Achilles, Original Achilles, and Premium Achilles? Looks like Achilles and Original Achilles even have the same photos on ssense?

https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/common-projects/white-premium-achilles-sneakers/4957711 https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/common-projects/white-achilles-low-sneakers/4034201 https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/pr.../white-original-achilles-low-sneakers/3639679
A lot of times on ssense, when they get low on a “core” product, when they get a restock it ends up getting a new page and sometimes a new “label”, but it is the exact same item. It looks like the original was “old” stock compared to the Achilles.
The premium on the other hand is a different shoe. The old premiums had a different margom sole (slightly thicker and different tread) as well as a tumbled leather/full grain leather. Now it looks like the premium has the different treaded sole and eyelets. Can’t tell from the pics about the leather though.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of times on ssense, when they get low on a “core” product, when they get a restock it ends up getting a new page and sometimes a new “label”, but it is the exact same item. It looks like the original was “old” stock compared to the Achilles.
The premium on the other hand is a different shoe. The old premiums had a different margom sole (slightly thicker and different tread) as well as a tumbled leather. Now it looks like the premium has the different treaded sole and eyelets. Can’t tell from the pics about the leather though.

Thanks for this! Really helpful.

Looks like the premium has a tread sole, and some kind of embossed texture grain leather.

Also, to all the kids complaining about prices - basic pairs on ssense sale now, basically the same price as all of the knockoffs.

clskier

Reaction score
Now it looks like the premium has the different treaded sole and eyelets. Can’t tell from the pics about the leather though.
props for the clarification! Never noticed that sole difference, but I'm a fan-subtly reminds me of the sole of an AF1 in a good way. Curious about how the tumbled leather ages compared to the smooth leather on the non-premium model though.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Really helpful.

Looks like the premium has a tread sole, and some kind of embossed texture grain leather.

Also, to all the kids complaining about prices - basic pairs on ssense sale now, basically the same price as all of the knockoffs.
premium doesn't have to have tread soles. can also have diff leathers, sometimes has contrast between inner and outer, etc. premium also fit a bit different (just the slightest)

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
do you use blue tape so you don't get acetone on the leather / upper?

I've done it in the past when using magic eraser since its harder to control when u need to scrub more forcefully. It's not necessary with acetone cause all u need is light pressure with a paper towel dipped in it. Really hard to screw up.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first pair of CPs. They are really nice. Havent worn sneakers in forever. Breaking in the right one is super tough right now I can wear them comfortable with no socks so far. :) cheers !

Hoping next summer I'll get another pair ! (I acquire stuff slowly)

Attachments

• 328747.jpg
    328747.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 157

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads