• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your point. But I think the different silhouettes have always co-existed as long as I can remember and I don't see any reason for them not to continue to. I remember the likes of CDG offering loose suits, trousers and jackets back when I'd be shopping the DH at Dover Street Market back in 2005, Yohji etc. It may look fresh at the moment but it's been around a long time and has never caught on other than within the fashion world. I do appreciate the look, but that kind of thing will always be considered quirky which is not my image.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
that kind of thing only really appeals to people within a very small bubble. It's Zoolander to the normal person.

As once were all the items you say you wear on a regular basis. All that's changed is that those items (and cuts) have since become mainstream.

I think you would have received a lot of very funny looks if you were to have walked around in a Slimane-ish look in the mid-90s. Meanwhile, what looks Zoolandish to you today will be the mainstream in a few years.

cloonz

Reaction score
Looking good and dressing for your body type never goes out of fashion. Dave from Chromeo is a good example where I can't imagine him looking better than he does as the tall, skinny Saint Laurent rockstar. @RegisDB9 is the best example of someone from this forum who looks great every day dressing for his build and lifestyle.

Hedi is particularly good at designing flattering clothes for skinny guys/gals and staying true to his fundamentals (for the most part) which is probably why he's kept such a strong following all these years. I'm more concerned if I'm going to reach for something in my wardrobe 5-10 years from now rather than if it's trendy or not.

I think you are wasting keystrokes trying to convince this thread that the skinny silhouette is dead and it would be best to focus your energy elsewhere.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I see your point. But I think the different silhouettes have always co-existed as long as I can remember and I don't see any reason for them not to continue to. I remember the likes of CDG offering loose suits, trousers and jackets back when I'd be shopping the DH at Dover Street Market back in 2005, Yohji etc. It may look fresh at the moment but it's been around a long time and has never caught on other than within the fashion world. I do appreciate the look, but that kind of thing will always be considered quirky which is not my image.

See above. What you wear today was once also considered quirky.

But I totally understand your situation and have absolutely no reason for wanting to convince you to wear clothes that will see you become a social outcast ;)

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I think you are wasting keystrokes trying to convince this thread that the skinny silhouette is dead and it would be best to focus your energy elsewhere.

I dare say that would be the case, if it were my goal. As it is, I'm just enjoying talking to some intelligent people about fashion. I don't recall you being among them, so you might also be advised to save your keystrokes rather than telling people what they should and should not post in a public forum.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See above. What you wear today was once also considered quirky.

But I totally understand your situation and have absolutely no reason for wanting to convince you to wear clothes that will see you become a social outcast ;)

As headstrong as I am about clothes, I do still care about what thorns describes as having harmony with your environment so I'll never say never and it could well be that I evolve to wearing looser silhouettes in the future. It definitely hasn't reached that stage yet though.

More likely is that I will move even more classic and conservative as I get older and loosen the silhouette slightly for that reason, but not go in completely the opposite direction.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
As headstrong as I am about clothes, I do still care about what thorns describes as having harmony with your environment so I'll never say never and it could well be that I evolve to wearing looser silhouettes in the future. It definitely hasn't reached that stage yet though.

More likely is that I will move even more classic and conservative as I get older and loosen the silhouette slightly for that reason, but not go in completely the opposite direction.

Probably a bit of both.

In my case I've become less conservative as I age, because I - thankfully - care much less than I once did about what other people think of me. Or, rather, I care only about the opinions of those I respect (in whatever the field that might be; not talking exclusively about clothes here).

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what thorns describes as Harmony with your environment isn't necessarily about caring what others think of you. As an example, if I wear a suit to a rave, it's like a barrier between me and the other people. If I'm wearing jeans, t-shirt and sneakers then I've removed that barrier, people are at ease, and it's much easier to interact and enjoy my night out. If wearing the clothes I like ever reaches the stage where it becomes a barrier and I look weird socially, then I'll probably reconsider.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I think what thorns describes as Harmony with your environment isn't necessarily about caring what others think of you. As an example, if I wear a suit to a rave, it's like a barrier between me and the other people. If I'm wearing jeans, t-shirt and sneakers then I've removed that barrier, people are at ease, and it's much easier to interact and enjoy my night out. If wearing the clothes I like ever reaches the stage where it becomes a barrier and I look weird socially, then I'll probably reconsider.

Yeah, sorry, the caring about other people bit was only loosely related to what you said, and more about me than about you. Wasn't implying you were overly concerned with the opinions of others.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good discussion anyway.

One last thing I'll just add is that regardless of fashion and whether slim is out, the slim clothes still appeal to the people in this thread enough to spend significant amounts of money on them in a heartbeat. This is simply not the case with the oversized SS21 stuff. Nobody wants to wear that stuff. It's not very aesthetically appealing. It just doesn't look good. Even if I try I can't get myself to like it.

An oversized denim jacket with slim or skinny jeans is nice, subtle, but nobody here wants to wear this stuff. I do however think it's a cool collection for the runway.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Good discussion anyway.

One last thing I'll just add is that regardless of fashion and whether slim is out, the slim clothes still appeal to the people in this thread enough to spend significant amounts of money on them in a heartbeat. This is simply not the case with the oversized SS21 stuff. Nobody wants to wear that stuff. It's not very aesthetically appealing. It just doesn't look good. Even if I try I can't get myself to like it.

An oversized denim jacket with slim or skinny jeans is nice, subtle, but nobody here wants to wear this stuff. I do however think it's a cool collection for the runway.

I think Simmel would have something to say about this. Aesthetics are said to be "in the eye of the beholder" but what's left out of this truism is that the beholder's eye is to a considerable extent conditioned by his/her environment. You (and many others) find the slim look appealing in large part because it's what you're used to. It's what's around you. And it takes a surprisingly long time to adjust to the new. You'll say "but it's not new," but as you've also pointed out, what has existed of this look until now has "always" been highly niche.

However, that "always" really means "within your adult memory." Thanks to Armani's influence, late '80s/early '90s suits were extremely baggy, and that was the mainstream. You just don't remember this (or perhaps prefer not to).

On several occasions in the past I've looked at the way that more fashion-forward people than me dress and said "I would never wear that," only to find myself doing exactly that a few years later. It would be fascinating to dig this thread up 10 or 15 years from now and see how much of what's been said here turns out to be accurate.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So would he also say that a beautiful women is only attractive to me because I have been conditioned by society to find her beautiful? Attraction can vary somewhat but there is a level of objectivity, ratios etc. Some things just look pleasing to the eye.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
So would he also say that a beautiful women is only attractive to me because I have been conditioned by society to find her beautiful? Attraction can vary somewhat but there is a level of objectivity, ratios etc. Some things just look pleasing to the eye.

I don't know what Simmel would say about that. But I would largely agree with that statement, yes. There are also other factors, of course, such as simple symmetry and looking healthy, and probably what you look like too (it seems to be common that people are attracted to those who look like them in some way). But yes, I think that's a fairly accurate description of how we find ourselves attracted to other people.

You only have to look at the idealized beauty standards of ages gone by to see that they often do not correspond very closely to our own. Conversely, many people who are very successful models or celebrities today would not have been considered sex symbols in another age. This is another form of fashion.

Randeep

Reaction score
Attraction can vary somewhat but there is a level of objectivity, ratios etc. Some things just look pleasing to the eye.

(On women..) Definitely the case with women, despite the shift in beauty standards many in (western) cultures ostensibly hold themselves to, that's just burned into my hindbrain.

Much like why despite what society/philophiles/my age/my grandmother tells me, my gaze would always be stolen by a girl dressed like this:

_11-saint-laurent.jpg

over a girl dressed like this:

02-celine-ranked.jpg

(On guys..) I can see that on a macro level that the societal shift might waver between loose <-> skinny <-> loose, but I think (hope) that wouldn't then have an influence on what I think is fundamentally stylish (attractive) on me, and to a smaller extent in general - it's a look I've honed as I've grown and it's part of me now. I could definitely integrate some pieces from SS21 into my 'skinny' wardrobe but I couldn't fully switch to a different trend (Dancing Kid). The fully loose/wafty fits above ... I just can't ever see that conveying the kind of person I am even if it did become the norm.

It would be fascinating to dig this thread up 10 or 15 years from now and see how much of what's been said here turns out to be accurate.

Most definitely. I think the change in waistline - if anything - will be the biggest influence in how my style changes though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads