• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
It's more the strap than the backzip that is problematic. The holes on the strap are really small, and for some strange reason, perhaps due to the suede material, it's hard to get the hook into the hole. I have the SLP Hedi Jodphurs in black leather, and don't have this problem at all.

I was more referring to the crude posing with the shopping bags in the Lisa photo than what she's wearing.

Ah I see you.

I wonder what the "rules" are for a sponsored picture like this one specifically, since there is obviously a ton of money that goes into it, and if this is a choice made by Lisa and her team or the Celine team.

The sunglass case for Celine feels more "designer" and stylish than his more minimalistic case at Saint Laurent with the embossing instead of gold foil stamping on the front cover. Also I wonder if it is a practical consideration. If you have the sunglass case in a bag and it tumbles a lot it might rub around and end up rubbing off the gold foil.

View attachment 1522805
I really dislike the Saint Laurent case on the left and prefer the one of the right way better. The case on the right really fit with that classical, clean, and minimalistic vibe that I enjoy. The lack of stitching on the front makes it look so very clean, albeit boring to many people I can imagine.

I wanted to comment on this yesterday but got bored and never commented, but man I agree. The Saint Laurent one on the left has really wonky construction. It's a goofy design to be honest. It leaves a huge gap between the case and the flap while the case itself seems too tight. The closing strap can also obscure the logo which wouldn't be possible if the logo is placed slightly higher. I don't care much since I'm paying for the sunglasses, not the case, but I'd rather have the one on the right.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize they're trying to make money, but I feel like this cheapens the brand so much. I'm saddened to see a Hedi Slimane project presented like this.
I feel like the brand has to have multiple narratives in order to target as many demographics as possible. This to me feels like the image of almost any other generic luxury brand. Very festive, bright, and cheerful. This definitely would clash with Hedi’s narrative for Saint Laurent and I’m curious how it would look in 2020 if he were still at the brand. Would he have Lisa as the brand ambassador? Also, I feel like there is more of a sense of “brightness” and “approachability” at his image of Celine than at Saint Laurent. I do think the fact the bags are white and text are black, a reverse of his Saint Laurent packaging, says something about the vision Hedi is pushing. But the vision is all marketing, people can wear and style the pieces however they want.

How does that work exactly? I've never owned back zips but they seem quite easy to put on and slip off since you can pull your foot up and back instead of just up like in a sidezip.
I suspect the buckle plays a big role in minimizing the ease of putting the boot on and taking it off.

Not sure if I agree with this. It's different from the usual Hedi but it doesn't cheapen the brand. We're at a stage where even streetwear can be more expensive than designer fashion and the two worlds have merged together over the years. They're not even two different worlds anymore and I personally really like it. Kids today would rather have expensive sneakers over a pair of expensive leather boots/shoes etc.
I’m trying to think about streetwear. Hedi has been into skate LA culture since at least 2004, and maybe earlier. Isn’t that a form of streetwear? By pairing his white sneakers with his sagged washed denim and a blazer, I feel like he has always been interested in elevating the inspiration he takes from the youth. I am curious how Dior Homme fans who were older felt about those youth elements Hedi was integrating in the brand

Although most would only want to wear the jerseys in a more adidas-like concept, I like how Hedi presents it on the runway with a shirt and leather pants. I feel like streetwear elements are still being elevated. Most people are just more comfortable being more literal with their streetwear items. The jersey can be paired with a shirt and tie for a whole other look.

I cropped out Lisa’s sneakers intentionally. I think it was a big miss to not have her wear the Z trainers in the picture.

Personally, streetwear everything is kind of boring. I would like to see people mix it with more dressy pieces. People should wear their wool coats and sweaters with Z trainers, for example.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey now, I use the drawstring bag that the jeans come in all the time!
I have been thinking what bag would I consider using if I wasn’t planning on bringing my laptop, and just needed to carry a few small things. The drawstring back is not a bad idea for a pretty effortless chic option.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers and girls are such a perfect match as a casual outfit.
1608948429537.png

I'm ready to see more people rock vests again.
1608948547101.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the combat/ranger boots from Dancing Kid are going to actually be produced? I quite liked the tiger ones...
How would you style the tiger rangers? Would you pair it with other more colourful pieces so it "blends" into the outfit or would you wear mostly black with it?
1608977290232.png

Hedi has done colourful Rangers before, so I wouldn't be surprised if he releases them.
1608977441028.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surpassingly I find myself warming up to the idea of fanny packs in general. It always seemed to be the butt of jokes and not stylish but I can feel a pull towards myself choosing it as a bag for when I'm not needing to lug around my laptop.
1608980565839.png

1608980684424.png

1608980691167.png

1608980698726.png

1608980705225.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this take on ss21, subcultures and how E-boys fit in all of it.

‘Style in subculture is, then, pregnant with significance. Its transformations go ‘against nature’, interrupting the process of ‘normalization’. As such, they are gestures, movements towards a speech which offends the ‘silent majority”, which challenges the principle of unity and cohesion, which contradicts the myth of consensus. …It is this alienation from the deceptive ‘innocence’ of appearances which gives the teds, the mods, the punks and no doubt future groups of as yet unimaginable ‘deviants’ the impetus to move from man’s second ‘false nature’ (Barthes, 1972) to a genuinely expressive artifice; a truly subterranean style. ‘ Dick Hebdige: Subculture: The Meaning of Style.
I like this definition of subculture. I do think there is a deliberate desire to offend the majority, a senseless ostentatiousness to it all.

Of course e-boys on Tik Tok aren’t a real subculture, generally, the label represents people who have a large presence online ( the e stands for ‘electronic’, obvy) and tote a specific style influenced by skate culture, Emo, Goth, KPOP and Cosplay. But style here is intended as an ‘aesthetic’ or a mix of visual codes, references and color schemes that supposedly make one’s online presence cool, uncool, hot, or not.

The death of the Subculture has spawned a zombie-culture that propagates through short videos on a Chinese app. The subversive tropes of Punk, Goth, BDSM, are mere accessory to an online presence, just fun, colorful, sprinkles on a hot look, a sheen on a desirable teen object of lust.

Kids today — the new generation — they think in different ways. They don’t even have the knowledge of what a subculture is. It is not relevant to them. If they want to wear a punk shirt, that doesn’t mean that they have to listen to punk music or have a political point of view. They don’t have that mentality. In my generation, when we were grunge, we were grunge. It was a mindset.’ Lotta Volkova in 032c Magazine.
I do find myself fitting in with the group who don't really have a clue what a subculture is. Although Hedi's work largely revolves around music, I'm not the biggest fan of his music choices for runway. I think it is a nice compliment to his show, but I don't mind myself wanting to listen to it recreationally. I think I prefer his French Touch techno music from early Dior Homme and I also like the Daft Punk remix of I Gotta Try You Girl. I quite like the more low-key music he features on campaigns. I haven't had a chance to watching his films he recommended on Mubi yet, so I won't comment on that yet.

E-boys and e-girls aren’t an actual subculture with rites, music, meeting places, dress codes, one can’t be a ‘poser’ e-boy because being an e-boy AND being a poser are synonymous, the e-boy trope IS the pose, literally, since certain moves and poses are typical of this online tribe.
At the end of the day I think everyone is a poser, but some sell it better than others. Using my style framework based on movies and shows, all the characters in the show are posers. They're all literally actors playing a role from a script and wearing clothes assigned to them. This, however, doesn't break the audience's immersion because they're able to execute it all well. I see that execution as an art form.

These kids aren’t afraid of being cannibalized by the mainstream, they long for it, build towards it.
I actually resonate with this a lot. I would want Hedi's edgier pieces to be more and more mainstream so that it wouldn't be too out there for me to wear them. I would love to have leather pants come back into mainstream acceptance so that I can just wear them casually without people batting an eye. It does make it lose its edge, but that's a compromise I'm willing to pay. I guess if you already feel like you're unique and special, you won't necessarily need to wear "special" and "unique" pieces and can just focus on wearing the pieces that resonate with you.

It also works as a semi-blank slate to take some of these kids’ actual style elements and mold them into a great subcultural mismatch that ultimately plays to the designer’s strengths and personal obsessions. Elements of skater culture, also pervasive in the e-boys’ image, are merged in an apparently haphazard cut and paste way with elements of grunge, punk, 70s vintage, raver culture and even, why not, Disco.
To me it was the perfect opportunity to remix some of his previous seasons to show the modern luxury consumer how to re-style Celine pieces to become more wearable.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hedi just has great styling:

Seems like Hedi is really doubling down on Celine Homme.

This actor has such a baby face that he looks so weird with a moustache in Queen's Gambit. He looks great in Hedi though.
1608992500773.png

I wonder if the popularity of Queen's Gambit will affect upcoming Celine seasons.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After removing the C bag from their line up they no longer had a quilted bag offering. Glad with ss21 they have reintroduced another quilted bag design. I feel like the quilted design feels young, fresh, and modern.
1609002536966.png

1609002572266.png

1609002585074.png

1609002599264.png

1609002612311.png

1609002624469.png

1609002637692.png

1609002657374.png

1609002667472.png

cloonz

Reaction score
Fanny packs are sometimes passable in techwear as a crossbody bag where you need to maximize number of pockets in an outfit but they look out of place everywhere else on guys.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that about 10% of our conversation here revolves around fanny packs, but I don't see them as a big deal. They're more like trashy tourist vibe in Times Square (picture 50 y/o guy with track suit-esque comfort clothes, spiked/gel hair, took too much sun in life, etc.).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads