• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

ocooney

Reaction score

Swung by Trillium last night. Grabbed some Fort Point, Double Dry Hopped Congress, Centennial Dry Hopped Sunshower and their new Wild Ale with Honey, Bees. Looking forward to trying that one as well as the sunshower but last night I felt like hops and opened a Fort Point. Been a while since I had the original (read: citra) version of this and I forgot how good it is. Pretty much perfection when it comes to a hoppy beer and I'm so lucky these guys are in my backyard. I'm going to be screwed if I ever move. That said I still need to try PsuedoSue by TG. I've heard it's similar to FPPA.

Ha! I was there around 5 and grabbed some of the Bees and Artaic

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha! I was there around 5 and grabbed some of the Bees and Artaic

I was their around 6:15ish so I think we missed each other. Artaic is really tasty. I probably should have grabbed another but I felt like mixing it up and getting Sunshower. I'm thinking I might go to Tree House tomorrow night... will let you know if I commit. Would go Saturday when I'm headed out your way for our share but they will be closed and I think the morning is going to be a nuthouse with the anniversary party.

ocooney

Reaction score

I was their around 6:15ish so I think we missed each other. Artaic is really tasty. I probably should have grabbed another but I felt like mixing it up and getting Sunshower. I'm thinking I might go to Tree House tomorrow night... will let you know if I commit. Would go Saturday when I'm headed out your way for our share but they will be closed and I think the morning is going to be a nuthouse with the anniversary party.

Armsby has Allagash Nancy, Resurgam, Evora (don't know that one), and Currant Affair on draft. If you go to Treehouse, that might be worth a detour.
Let me know...I have a commitment for most of the evening, but could make it down later.

caid-bp7

Reaction score
I need some beer tourist advice. I'm going to be in San Francisco for work a few times over the next couple months. I've got a longer trip in August where I'll be able to make it out of the city, but for the couple days I'm there this month any tips on what to check out? It's during the week and I'll have evenings free. I'm staying at The Palace Hotel which seems close to 21st Amendment, Mikkeler Bar and not too far from Toronado. I'm coming in from Canada so pretty much everything will be new to me. Is there anything I definitely shouldn't miss?

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some beer tourist advice. I'm going to be in San Francisco for work a few times over the next couple months. I've got a longer trip in August where I'll be able to make it out of the city, but for the couple days I'm there this month any tips on what to check out? It's during the week and I'll have evenings free. I'm staying at The Palace Hotel which seems close to 21st Amendment, Mikkeler Bar and not too far from Toronado. I'm coming in from Canada so pretty much everything will be new to me. Is there anything I definitely shouldn't miss?

Not an SF native so I'm no authority but Mikkeller Bar and Toronado are definitely good stops. 21st Amendment's beer is okay, has a lot of competition in that area. Be on the look out for Russian River and Almanac beers - for your longer trip you should make the drive up to Santa Rosa to visit RR. Apparently you can find Lost Abbey's Cable Car beers in bars in SF and those are definitely worth a try if you see them. I haven't been but I heard Cellarmaker is really good and worth a visit. The Rare Barrel is in Berkley and they make amazing beer. For your longer trip, you'll have to make the trip out Sante Adairius Rustic Ales.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@ken p, hook me up with some beer please <3

caid-bp7

Reaction score

Not an SF native so I'm no authority but Mikkeller Bar and Toronado are definitely good stops. 21st Amendment's beer is okay, has a lot of competition in that area. Be on the look out for Russian River and Almanac beers - for your longer trip you should make the drive up to Santa Rosa to visit RR. Apparently you can find Lost Abbey's Cable Car beers in bars in SF and those are definitely worth a try if you see them. I haven't been but I heard Cellarmaker is really good and worth a visit. The Rare Barrel is in Berkley and they make amazing beer. For your longer trip, you'll have to make the trip out Sante Adairius Rustic Ales.

The Russian River pilgrimage is on the agenda for August! I am already excited and my wife is already rolling her eyes. Thanks for the other recommendations. Cellarmaker looks awesome and it is only a few blocks from the hotel. A quick check shows Toronado has Cable Car Ale on tap right now, so hopefully they have enough to last into next week. Rare Barrel and Sante Adairius are now on the agenda for August as well.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fu ken, are you rubbing it in my face saying you don't know what you're going to do if you move. Try moving to DC the beer here sucks. Hoppy north east beer ruined me

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ken p, hook me up with some beer please <3

Next time I come down to NYC, I'll bring some beer for you.

Fu ken, are you rubbing it in my face saying you don't know what you're going to do if you move. Try moving to DC the beer here sucks. Hoppy north east beer ruined me

Haha, didn't mean to rub it in but that's exactly what I'm talking about. I have no interest in hoppy beer from elsewhere. No real interest in chasing Heady anymore. Lawson's stuff is good but not worth the effort. NEBCO is bleh. Pliny also eh. HF, Tree House and Trillium are the only hoppy beers I need these days. The latter usually being my preference.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caid, in spite of their average Yelp reviews, I always enjoy taking the ferry across the bay to Marin Brewing Company. I like their beers (Mt. Tam and Cuvee Roge) and it's fun to get out of the city and into the sunshine for a bit. The ferry usually has some decent beers for the ride over too. Last time they had the Lagunitas Sucks. Makes for a nice outing, In the city itself, I'd just add Church Key, Magnolia and La Trappe Cafe to Ken P's list.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X2 for Mikkeller Bar in SF. Awesome atmosphere and solid selection, if a bit small.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seizoen bretta isn't as sour as i remember

That was my impression last time I had it too.

And speaking of not as sour: this one was definitely not as sour as most other Cascades. Kinda sweet, kinda sour, perfect for a warm Friday night after work. I guess we'd been holding on to this one for quite some time:

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to churchkey last night and dropped some cash...guess I really wanted decent beer

Oxbow Loretta. Refreshing on a mid 90s day
Grassroots artic saison. Not worth 32 bucks
Prairie collab forget the name but it had blackberries in it. This one was not my favorite the malt wasn't done right.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That was my impression last time I had it too.

And speaking of not as sour: this one was definitely not as sour as most other Cascades. Kinda sweet, kinda sour, perfect for a warm Friday night after work. I guess we'd been holding on to this one for quite some time:

i need to look for this

seizoen bretta tastes more like a slightly sour saison now.

almanac is making it's way up oregon. had some farmer's reserve strawberry on draft. tastes oddly extract maybe jam like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads