• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tb43

Reaction score
Posted in Ae thread also- but excited to get my two new favorite pairs. The color 8 is so dark

iLuveketchup

Reaction score

I'm looking for some Opinions on wearing or not wearing shell cordovan in the north east today. It's raining and cold. I'll be running errands and in and out of my car. Walking through parking lots etc... Opinions please.

Just my preference, I will be walking all around NYC today and I won't be wearing shell. I'm sure there will be no issues, but given another option, I'd personally chose another i.e. Kudu UI.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for some Opinions on wearing or not wearing shell cordovan in the north east today. It's raining and cold. I'll be running errands and in and out of my car. Walking through parking lots etc... Opinions please.

A little Alden Defender and enjoy!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I would not be wearing something that I typically would wear for dress clothes/suits but a shell Indy or tanker...I say fire away. I have a few pairs of shell boots and shoes that see lots of rain/winter weather.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just back from vacation equates to a crazy work week. The weather did provide me the opportunity to change things up a little. Here's a few pic's.....

Tuesday - AoM cigar SW
Wednesday - Leffott Chamois Greenwich (3rd wear in 1.5 years) must wear more often
Thursday - Fran's Boone / Ahonshoes collaboration - Cigar PTB w/brass eyelets
Friday - B&M Snuff WT Boots

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking Proper as Always @Shawnc

Also, good to see General McArthur boosting the moral of the Alden Army again.

@mcarthur Your Alden's are why I am into the game today, so, thank you Sir.

image_zps6m7du5zd.jpeg

bm93

Reaction score

I honestly don't understand why it's such a big deal to wear shell in the rain. I wore my Alden x J.Crew PCT boots out in the rain the other day and the rain wiped right off without any spotting or anything. To me, shell actually seems to be a pretty good inclement weather material. As others have said, I guess it depends on the type of shoe. I've also heard that spotting tends to be more noticeable with lighter shades of shell.

The way I see it, at the end of the day, they're shoes and they're meant to be enjoyed. The effects rain has on shell are purely aesthetic; it does not affect the integrity of the shoe, and so therefore, I have no problem wearing my shell shoes out, rain or shine. Others may disagree, and that's ok.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I honestly don't understand why it's such a big deal to wear shell in the rain. I wore my Alden x J.Crew PCT boots out in the rain the other day and the rain wiped right off without any spotting or anything. To me, shell actually seems to be a pretty good inclement weather material. As others have said, I guess it depends on the type of shoe. I've also heard that spotting tends to be more noticeable with lighter shades of shell. 

The way I see it, at the end of the day, they're shoes and they're meant to be enjoyed. The effects rain has on shell are purely aesthetic; it does not affect the integrity of the shoe, and so therefore, I have no problem wearing my shell shoes out, rain or shine. Others may disagree, and that's ok. :)

I wear mine regardless of the weather. I get dressed in the morning and pick a boot/shoe that works best with the outfit. It's ridiculous to me to check if it's raining everyday to coordinate my footwear. They are boots not priceless objects.

Last edited:

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Leather Soul Color #4 4X4 for sale on eBay. :stirpot:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking Proper as Always @Shawnc
image_zps6m7du5zd.jpeg
Appreciate it Watchman. Nice ravello Captoes. Can't tell if those are the AoDC w/commando or not but they look great either way. Rarely start thinking about Mondays gear on Saturday, but I think you just inspired me to wear mine on Monday.
My "Brassvello" LWBs by Mack (Sublime Goods). Unfortunately no sunlight today, and more 'brown' toned than the originals, but I'm looking forward to these develop with wear
Sunlight or not, those look great. I need a catchy name for my cigars with brass. Brassvello flows quite nicely. My compliments to Mack. He did a really nice job.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Since much shell spots and looks like a $2 shoe when it does...pretty sure in some business workplaces that would be frowned upon going to an important meeting in what looks like leopard spotted shoes.

Buddha25

Reaction score
Does anyone have any shots of Ravello PTB? I would love to see them, especially when aged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads