• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Reaction score

I'm hoping those with experience with reverse tobacco chamois can offer some insights on a fit question. The situation is as follows: I am looking at a rtc model on barrie. The problem is that the retailer has only stocked it in E widths, whereas I normally take a D width. I have had varying degrees of success on interpolating fit by playing with widths. For example, when I bought whiskey shell lwb's, I dropped my D width size by one half and took the shorter but wider E model; the fit has been wonderful. However, when I bought a (non-roughout) tobacco chamois boot, I also subtracted a half size and moved from D to E; in this second case, however, it turns out I rarely wear the boot because the fit is a bit on the tight side, so other boots always end up jumping the line past the chammy boot.

This brings me to the question at hand: those who have reverse tobacco chamois shoes or boots, particularly on the Barrie - have you found that the fit is any tighter or looser as compared with a comparable size in different materials, such as shell cordovan, calf or alpine grain? I don't want a tight, barely-passable fit by going with the shorter length, wider width option. However, I don't want the shoe to fit loose by taking an extra width (normal shoe size, but in an E). Advice? The prospective purchase is an LWB. (My only reference is my Ep Ironside Indys on reverse earth chamois in my normal Trubalance size. In this case, there is a slight tightness, but I wasn't sure if that necessarily predicts a tightness for reverse tobacco). 

Curious especially about the experiences of those who are wearing the Leffot Greenwich rtc boots on Barrie.

My wife has not helped by maintaining her position that the need is served well enough by my natty cxl lwbs, and various Indys, and Leffot Tankers, and Vibergs and, well, you get the picture...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences you care to share!

My chamois experiences are as follows:

I do not change my sizing for chamois.

I have Barrie smooth chamois boots that fit a little tighter than any Barrie shoe or boot I own. They eventually broke in and fit great now.

I have a Barrie reverse chamois LWB that fits the same as any Barrie shoe I own including stretchy CXL.

I also have the EP Ironside boots. They fit about the same as my CXL and shell boots in the same last although I noticed I have to tighten the laces more on the vamp on the Ironside Indys.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tobacco chamois def fits tighter than calf or shell. i find trubalance on d width to be a little loose but same size with tc fits snug.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping those with experience with reverse tobacco chamois can offer some insights on a fit question. The situation is as follows: I am looking at a rtc model on barrie. The problem is that the retailer has only stocked it in E widths, whereas I normally take a D width. I have had varying degrees of success on interpolating fit by playing with widths. For example, when I bought whiskey shell lwb's, I dropped my D width size by one half and took the shorter but wider E model; the fit has been wonderful. However, when I bought a (non-roughout) tobacco chamois boot, I also subtracted a half size and moved from D to E; in this second case, however, it turns out I rarely wear the boot because the fit is a bit on the tight side, so other boots always end up jumping the line past the chammy boot.

This brings me to the question at hand: those who have reverse tobacco chamois shoes or boots, particularly on the Barrie - have you found that the fit is any tighter or looser as compared with a comparable size in different materials, such as shell cordovan, calf or alpine grain? I don't want a tight, barely-passable fit by going with the shorter length, wider width option. However, I don't want the shoe to fit loose by taking an extra width (normal shoe size, but in an E). Advice? The prospective purchase is an LWB. (My only reference is my Ep Ironside Indys on reverse earth chamois in my normal Trubalance size. In this case, there is a slight tightness, but I wasn't sure if that necessarily predicts a tightness for reverse tobacco). 

Curious especially about the experiences of those who are wearing the Leffot Greenwich rtc boots on Barrie.

My wife has not helped by maintaining her position that the need is served well enough by my natty cxl lwbs, and various Indys, and Leffot Tankers, and Vibergs and, well, you get the picture...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences you care to share!

I've got the Leffot Greenwich and employed the exact strategy you mention. I went from my normal 9D in Barrie boot to an 8.5E primarily because I planned on wearing a thicker sock. Fits like a glove.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yea. Its just in my mind. $325 was closer to $300, and $375 is closer to $400. The 300-325 is more in my impulse buy range. Yea, those Indys. Fellow 11D? I got the #8 LWB and BB LHS. So I was already running up a tab.

rick

Reaction score
hi does anyone know who might be offering a six eyelet chukka non shell in barrie or trubalance last. looking for a boot/shoe.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are my favorite Aldens: Whiskey and mahogany saddle Norwegians. Alden AF1 (The first "fan" shoe from Alden of Carmel.)

wowzah great pic kai

docalden2013

Reaction score
My chamois experiences are as follows:

I do not change my sizing for chamois.

I have Barrie smooth chamois boots that fit a little tighter than any Barrie shoe or boot I own. They eventually broke in and fit great now.

I have a Barrie reverse chamois LWB that fits the same as any Barrie shoe I own including stretchy CXL.

I also have the EP Ironside boots. They fit about the same as my CXL and shell boots in the same last although I noticed I have to tighten the laces more on the vamp on the Ironside Indys.

tobacco chamois def fits tighter than calf or shell. i find trubalance on d width to be a little loose but same size with tc fits snug.

I've got the Leffot Greenwich and employed the exact strategy you mention. I went from my normal 9D in Barrie boot to an 8.5E primarily because I planned on wearing a thicker sock. Fits like a glove.
Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful responses. I'm thinking I don't want to be spending energy thinking about which socks work with this particular model, so erring on the larger side of things to account for tobacco chammois-related tight fitment might be a way to go.

On the other hand, if any of you gents are game for a reverse tobacco longwing, maybe we could get some traction for an MTO-type of thing so that I could dial the size in with more precision. In my imagination, we'd be looking at brass agatines and antique edging for starters. Double leather or commando would be fine with me. What say you folks?

Last edited:

zennypoo

Reaction score

Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful responses. I'm thinking I don't want to be spending energy thinking about which socks work with this particular model, so erring on the larger side of things to account for tobacco chammois-related tight fitment might be a way to go.

On the other hand, if any of you gents are game for a reverse tobacco longwing, maybe we could get some traction for an MTO-type of thing so that I could dial the size in with more precision. In my imagination, we'd be looking at brass agatines and antique edging for starters. Double leather or commando would be fine with me. What say you folks?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Where you thinking tobacco, earth, or navy reverse chamois? The Epaulet alt Wien bluchers were made with earth chamois, so perhaps tobacco or navy would be interesting for this? I agree with commando sole and antique edging, though brass eyelets might make this too casual. Perhaps color matched exposed metal eyelets?

-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads