• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Reaction score

Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful responses. I'm thinking I don't want to be spending energy thinking about which socks work with this particular model, so erring on the larger side of things to account for tobacco chammois-related tight fitment might be a way to go.

On the other hand, if any of you gents are game for a reverse tobacco longwing, maybe we could get some traction for an MTO-type of thing so that I could dial the size in with more precision. In my imagination, we'd be looking at brass agatines and antique edging for starters. Double leather or commando would be fine with me. What say you folks?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Where you thinking tobacco, earth, or navy reverse chamois? The Epaulet alt Wien bluchers were made with earth chamois, so perhaps tobacco or navy would be interesting for this? I agree with commando sole and antique edging, though brass eyelets might make this too casual. Perhaps color matched exposed metal eyelets?

-D

In case you're wondering what those would look like, these are mine from last week:

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered the Alden X Lost & Found Inside Out Navy Silksport Indy Boot and have some concerns with the misstitch and dent on the toebox in the final photo. Is this something that would warrant a return? I'm really hoping I don't have but would love to hear thoughts on the matter. If you have any questions on the boot itself let me know!

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@grizzlygiant all I can say is that those are beautiful boots. Congratulations. Good luck with your decision.

BenLeaman

Reaction score
Is this something that would warrant a return?

They look phenomenal and the stitching defect you mentioned is unfortunately common to Alden but will not have any negative affect on the boots whatsoever. I can't even find the dent.

In my opinion, those are keepers I would not return them. Keeping in mind that I am just a stranger on an internet forum; only you can decide if they are acceptable to you.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Alden CXL PTB looks like a beautiful makeup. It looks to me like it MAY be unlined despite their comment on lining and it looks like it may be on the Flex Welt (an Alden special sole made by soaking the sole in oil to be softer and more flexible and more water repellent).

-Mike

I am probably going to pull the trigger on this- my one concern is how wrinkled an unlined CXL PTB will get... having only recently seen natural CXL in person I really love the look. This will be a great casual shoe.

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
They look phenomenal and the stitching defect you mentioned is unfortunately common to Alden but will not have any negative affect on the boots whatsoever. I can't even find the dent.

In my opinion, those are keepers I would not return them. Keeping in mind that I am just a stranger on an internet forum; only you can decide if they are acceptable to you.
Yes, between this and GYW I've decided to keep it. I'm not super picky but wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect the long term integrity of the boot. Thanks!

McQ7

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
Mdubs, I had read on this thread that the JCrew model is a more narrow Barrie than standard Alden, so that's why the 8.5 (my Brannock and what I wear in J&M shoes) and the 8, as well.
Pics are coming, but I'm really nervous about the correct sizing with these. With the price, I don't want to blow it. The 8 feels really good, not too narrow...just about perfect width. And the arch feels like and appears to match my foot.
However, I can tell that my first crease on these is going to be just a couple/few millimeters away from the cap seam at the big toe area. I've been looking at tons of crease pics, but most of what I see are creases in the middle of the space between the cap and laces. Is what I'm seeing normal or is it possible the ball of my foot is too far forward in the shoe?
Again, the arch matches up, and the ball appears to match the flex point, but the crease is really far forward--almost hitting the cap seam.
P.S. This is only on my right foot, by the way. The left appears that it will crease slightly further back, more direct middle.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is quite cool. You're in Chicago, right? Who did you use for these?

Yes Sir,

I am indeed located in Greater Chicago-Land. A fella in Rockford IL by the name of Tom:

http://palaceshoeservice.com/

Don't let the lack luster appearance of the shop fool you, he and his brother are master craftsmen IMHO.

The Dad still works there with him and he started working on soldiers boots during WW2. And, even he learned from his Pops.

So, like 3rd gen at least.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes Sir,

I am indeed located in Greater Chicago-Land.  I fella in Rockford IL by the name of Tom:

http://palaceshoeservice.com/

Don't let the lack luster appearance of the shop fool you, he and his brother are master craftsmen IMHO.

The Dad still works there with him and he started working on soldiers boots during WW2.  And, even he learned from his Pops.

So, like 3rd gen at least.

Thanks.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

iLuveketchup

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
Mdubs, I had read on this thread that the JCrew model is a more narrow Barrie than standard Alden, so that's why the 8.5 (my Brannock and what I wear in J&M shoes) and the 8, as well.
Pics are coming, but I'm really nervous about the correct sizing with these. With the price, I don't want to blow it. The 8 feels really good, not too narrow...just about perfect width. And the arch feels like and appears to match my foot.
However, I can tell that my first crease on these is going to be just a couple/few millimeters away from the cap seam at the big toe area. I've been looking at tons of crease pics, but most of what I see are creases in the middle of the space between the cap and laces. Is what I'm seeing normal or is it possible the ball of my foot is too far forward in the shoe?
Again, the arch matches up, and the ball appears to match the flex point, but the crease is really far forward--almost hitting the cap seam.
P.S. This is only on my right foot, by the way. The left appears that it will crease slightly further back, more direct middle.
Like you, I've sized 1/2 up from my regular Barrie size for the JCrew PCT (so effectively my TTS). Everyone's foot is different, but these boots feel like they're sized the same as my other Barrie lasted boot and didn't need to size 1/2 up.

So in summary, I've bought these boots and they're a half size too big.

McQ7

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, the more I dig around the more it seems like the Alden JCrew cordovan cap toe boots are half and half with TTS vs size down 1/2. Most of the comments I've seen about going TTS have to do with width only. In other words, if you can size down and the width is still good, then you'll perceive it to fit like every other Barrie last.

Just saw your previous post--thank you for confirming about the length of the PCT compared to other Barrie boots! I somehow missed that a few days ago.

I agree with this. I bought a half size larger than my Barrie boot size on the JCrew PCT and it fits a bit loose. My regular Barrie size would have been perfect.

I think the +1/2 size over Barrie is a quick fix for those that have wider feet and need an E width etc. From my experience, the length of the PCT is consistent with other Barrie boots.

The size 8 boots feel good, snug but not too tight. I can wear thicker socks and have the laces further apart or wear medium/thin socks and tighten up the laces and still not have them touching. The arch area does feel like it lines up.

On the size 8.5, it feels like I have extra room in the width, and they just plain don't feel as good as the size 8.

It was really just seeing how the size 8 is going to crease that gave me second thoughts about the fit. I did find a YouTube review of them, and the crease near the cap on this person's left foot is pretty similar to what I think I will be getting, so I guess I'm probably fine. He states that he sized down 1/2 for these boots:

0.jpg

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I understand your concern and wanting for everything to look pristine. I have the J. Crew #8 PCT boots as well and I went 1/2 size down from TTS. They are very comfortable and fit me really well. I have sized all my Barrie boots this way and feel they all fit pretty much the same. I don't find the J. Crew boots to fit smaller as some have stated. But everybody's feet are different. I also have a very small crease on the right boot's cap toe. The main creases on the boot are in the normal (desired) place. But the left boot has no creases on the cap toe. My right foot is the larger foot so maybe that contributes. But none of my other Barrie boots have creases in the cap toe.

Everybody's different but I don't even worry about it anymore. Good luck and welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members