• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JjasonL

Reaction score
Yes, me too. I remember walking past the SF Alden Shop a few years ago, looking in the window, and thinking how amazing they all looked but they were out of my budget.
I didn't like the contrast stitching on the Indy's at first, myself, but it's grown on me. Since then, I've probably picked up 8 or 9 pieces from SF Alden, and have more Alden's now than any other maker...
I'm not sure if living so close to an Alden store is a blessing or a curse! I would probably be broke if i lived near one.

gr789

Reaction score
I've decided to start "The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread" this morning to celebrate the iconic boot. I have a number of them now, and find myself regularly wearing a pair these days whether it's in my work casual environment, taking a hike in the hills, or just going about my daily life. So, stop on over, if you're inspired to, and post some of your photos, etc, etc.

Cheers
Sean

http://www.styleforum.net/t/480296/the-official-alden-indy-appreciation-thread
Nice idea, thought I'd cross post some of my Indys. Not a fan of the contrast stitch, so I gravitate to the looks of the AoC black calf on commando and Need Supply Church Hill.

Carson

Reaction score
I'm not sure if living so close to an Alden store is a blessing or a curse! I would probably be broke if i lived near one.
Dude, it is both a blessing AND a curse!

Robert always smiles, mischievously when I saunter in...

My income-to-Alden purchase ratio might be one of the most ridiculous on the thread...

Last edited:

RobinM

Reaction score

So it's only used on color 8?

No. Most but not all Alden shell shoes have that, regardless of color. The exceptions I can think of are: Leffot cigar x snuff suede saddles. Aof Carmel color 2 lwb, I have also seen a pair of matt surface #8 model form Anatomica years ago.

Carson

Reaction score
Nice idea, thought I'd cross post some of my Indys. Not a fan of the contrast stitch, so I gravitate to the looks of the AoC black calf on commando and Need Supply Church Hill.

Nice, I almost bid on a NS Church hill on Ebay recently…how do you like the close welt on that? Good looking Indy. Both are dressy-ish, which is nice….

Last edited:

gr789

Reaction score
Nice, I almost bid on a NS Church hill on Ebay recently…how do you like the close welt on that? Good looking Indy
Thanks, the Church Hill is almost dressy (almost) -very much helped by the welt. I really like them (and will someday wear them...)

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

In my experience, that finish is on my black, ravello, cigar and whiskey Alden shell cordovan,  The #2 seems to have been the one exception in Alden's repertoire (at least from what I hear, I don't own any #2).  I also have no experience with #4.

It's an option that the vendors could technically request to not have added onto the shoes. Adam elected to not have it on the Color #2 LWBs in order to maintain the overall casual vibe. Essentially all of the Color #4 make ups have the finish as well with the one exception of the Saddles. The LS and the JGilbert Saddles do not have the finish on the #4 Shell. It's why it has a more orange appearance than other #4 make ups.

-Mike

Last edited:

AldenLuver

Reaction score
A pair of CIGAR lhs on ebay...look closely where they're from :rotflmao:
Must be colour 8. We all know Sherman Brothers doesn't get any rare shell, nor does anyone else for that matter!! YOU ARE ALL BEING DUPED!
The first pair of "rare/exotic" shell I saw in person was at Sherman Bros in Philly; ravello LHS, about 4 years ago.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With all due respect, I don't understand this Shell obsession. I have only one pair of aldens, and I like them very much and intend on buying more.

I had the opportunity to buy some shell LWBs from Alden DC, and passed and instead chose to buy some in Kudu. It was my first time seeing shell, and honestly, it looked like the cheap plasticy leather one finds on sub 100 dollar shoes. 

I read on these forums that you shouldn't get it wet either. 

This is one fashion trend that I will allow to pass me by. My wallet probably will thank me... 

Yea your wallet will thank you, now move along.... Jeez.. Can I rain on your parade today for any reason...

Bbombers85

Reaction score
Well the 7th addition to my Alden collection has arrived. The Ravello isn't the brownvello from 2014, thankfully, but also isn't the preferred "reddish-orange" shade. This is my first boot in the grant last. It's going to be a bit getting used to and I didn't want to tie the laces to tight yet and crease them up. Apologies in advance for the photos - I'm not the best as making them look professional haha.

Current Collection:
1. Color 8 Chukkas (J. Crew)
2. Chromexcel Indy (J. Crew)
3. Color 8 LWB (Leffot)
4. Cigar Indy (Leffot)
5. Whiskey Wingtip Boot (AoM)
6. Cigar PTB (Alden SF)
7. Ravello Captoe Boot (Alden DC)

On preorder:
1. Ravello LWB (AoM)
2. Cigar LWB (AoM)
3. Color 8 Tanker (Context)

Last edited:

Curbed Enthusiasm

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice on my 1st pair of Aldens. I ended up getting a slightly different version of the burgundy mediallian captoe - the 908 balmoral model. I think they are absolutely stunning but I'm curious to hear if you guys think they are a good, versatile first pair. I haven't worn them yet because I keep asking myself "is this the right pair?" - which under normal circumstance wouldn't be a question if not for the price, which is more than I've ever paid for shoes before.

http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=36

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the 7th addition to my Alden collection has arrived. The Ravello isn't the brownvello from 2014, thankfully, but also isn't the preferred "reddish-orange" shade. This is my first boot in the grant last. It's going to be a bit getting used to and I didn't want to tie the laces to tight yet and crease them up. Apologies in advance for the photos - I'm not the best as making them look professional haha.

Current Collection:
1. Color 8 Chukkas (J. Crew)
2. Chromexcel Indy (J. Crew)
3. Color 8 LWB (Leffot)
4. Cigar Indy (Leffot)
5. Whiskey Wingtip Boot (AoM)
6. Cigar PTB (Alden SF)
7. Ravello Captoe Boot (Alden DC)

On preorder:
1. Ravello LWB (AoM)
2. Cigar LWB (AoM)
3. Color 8 Tanker (Context)

Thats a great collection with an absolutely gorgeous addition to the family, congrats. I love that boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads