• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
I keep seeing people say the AF53 plain toe color 8 boot is a classic Alden shoe, yet when I google Alden AF53 or search this thread I see very very few fit pics.

Can anyone help me out? :)

HenryIII

Reaction score

Well the 7th addition to my Alden collection has arrived. The Ravello isn't the brownvello from 2014, thankfully, but also isn't the preferred "reddish-orange" shade. This is my first boot in the grant last. It's going to be a bit getting used to and I didn't want to tie the laces to tight yet and crease them up. Apologies in advance for the photos - I'm not the best as making them look professional haha.
Current Collection: 1. Color 8 Chukkas (J. Crew) 2. Chromexcel Indy (J. Crew) 3. Color 8 LWB (Leffot) 4. Cigar Indy (Leffot) 5. Whiskey Wingtip Boot (AoM) 6. Cigar PTB (Alden SF) 7. Ravello Captoe Boot (Alden DC) On preorder: 1. Ravello LWB (AoM) 2. Cigar LWB (AoM) 3. Color 8 Tanker (Context)
Fantastic! Can I ask what size you went with on Grant and what is your Barrie size?

HenryIII

Reaction score

Thank you all for your advice on my 1st pair of Aldens. I ended up getting a slightly different version of the burgundy mediallian captoe - the 908 balmoral model. I think they are absolutely stunning but I'm curious to hear if you guys think they are a good, versatile first pair. I haven't worn them yet because I keep asking myself "is this the right pair?" - which under normal circumstance wouldn't be a question if not for the price, which is more than I've ever paid for shoes before.

http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=36

IMHO, they are a classic shoe for suits and business casual (wool trousers, sport coats, etc). For business wear, I would say it's very versatile. Probably not a denim or even chino shoe, for me at least. I love it however and have now suddenly realized (after having to wear a suit for a few days in a row) that I have loaded up on too many casual Alden styles. I need to start thinking about a more formal addition, like this one.

Bbombers85

Reaction score
[/spoiler]

Fantastic! Can I ask what size you went with on Grant and what is your Barrie size?

I went with 10.5D. My barrie size is 10D. I need to just commit and tighten up the laces a bit and I think they'll be fine. The width is great. I found the length to be slightly more and the heel area to be a little looser. I don't plan on waiting long before unleashing these in the wild so will report back on them again then.

mrfixit

Reaction score

Thank you all for your advice on my 1st pair of Aldens. I ended up getting a slightly different version of the burgundy mediallian captoe - the 908 balmoral model. I think they are absolutely stunning but I'm curious to hear if you guys think they are a good, versatile first pair. I haven't worn them yet because I keep asking myself "is this the right pair?" - which under normal circumstance wouldn't be a question if not for the price, which is more than I've ever paid for shoes before.

for suits and other business attire, this is a homerun.

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the Milkshake Indy boots with commando soles? Would I be crazy to wear them in the rain and snow?

I think some beat up stained white boots would look awesome, and that commando sole is just inviting abuse....

iLuveketchup

Reaction score
Current Collection:
1. Color 8 Chukkas (J. Crew)
2. Chromexcel Indy (J. Crew)
3. Color 8 LWB (Leffot)
4. Cigar Indy (Leffot)
5. Whiskey Wingtip Boot (AoM)
6. Cigar PTB (Alden SF)
7. Ravello Captoe Boot (Alden DC)

On preorder:
1. Ravello LWB (AoM)
2. Cigar LWB (AoM)
3. Color 8 Tanker (Context)
Nice collection there!!
fing02[1].gif

iLuveketchup

Reaction score
I keep seeing people say the AF53 plain toe color 8 boot is a classic Alden shoe, yet when I google Alden AF53 or search this thread I see very very few fit pics.

Can anyone help me out?
smile.gif
I have some AF53 photos on my FS link below. But it's probably not a good representation as they are not laced nor worn in. They look a bit bulbous in the photos.

Last edited:

AnOxymoron

Reaction score

I have some AF53 photos on my FS link below. But it's probably not a good representation as they are not laced nor worn in. They look a bit bulbous in the photos.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm mostly trying to find some pics of how they look with some slim chinos or selvage denim, since that's my normal attire.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes Sir,

That is a great model. Especially for business wear.

The only drawback that I can see is that they are not cordovan. :)

Have You considered the 974?

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the Milkshake Indy boots with commando soles? Would I be crazy to wear them in the rain and snow?

I think some beat up stained white boots would look awesome, and that commando sole is just inviting abuse....

I recently bought a pair of Milkshake suede medallion cap toe boot and I think they are lovely.

In fact, I tend to wear suede shoes/boots during rainy day. Just spray some nano protector on them from time to time and you'll be good.

Here is a photo of my recently purcahsed milkshake suede medallion CT boot on Hampton last from Tassels HK.

Last edited:

hkpm

Reaction score
The Indy was my most worn boot over the winter. Next year it will have the Natty Tanker, Snuff WT Boot and B&M Reverse Chamois boot to contend with, but I am sure it will still get a lot of wear!

May I ask where did you get the natty tanker?
I have been searching for it for awhile and it seems no retailer carries them currently.

BTW, I also bite the bullet and order the snuff WT boot from Epaulet, even never tried on the plaza last before.
Good luck to me
tongue.gif

AnOxymoron

Reaction score

I recently bought a pair of Milkshake suede medallion cap toe boot and I think they are lovely.

In fact, I tend to wear suede shoes/boots during rainy day. Just spray some nano protector on them from time to time and you'll be good.

Sweet! I just found these photos of a SF user's beat up milkshake indys. I think they look pretty awesome.

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score
Sweet! I just found these photos of a SF user's beat up milkshake indys. I think they look pretty awesome.

Nice, those have been beaten up really well! And thanks to the technology, I think it will look even nice with some protector on from time to time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members