• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBear

Reaction score
I am eagerly awaiting my new Whiskey LWBs (!). My concern is how the creasing will become, since my feet are somewhat different in size. The right foot is slightly shorter/wider/has less volume than the left.
I know that the creasing will be quite different on the new shoes and the question is what to do about it. On one hand I love creases and think that there is something beautiful with quality shoes shaping to the feet and creases telling the story (particularly on a plain toe), on the other hand I know that many consider creases to be unwanted and recommend the “pencil trick”. My problem with the pencil trick is that since the feet are slightly different I will set the creases where they don’t belong and who knows then what the shoes will look like in the long run?
I’d like to hear what you all think about setting creases in general, an also about setting them in places where they normally wouldn’t form.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Wow, you put a lot of thought in to it. I just wear mine and what will be will be. I don't do the Mac break in method or any if these other 'tricks'.

McBear

Reaction score
I know, but I never did order such a great shoe before and I want to get it right from the start.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you put a lot of thought in to it. I just wear mine and what will be will be. I don't do the Mac break in method or any if these other 'tricks'.
+1,000,000. So nice to see this. I have a brand new pair of ravello NST Aberdeen boots. I will be wearing them today sans Mac method, sans pencil trick, sans any other technique.

I know, but I never did order such a great shoe before and I want to get it right from the start.
Everybody has a different opinion and is entitled to it. In my view, shell rolls and that is the nature of shell. If you don't like it, shell might not really be the thing for you. Of course, I wish you the best of luck in trying to wear the shoes and keep the shell from rolling. But I'd ask yourself if, on a casual style like the LWB, it really matters all that much. They might look better with it.

Last edited:

McBear

Reaction score
Hi budapest12, thank's for your reply that's precisely one kind of answer I was looking for.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Went with the Leffot tobacco chamois LWBs today.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ha. I think I called around then and talked with Joe. He sorta put me on hold and I heard a few guys talking about shell belts and they only had 28s and like 44s. Was kinda fun being a fly on the wall. I was a bit bummed to find out I didn't get put on the Ravello LWB list last week. So now i'm #2, again.

Vicious49

Reaction score
In my view, shell rolls and that is the nature of shell. If you don't like it, shell might not really be the thing for you.

That might be one of the reasons I'm not as big on shell as most others in this thread. I have the 4060 but those didn't really roll at all, maybe due to the captoe design. Aesthetically I prefer creases over rolls.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If it ease's your mind any I went a full size down from my measured size on Barrie and Trubalance shoes. 12D measured, 11D Barrie. I still haven't fully gotten used to it in my mind yet though.

Disco Volante

Reaction score

[COLOR=1F497D]I am eagerly awaiting my new Whiskey LWBs (!). My concern is how the creasing will become, since my feet are somewhat different in size. The right foot is slightly shorter/wider/has less volume than the left.
I know that the creasing will be quite different on the new shoes and the question is what to do about it. On one hand I [COLOR=1F497D]love creases and[/COLOR] [COLOR=1F497D]think that there is something beautiful with quality shoes shaping to the feet and creases telling the story (particularly on a plain toe), on the other hand I know that many consider creases to be unwanted and recommend the “pencil trick”. My problem with the pencil trick is that since the feet are slightly different I will set the creases where they don’t belong and who knows then what the shoes will look like in the long run?[/COLOR]
I’d like to hear what you all think about setting creases in general, an also about setting them in places where they normally wouldn’t form.[/COLOR]
I just wear them and let them do what they will. My first day with the Ironside Indies last week was out crunching around in the snow and ice for example. They were meant to be worn and will look more beautiful because of it.

HenryIII

Reaction score

I just wear them and let them do what they will. My first day with the Ironside Indies last week was out crunching around in the snow and ice for example. They were meant to be worn and will look more beautiful because of it.

I too have been giving some thought to this topic. I have noticed that my rolls occur differently on each foot for some models and it bugs me a little. It's not that I don't like the look of either, I just don't like that they are different. I may try the pencil trick with my next purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads