• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpina

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This week I purchased my first two pairs of Alden's... A pair of Epaulet Alt Wiens, and Jcrew LWBs.

Unfortuantely, neither fit me and are going back, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

I'm a 10 on a Brannock device. So I ordered a 9 and a 9 1/2. Both were HUGE on me.

Or were they? Where is the end of your toe supposed to fall in these shoes? in the 9 1/2, I had a thumb and a half between the end of my big toe and the inside of the shoe. On the 9's, slightly less. This is too big, correct? I ordered a replacement pair of Alt Wiens in 8 and will hope for the best... but two full sizes below my Brannock size? Does that sound crazy?

Please help. I am hoping this doesn't turn into weeks of various shoe sizes passing each other in the post....
I find the key to fitting length is to make sure the joint at the ball of your big toe lines up with the apex/flex point of the sole. If your toes are short relative to the length of your foot (long arch) you will have more room in a properly fitting shoe than someone with relatively long toes. By trying to fix what appears to be too long of a shoe, you may find the flex of your foot and the flex of the shoe don't agree, and that ain't no fun. How does the rest of the shoe feel?

schmallo15

Reaction score

Hi guys,

PSA for people who are interested in the tanker boot on color 8 shell. I just found out from Context that their color tanker 8 has an antique edging, a feature that most of us were waiting for in the Leffot version. This was confirmed by Context via email, however their website still shows the older version with a black edge. The only difference versus the Leffot version at this point is the reverse welt vs. flat welt on Leffot.

They have a list going with 7 spots left, as soon as they fill those the order will be submitted. Email them at [email protected] to get in on the preorder.

I don't work for Context but thought I'd let everyone know and get the order submitted sooner =). Full make up detail:

Last: Barrie
Design: Tanker
Material: color 8 shell
Welt: reverse
Edge: antique
Sole: commando
Hooks+eyelets
Pull tab

-D

Very cool! Thanks for the PSA, Zenny. This should be a very cool makeup.

Neognosis

Reaction score
The rest of the 9 feels... well, ok. I have them under my desk in their box at work, I'll take some photos tomorrow and draw on them where my toe ends, and perhaps you kind folks can give me some advice. I'll also show where the ball of my foot falls on the shoe as well.

I LOVE these shoes, I"m hooked. HOOKED. I am about to blow a thousand dollars on these two pairs.... I really want to get it right and not walk around for the next 10 years wondering if my shoes fit right.

HenryIII

Reaction score
Ravello LWBs today

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on guys! I don't use those cheap wire racks!!! Come on!

Ha, that's funny.

Mike, I was totally joking my friend.

Enjoy your wonderful collection as many of us enjoy it too.
fing02[1].gif

mavrick465

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a little advice on my next purchase which will be the unlined suede LHS, Van Last. I am torn between the Tan or the Snuff suede. I haven't been able to see either color in person and wondered if someone who owns both could chime in on which color overall is more versatile and a bit more casual as they will mostly be worn in the summer with Cotton/Linens etc. Also, because this is a loafer will it be likely that I will need to go down in width or size? The 12.5D Plaza and 12D Barrie boots fit me perfectly but I feel like there is more room for error on boots and a little extra room isn't as big of a problem. Should I be going down in width, or stick with the D? I do have somewhat of a low instep... Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get a little advice on my next purchase which will be the unlined suede LHS, Van Last. I am torn between the Tan or the Snuff suede. I haven't been able to see either color in person and wondered if someone who owns both could chime in on which color overall is more versatile and a bit more casual as they will mostly be worn in the summer with Cotton/Linens etc. Also, because this is a loafer will it be likely that I will need to go down in width or size? The 12.5D Plaza and 12D Barrie boots fit me perfectly but I feel like there is more room for error on boots and a little extra room isn't as big of a problem. Should I be going down in width, or stick with the D? I do have somewhat of a low instep... Thanks in advance for the advice!

I think if you will use this exclusively in the summer and spring, Tan suede is probably your best option. But if you want to be able to use it throughout the year the snuff suede is more versatile. As for sizing, the unlined LHS (which is the case for each of these suede makeups) tends to be a little more snug than the lined LHS. I wouldn't go with a narrow width. I am 10D - barrie and go 10C with the 986 (lined shell version) and 10D with the unlined LHS. But, if possible you need to try on to be sure.

All the best and good luck!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I think if you will use this exclusively in the summer and spring, Tan suede is probably your best option.  But if you want to be able to use it throughout the year the snuff suede is more versatile.  As for sizing, the unlined LHS (which is the case for each of these suede makeups) tends to be a little more snug than the lined LHS.  I wouldn't go with a narrow width.  I am 10D - barrie and go 10C with the 986 (lined shell version) and 10D with the unlined LHS.  But, if possible you need to try on to be sure.

All the best and good luck!

Interesting, I wear the exact same sizes on the LHS! 10C lined, 10D unlined. :)

-Mike

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I wear the exact same sizes on the LHS! 10C lined, 10D unlined. :)

-Mike
Great. Between you and @MrDV I've got no chance to pick up anything... even a great pair of vintage "Footjoy" burgundy shell shortwing bals that no one wants! Ugh...
wink.gif

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great.  Between you and @MrDV
I've got no chance to pick up anything... even a great pair of vintage "Footjoy" burgundy shell shortwing bals that no one wants!  Ugh...  ;)

You talking bout the ones on the Bay?

Those were indeed wonderful shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads