• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

Just ordered my first Alden's from Roden Gray.  405 Indy Boot, pretty excited to get these in.  I've got about 15 pair of AE's so I'm ready to make the transition to Alden.
Congrats. Hopefully you'll ween yourself off the AEs slowly - 15 pair is a substantial committment. I've always wanted the 405 but never quite pulled the trigger due to one reason (or other pair of shoes) or another. Hope they work out for you. Have you ever been to Roden Gray?

MT1982

Reaction score
It's the last is the same, the size is the same.

That's what I figured, however my two Barrie lasted boots fit differently (jcrew cxl perf cap toe and leather soul choco tanker). Both the same last, but different leathers. That's why I was curious about the suede vs. shell in Grant last.

CEE88

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking. Just keep it simple for the interview? I don't have any Alden shoes in black but I've got something that should work.
Good luck on the interview! Once you're in, then you can bring out the wing tips in more casual circumstances.

CEE88

Reaction score

That's what I figured, however my two Barrie lasted boots fit differently (jcrew cxl perf cap toe and leather soul choco tanker).  Both the same last, but different leathers.  That's why I was curious about the suede vs. shell in Grant last.
There's anecdotal evidence out there suggesting the shell models will feel a bit looser, perhaps because it doesn't stretch, so Alden is accounting for that lack of stretch by making shell models looser than non-shell boots/shoes.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

2210 NST
Don, those are looking good! :)
This might be a forever rehashed question but with all the recent NST posts, I am curious. For all the new Aberdeen last boots out there, I am curious what size you all bought in comparison to your Barrie last size? And what your impressions are of the fit.
I wear 11B on the Aberdeen and 10.5B on the Barrie. The Aberdeen is Alden's longest last and people typically go true to size.
My nose was in my phone again, so my wife asked, what I was reading. Again: the Alden thread. How can guys possibly have so much to say about shoes? she asked. So I had her read a page (50 posts) Her response: I had no idea--these Aldens are like celebrities!
Yeah, my wife just gets mad at me and doesn't care.
PSA- TSM has a Ravello NST boot posted online in 10.5D. So close...
Those are sold already. It was a mistake and was already allocated to someone. ;-)
Winter has been extra harsh this year, but my cigars have been holding up. They'll be getting the full treatment tonight.
Thams, thank you for sharing and giving these guys some loving. The Shell is a beautiful color.
Ugh. I need cigar and Ravello cap toes. Need. @ReppTiePrepster @MrDV Great Cigar Indys, gents! Am rocking mine today. @Akeem @mdubs How can we get ahold of Yenni? And is she still in charge of the JGilbert IG account? (it's possible she created it so she'd still have access). All, Has anyone tried Filson Boot Oil on CXL or even shell?
Akeem beat me.
@Akeem @mdubs How can we get ahold of Yenni? And is she still in charge of the JGilbert IG account? (it's possible she created it so she'd still have access). [email protected] all her info is on Alden of Carmel site.
Nailed it!
Still not sure why color 8 is called "King"?
It is called King due to its ultimate versatility. It is not my favorite color in terms of pure looks, but it is definitely the most versatile.
Stepping out tonight with King WT boots and denim
Superb!
Just arrived this morning from SF:
Jim did you very well.
I have an interview on Thursday. Which should I wear with a navy blue suit?
6feb8b8b1382c1ac46030145d30b01f7.jpg
82da17f30db5981fe1affedd43bed12d.jpg
Those are both beautiful, but I would not wear either for an interview. I would go with a black cap toe balmoral, but that's just how I roll. But as Cee says, I would go 975.
Agreed. But if those are your only options then I'd go option 1.
Agree 100%!
That's what I was thinking. Just keep it simple for the interview? I don't have any Alden shoes in black but I've got something that should work.
You will not hear me recommend going non-Alden, but if you don't have the appropriate Alden, go somewhere else in your wardrobe.

stevefok

Reaction score

Good luck with the interview!

I think AE's park avenue is a very good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads