• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 13D on Barrie.  I do 13E on Grant and Aberdeen.

Steve

Interesting. I wear a 12.5D Barrie and found that the 13E Aberdeen (same as Leydon) was best for me. I do not like a tight fit with my shoes & boots.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Their antique is a little different. Its the darker Mahogany. At least for the NST. Unless it was specified the lighter for the Indy. I'd assume its the same.
good to know.. will wait and see when they arrive in store how they look.

thams

Reaction score
All,

Has anyone tried Filson Boot Oil on CXL or even shell?
I know someone used boot oil on the Wolverine 721 LTD over on the boot's dedicated thread. I'm not sure if it was Filson boot oil specifically, but I remember it being some sort of boot oil. It turned the boots really really dark (which is to be expected). He claimed using boot oil is the ONLY way to care for any kind of leather long term. To be fair, he stomped through water, mud, and all kinds of other crap while wearing them. I'll try to find the exact post(s) to share.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know someone used boot oil on the Wolverine 721 LTD over on the boot's dedicated thread.  I'm not sure if it was Filson boot oil specifically, but I remember it being some sort of boot oil.  It turned the boots really really dark (which is to be expected).  He claimed using boot oil is the ONLY way to care for any kind of leather long term.  To be fair, he stomped through water, mud, and all kinds of other crap while wearing them.  I'll try to find the exact post(s) to share.

Thanks for the reply. I just read that exact post, hence my question.

From the leather care thread, I've learned there's so much misunderstanding about products that I would rather ask multiple people than hear one person say "This is the ONLY way!" to do XYZ.

thams

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just read that exact post, hence my question.

From the leather care thread, I've learned there's so much misunderstanding about products that I would rather ask multiple people than hear one person say "This is the ONLY way!" to do XYZ.

Ah, ok that makes sense. I found using Filson oil on shell to be, well, strange. I've never heard or read about anyone ever doing this - no matter how much the boots were trashed. I guess I wouldn't call it wrong, just strange. I would think applying multiple coats of Reno or other moisturizer would accomplish the task better. But I'm no expert.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

I think most people would expect a $700 shoe to have no plainly visible 'faults', especially those unfamiliar with Alden's quirks. While I agree it's no big deal I can also see the other side of the fence.

I would echo others here and say spend 2 minutes on them, it will be so much quicker and easier than exchanging.

I would be willing to state that 75% of the Aldens I own have, or have had, that construction mark on them.

Those with and without wear exactly the same way, and nobody ever notices them.

totalair1

Reaction score
Interesting. I wear a 12.5D Barrie and found that the 13E Aberdeen (same as Leydon) was best for me. I do not like a tight fit with my shoes & boots.

I have the same boot in #8 in 13D and it's snug. I've got multiple pair of 13E Aberdeen shoes and that fit really well. Hoping the 13E boot does too. I don't like my boots tight, but I don't like loose enough my foot slides around either. Still waiting on my pair...seems FedEx could not deliver Friday because we had a some snow and ice, but they are due today!

Steve

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I need cigar and Ravello cap toes. Need.

@ReppTiePrepster
@MrDV
You and me both. I have a black shell cap toe and a color 8 PCT. No cigar or ravello cap toe boots. I think I'd be pretty happy with Cigar on grant with commando for starters.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same boot in #8 in 13D and it's snug.  I've got multiple pair of 13E Aberdeen shoes and that fit really well.  Hoping the 13E boot does too.  I don't like my boots tight, but I don't like loose enough my foot slides around either.  Still waiting on my pair...seems FedEx could not deliver Friday because we had a some snow and ice, but they are due today!

Steve

They certainly are nice so I hope they fit you. I wear the #8 Barrie Tanker in 12.5D and this Ravello NST boot in 13E. Last time I tried anything in Aberdeen 13D it just felt far too snug - thinking I have a slightly wide foot.

benjaminroy

Reaction score
Anyone with Indy boots have something in particular that they use to keep the toe stitching clean? I have the 401 boot (the black one) and as it ages I'm finding that the stitching being dirty, on the black boot at least, is not the greatest look. I'm sure the greying is inevitable but I could probably do a bit more to help keep them on the white side.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone with Indy boots have something in particular that they use to keep the toe stitching clean? I have the 401 boot (the black one) and as it ages I'm finding that the stitching being dirty, on the black boot at least, is not the greatest look. I'm sure the greying is inevitable but I could probably do a bit more to help keep them on the white side.

Well, you don't have many options. I'd try either of these:

1. rub the stitching with a magic eraser and see if you can get some bleaching. Wipe dry, then condition the leather to make sure the eraser doesn't dry the skin totally;

or

2. use black creme polish on the stitching and go stealth. If you can keep the welt clean(ish) I bet that'd look excellent.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same boot in #8 in 13D and it's snug.  I've got multiple pair of 13E Aberdeen shoes and that fit really well.  Hoping the 13E boot does too.  I don't like my boots tight, but I don't like loose enough my foot slides around either.  Still waiting on my pair...seems FedEx could not deliver Friday because we had a some snow and ice, but they are due today!

Steve

They certainly are nice so I hope they fit you. I wear the #8 Barrie Tanker in 12.5D and this Ravello NST boot in 13E. Last time I tried anything in Aberdeen 13D it just felt far too snug - thinking I have a slightly wide foot.

Hey if you two yeti's ever have something to sell check in with me...I bounce between 12 and 13 sizes...

totalair1

Reaction score

hoit1981-I'm curious...have you ever tried on a 12.5E Aberdeen? I'm not saying that it would be better. Just curious. the 13E Aberdeen for me has plenty of room, as does the 13D Barrie. Everybody's foot is different. I've got 4 pairs of Aldens in 14D on Aberdeen and they fit me too, but on the loose side. When I started in the Alden game I knew I liked them better than AE and I wear 14D in AE all day long. The more I've bought the more I've learned. At the end of the day I don't think there's much difference in length between a 13D and 14D. I wear a lot of cowboy boots being a Texas boy and I've found the same thing in length. Somewhere between an 1/8" in length difference. Where I struggle a little on cowboy boots is getting my foot through the shaft, once it's in I'm good.

My Ravello 4030 NST dress boots got here 15 minutes ago and fit good. Look the same as all of those posted last week. I'll get some in the wild photos soon.

Now if I could get my Ravello WTB on commando, Whiskey WTB on commando, and Cigar LHS from AOM I'd be in tall cotton as they say in Texas! I've got 1 other cordovan mystery boot due this fall. I'm still hunting Whiskey and Ravello LHS in 13D or 13.5D if anybody stumbles across a pair.

MDubs...hows that #4 Unicorn hunt progressing? I know there's got to be a few #4 horses asses available somewhere. Make that magic happen Mike!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads