• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epc2

Reaction score
Guys,

Help me pick up one these shoes for chinos and slacks.

1-Leffot Color 8 unlined Dover
2-Harrison. Ltd. Cigar PTB on Plaza
3-Unionmade color 8 lined Dover on Commando

I'd like my shoes to be as versatile as possible so I might wear them with Denim or a sportcoat every now and then., also I already own a Ravello PTB.

Thanks.

Shoefish8

Reaction score
Hey guys, kudos on the great thread you have going for you. Tons of inspiration all around!

I have fallen in love with the Alden LHS pictured here: http://www.harrisonlimited.com/harr...sure-hand-sewn-penny-loafer-in-burnished-tan/

Sadly, this is really stretching my budget, so much so that it would most certainly be unwise of me to purchase them. My question is therefore if I've missed a retailer that carries them at a lower price, and if not if you can recommend a similar shoe that fits the bill. I would really appreciate the help, I feel like I've managed to sift through every single penny on the market, and I'm not getting any closer to actually acquiring a pair.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys,

Help me pick up one these shoes for chinos and slacks.

1-Leffot Color 8 unlined Dover
2-Harrison. Ltd. Cigar PTB on Plaza
3-Unionmade color 8 lined Dover on Commando

I'd like my shoes to be as versatile as possible so I might wear them with Denim or a sportcoat every now and then., also I already own a Ravello PTB.

Thanks.

I personally would not get any of those if I were you. Of all the makeups available, you picked three that are all very similar in appearance and purpose to what you already have. I'd go for something different, maybe lwb, wt or captoe.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Get something that's a totally different style. The 974 (SW bal?) comes to mind. Your second shoe should be as far in the other direction as possible (my advice), within reason. That way, over time, you will understand what color and style works for more of your current wardrobe. But having a totally diff style sometimes forces you to break out and put together totally different outfits.

epc2

Reaction score

I personally would not get any of those if I were you. Of all the makeups available, you picked three that are all very similar in appearance and purpose to what you already have. I'd go for something different, maybe lwb, wt or captoe.

I already have a few LWB's, that's the reason why I'm trying to decide on a 2nd PTB.

I agree. Get something that's a totally different style. The 974 (SW bal?) comes to mind. Your second shoe should be as far in the other direction as possible (my advice), within reason. That way, over time, you will understand what color and style works for more of your current wardrobe. But having a totally diff style sometimes forces you to break out and put together totally different outfits.

Uhmm I don't have any SWB.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@epic2 Honestly, if you're looking for a shortwing, I highly recommend the color 8 shortwing blucher on commando that AoC carries. Even with the commando soles it is quite versatile. It can certainly fill the casual shoe role and work well with dressier options. In wet wintery weather I wear them with suits. They pair quite nicely with denim and chinos. The 974 is really nice too but I prefer the Barrie over Tremont last. If you're looking for a wingtip that functions more on the dressier side, the 974 is your make up. Both are nice, but I would snag the shortwing blucher first given what you've said you're looking for. I agree with the gentlemen that have said your ravello PTBs are the best option of the ones you've listed. I will say though, that if you're looking for a light weight, summer option, the unlined brown chrmxl dover may be your choice.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

You prefer that over Lexol or VSC?

I can not comment on Lexol or VSC - I use Reno, and on CXL I prefer Dubbin (I also use Saphir Greasy Leather Cream at times)

But by far my most used product on CXL is dubbin.

Starts off with a dull matte finish, when brushed and then hit with a MF cloth buffs to a very nice shine.

Regards,
BN

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, kudos on the great thread you have going for you. Tons of inspiration all around!

I have fallen in love with the Alden LHS pictured here: http://www.harrisonlimited.com/harr...sure-hand-sewn-penny-loafer-in-burnished-tan/

Sadly, this is really stretching my budget, so much so that it would most certainly be unwise of me to purchase them. My question is therefore if I've missed a retailer that carries them at a lower price, and if not if you can recommend a similar shoe that fits the bill. I would really appreciate the help, I feel like I've managed to sift through every single penny on the market, and I'm not getting any closer to actually acquiring a pair.

Keep saving and get the Ravello LHS. Do it right.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I have fallen in love with the Alden LHS pictured here: http://www.harrisonlimited.com/harr...sure-hand-sewn-penny-loafer-in-burnished-tan/

Sadly, this is really stretching my budget, so much so that it would most certainly be unwise of me to purchase them. My question is therefore if I've missed a retailer that carries them at a lower price, and if not if you can recommend a similar shoe that fits the bill. I would really appreciate the help, I feel like I've managed to sift through every single penny on the market, and I'm not getting any closer to actually acquiring a pair.

Bakes is half right. I do think you should get that loafer. Settling never typically ends well. It always costs you more in the end.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bakes is half right. I do think you should get that loafer. Settling never typically ends well. It always costs you more in the end.

I used to want to find something that's relatively close to Alden or other higher end shoes, but at the end (I did pretty much what you did, searched online for days to try to find something very similar) I settled to pay the price and get the Alden. I think it as an investment and I take care of the shoes (not everyone like to buff their shoes, but you can always get your local cobbler to do it for you) and some of the shoes that are 3 years old and still looks like new. that being said, this Harrison LHS is a very nice loafer and definitely a keeper.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

matt92037

Reaction score
Speaking of conditioning products, I thought I ordered VSC but what showed up up was Venetian Leather Balm. The Leather Balm contains terpitine and petroleum distillates.

Bad idea to use on my shell and CXL or does VSC contain the same stuff?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads