• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtc2000

Reaction score
Just like John Lobb (Paris) uses the specific term "Buffalo" for their grained calfskin leather. Not real buffalo leather.

REguy

Reaction score
Good one, I forgot about their Bison boots, although I think it's just a pattern like mtc says.

Last edited:

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

Whiskey shell Indy boots today. I far prefer the old machine stitching on these guys, as opposed to the hand stitching currently used.

Bateman87

Reaction score
What's a good casual boot that I can wear with chinos or jeans? The Indy 403 or 405 seem to be the best choices (leaning towards 403), but the cordovan boots in #8 and cigar have me drooling. I would think that, without a bit of aging, cordovan would be too much for khakis, however.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either of those Indy's works, but how about the Snuff Suede Chukka?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's a good casual boot that I can wear with chinos or jeans? The Indy 403 or 405 seem to be the best choices (leaning towards 403), but the cordovan boots in #8 and cigar have me drooling. I would think that, without a bit of aging, cordovan would be too much for khakis, however.
Cordovan is fine with khakis. Cigar boots probably go with a wider variety of casual looks as opposed to color 8, but both would work. Indy boots are also great casual wear. You can't go wrong with these options

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this description must have been a mistake in transposing from the chromexcel info. Alden definitely uses other animal hides in the occasional makeup (see this recent Bison, for example) and I'm pretty sure kudu is just what it sounds like... I've got the LS Kudu UI and it is not of the same character as my other chromexcel calf pairs.
Perhaps Jason or Tom could chime in here with an authoritative answer...

The "kudu" that Alden uses is indeed full grained cowhide, hand curried in a process similar to shell cordovan.

Bateman87

Reaction score
Cordovan is fine with khakis.
Cigar boots probably go with a wider variety of casual looks as opposed to color 8, but both would work. Indy boots are also great casual wear. You can't go wrong with these options

Thanks, I was thinking that, too - that Cigar would go better. Maybe I'll get a 403 and a Cigar Chukka.. if I can find one in my size.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score

I think this description must have been a mistake in transposing from the chromexcel info. Alden definitely uses other animal hides in the occasional makeup (see this recent Bison, for example) and I'm pretty sure kudu is just what it sounds like... I've got the LS Kudu UI and it is not of the same character as my other chromexcel calf pairs.
Perhaps Jason or Tom could chime in here with an authoritative answer...

I was told by Alden that the "bison" leather is a cowhide

shaunw

Reaction score

I have the jcrew Indy which is basically the 403 and also have the cigar shell Indy. I would say that either could be worn with just about any casual pant....jeans, chinos, etc. If I could go back in time any only buy one of the two it would definitely be the cigar Indy....just my .02:)

fitchottie

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can help me out.... Have a pair of Cordovan with weird wrinkles..... is there any way to get rid of them......i am talking about the small wrinkles or striations..

IMG_0399-1.jpg

Bateman87

Reaction score
I have the jcrew Indy which is basically the 403 and also have the cigar shell Indy. I would say that either could be worn with just about any casual pant....jeans, chinos, etc. If I could go back in time any only buy one of the two it would definitely be the cigar Indy....just my .02:)

Hmm, good to know. I would be very interested in Cigar Indys, but I expect they're sold out everywhere right now, no? I do see that they're on the Madison Ave website, though; maybe I'll drop in tomorrow, just in case.

If you had to choose between Cigar Chukkas and Cigar Indys, what would it be? I'd been thinking 403 + Cigar Chukka for the purposes of variety, but Cigar Indys may be just a little too awesome to pass up, given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads