• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noob question:
I normally wear size 10E or 10.5D for most dress shoes. If I am to get a Barrie-lasted LWB, what size should I order?
Thanks.

You are my size - 10D or 9.5E. in Barrie, 10.5D or 10E in narrower lasts

Also, who is that in your avatar

Last edited:

Simplicio

Reaction score
Its interesting to see that Kudu is getting a little love here. Many of the comments I've seen about it in the past have been negative. The kudu chukkas were one of my first Alden purchases. I liked them at first, although after I acquired some other models I found that I didn't want to wear them as often. Then after a while I just let them sit in the back of my closet.

But when packing for a recent trip to Morocco I realized that they might be the ideal "one shoe" for two weeks of travel through different terrains and situations. Here I am riding a camel with them:

I don't think that the leather is great looking (although these have been complimented), but it is tough and you can abuse it if you need to. With the recent snow here in England I've made them my snow/slush boots.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I was thinking that, too - that Cigar would go better.  Maybe I'll get a 403 and a Cigar Chukka.. if I can find one in my size.

What's a good casual boot that I can wear with chinos or jeans?  The Indy 403 or 405 seem to be the best choices (leaning towards 403), but the cordovan boots in #8 and cigar have me drooling.  I would think that, without a bit of aging, cordovan would be too much for khakis, however.

Shell is great with jeans and khakis. Cigar or #8 go with pretty much anything- they're probably the most versatile colors. If I had to choose only one, I'd go with #8, because it can be worn with jeans, or almost any color trousers.

advan031

Reaction score
Reserved a pair of Cigar Cap toe boots from Alden of DC :) it'll be my last one for awhile.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hoping you guys can help me out.... Have a pair of Cordovan with weird wrinkles..... is there any way to get rid of them......i am talking about the small wrinkles or striations..
IMG_0399-1.jpg

Oh no...no...that's not good at all. That's what Horween calls "lateral canthal wrinkles". That's the breaking down of elastin in the shell cordovan. Those shoes are now garbage. Ship them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

:devil:

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reserved a pair of Cigar Cap toe boots from Alden of DC :) it'll be my last one for awhile.

Man, if i had a pair of shells for everytime I've read that in this forum I'd rival Uncle Mac.

Whatever helps you deal with the addicition and the fact that we spend $700 on brown boots lol.:slayer:

Last edited:

kippy

Reaction score

Noob question:
I normally wear size 10E or 10.5D for most dress shoes. If I am to get a Barrie-lasted LWB, what size should I order?
Thanks.

The conventional advice on the forum is to size down 1/2 from your normal size since Barrie is a very generously-proportioned last. Having said that, I myself discovered I needed to size down an entire full size (from 10E to 9E) to get the perfect fit.

Good luck! Incidentally, I have a bunch of 9.5e shoes for sale on B&S.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alas, I am unfamiliar with the the "spoon trick"...can you enlighten me??

the spoon trick is where you slowly drag the backside of a spoon across scratches or textural irregularities (i get them in some of my creases) in your shell to make the scratch go away or at least be less noticeable. I actually use the flat of my fingernail instead of a spoon, but a spoon is probably a better call because you can scratch them with the edge of your nail if you aren't careful doing it my way. With the fingernail and, logically, with the spoon as well, you have to press down pretty hard. This is what we who don't want to spend $36+shipping on a deer bone do.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man, if i had a pair of shells for everytime I've read that in this forum I'd rival Uncle Mac.
Whatever helps you deal with the addicition and the fact that we spend $700 on brown boots lol.:slayer:

Well, I assume he means that he'll now move on to buying AE and Carmina shell before returning to Alden. :)

trunks206

Reaction score

good day for cigar. must say these are really great fitting
6812741899_638889be73_z.jpg

6812740971_553978532a_z.jpg

Those pictures are making me miss them now. I'm glad you took the jump and they worked out, wear the in good heath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads