• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbiealden

Reaction score
Thanks - tried both spellings this morning and not much luck. I'm curious because i saw these on the Shoemart seconds email; but was too slow and somebody got to them before me. Possibly a makeup for overseas / japan maybe?

Thor

Reaction score

What are people's thoughts on speed hooks? I'm thinking of getting boots without them ( I so far only own LWBs and PTBs) since I think they look clunky, but I was wonder how you guys felt about them/ if it's going to be too much of a pain to lace them every time. Also, is it possible to get speed hooks removed if I try and don't like them?

I also try to avoid them...not so much for the aesthetics (nobody really sees them when you actually wear them) as for the function...they are less durable than eyelets and I have had the very annoying occurrence of the cuff of my pants getting snagged on the hook and ripping...

I had a speed hook tear away from the boot- sent it back to Alden and they replaced them with eyelets...much happier...

It does take a few seconds more to lace but its worth it..IMO...

i10casual

Reaction score
The speed hooks look great with the work boot style. Maybe not so much on the cap toed boots.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like speed hooks and my three boots have them. However, I don't wear dress pants for work (only khakis and jeans) and it's not a must have feature. They just happen to be on the styles I like.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PM me your email....I think i have 7.5, 8 and 8.5 D. JT

Thanks for the list. The Shoemart thanks you too for the order I just placed.

What are people's thoughts on speed hooks? I'm thinking of getting boots without them ( I so far only own LWBs and PTBs) since I think they look clunky, but I was wonder how you guys felt about them/ if it's going to be too much of a pain to lace them every time. Also, is it possible to get speed hooks removed if I try and don't like them?

I have some boots with the speed hooks and some without. I agree with others that they don't look as good on a dressier boot, but they are not a deal breaker for me since they will generally be covered up by my pant legs anyway. Regarding functionality, I do like speed hooks, especially when taking my boots off.

izach

Reaction score
I'm 81/2 D and all my Alden (many) are 81/2 D except to the Van last, which are typically 1/2 smaller i.e., 8 D. I own an Indy boots (403) True balance last, also 81/2D. I have to admit that the Barrie and the True balance will give you a bit freedom on the width side, but it's comfortable.

trunks206

Reaction score
I decided that I cant keep babying these by waiting for only nice dry days to wear them.

892f902a.jpg

Cigar shell + commando soles = the perfect rain boot.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patito

Reaction score
I decided that I cant keep babying these by waiting for only nice dry days to wear them.
892f902a.jpg

Cigar shell + commando soles = the perfect rain boot.

My experience with #8 shell is rain doesn't do a thing. Any spots are gone in 24 hours. I expect it's similar with cigar. Whiskey... well, I have a few persistant spots, which I understand might upset a few owners, but I think it's just more character in the end. Here's one perspective on rain and alden shoes: http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/rain/

IMHO you buy boots to punish them. Enjoy yours, sir.

EDIT: they're beautiful (how could I forget the most important part of the response?!?)

Last edited:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On speed hooks vs. eyelets; I have boots with both. Aesthetically, I prefer eyelets and I like the idea of eyelets over speed hooks. However, a pair that I really like are my wingtip boots in #8. I don't wear them that often because I have to unlace the top to two eyelets on each side and really loosen the boot up to get my foot in. I haven't timed it but it "feels" like a couple of minutes to put them on. I am an admitted inpatient person and this just annoys the hell out of me.
On the other hand, I have caught the hem on a nice pair of trousers on a speed hook and that annoyed me also :)

keithp3521

Reaction score

Man I'm bummed out this morning. I called Shoemart yesterday and ordered the Whiskey Indy boots. Joe (one of the owners) went and pulled the boots and had them in his office while I was on the phone. Ten minutes after I hang up the phone I get an email saying the boots were no longer availible. Of course the store was closed when I tried to call them back. This morning I called and I was told someone else placed the order just minutes before me. I hope someone enjoys those boots and that they don't end up being on eBay or in the B&S.

What's B&S?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to the madison ave store today. whiskey indy is in stock in my size, but I was able to resist

I tried on a #8 captoe boot on the grant last in the my barrie size and it's definitely too narrow. sized up a half and it was better, though possibly too loose in the heel. anyone take a wider size in the grant than the barrie?

one of the guys there said they sold 10 pairs of whiskey indys in the past few days because "someone posted it on a blog or something" :)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am surprised to hear that, grant fits me TTS,if anything it was little tight at the beginning. Plaza on the other hand fits perfect from the get go.

interesting because i am tts 12D and I fit a 11.75 in Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics