• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A stranger sitting next to me this morning at starbucks covertly snagged a pic of my alden boots. I dont see any post here so here they are in their parking lot glory

width

nephew,
your wt boots are worthy of a picture. enjoy wearing

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's been a while since I've purchased new Aldens. My pre-order Leffot Greenwich boot in reverse chamois finally arrived today. Not sure if I ever knew they were all eyelets so need to start getting use to no speedhooks!

nephew,
wear only in good health

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TSA is such a joke. They're worried about travelers taking their shoes off, while in a GSA test over the Summer they had an 80% fail rate when they sent test through the screening points with explosives. 80% fail rate. Think about that next time they want you to take your shoes off, the guy behind you may have C4 in his bag... but they won't find it! Of course, they probably missed the explosives because they were too busy rummaging through your luggage looking for electronics they could swipe.
cloud.gif

Sorry for the rant, just the uselessness of the TSA makes me mad. Good tax money down the drain.

Couldn't agree more. That said, I don't look to antagonize, or be perceived as antagonizing, these guys. They've got enough trouble doing their jobs without being distracted by guys with nice shoes predicting what will set off the metal detectors.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Color 8 Leathersoul wingtip
Bresciani OTC

The airport is interesting. I have to remove my Aldens every time through TSA pre. First world problems
1f609.png

nephew,
looking well in your wt

Alpina

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. That said, I don't look to antagonize, or be perceived as antagonizing, these guys. They've got enough trouble doing their jobs without being distracted by guys with nice shoes predicting what will set off the metal detectors.
Right. Let's keep in mind the guy with the shoes didn't start the issue. He's taking his shoes off because he knows he will have to. This makes everyone's day smoother. He's not trying to be elitist, or say anything about the quality of his shoes. The TSA "agent" is blowing up because he's spotted what he thinks is another out of touch traveler that must be put in line. Let's assume it's the not the first day on the job for the aforementioned "agent". Can we then also assume he hasn't seen at least one other Pre-check person's shoes trip the metal detector before? Why is he then basically antagonizing himself? Because he sucks at his job.

MT1982

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip! I'll do some investigating!

I have a couple random questions:
  1. On the Leffot cap toe boots I originally posted, the cap has the row of circular cutouts, what is this called? Another shoe styling term I'm not sure of is the zig-zag cut edges such as on Alden's LWBs, what is that called?
  2. My 403 indy boots are in need of a resoling (the black heal has worn through to show the nail heads), however there are several places where the sole is detaching from the leather uppers, is this also fixed in the resoling process? These boots have been worn extremely hard for 4-5 years. What's the correct way to go about getting these resoled/repaired from Alden?
  3. My 403s have been extremely versatile, through regular use and cleaning they have become almost like a color #8 chromexcel. The color and shine of them made it very easy for me to dress them up (with some nice chinos and a button down) or wear them casually. In the absence of natty chromexcel cap toe boots I'm thinking about picking up the natural chromexcel indy boots. Will these be as versatile?

1. Another person answered already
2. Should be, but we'd probably need pics. You can usually just get a new heel cap put on if that's the only part worn down, but it sounds like you need a full resole. If you want it done by Alden then you can go here - http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawOnePage.aspx?PageID=12 and request information. Some folks on the forum can probably provide other reputable cobblers that can do it as well if you wanted to go that route.
3. Yeah, I think natty CXL Indy's would work with chino's and a button down (to me that's a casual look, so the casual boots work fine). Another option would be a plain toe like this one - https://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=176&ParentID=4&PageID=&Action=

smmrfld

Reaction score
No need at all to take off your Aldens if you have TSA Pre. Just keep them on, point at the other scanner (not the metal detector) and go through when told. I fly weekly and haven't taken off my Aldens in at least a year...maybe two.

aldennoob

Reaction score
They require me to take off the Leffot naval boot yesterday @JFK....also at the statue of liberty

Last edited:

SouthNarc

Reaction score

Right.  Let's keep in mind the guy with the shoes didn't start the issue.  He's taking his shoes off because he knows he will have to.  This makes everyone's day smoother.  He's not trying to be elitist, or say anything about the quality of his shoes.  The TSA "agent" is blowing up because he's spotted what he thinks is another out of touch traveler that must be put in line.  Let's assume it's the not the first day on the job for the aforementioned "agent".  Can we then also assume he hasn't seen at least one other Pre-check person's shoes trip the metal detector before?  Why is he then basically antagonizing himself?  Because he sucks at his job.  

This. I'm not going to antagonize anybody. I'm also not going to put up with being bullied by anyone and that includes TSA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads