• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

Seems like pre-orders are the only way for the most part. I have B and C width Barrie shoes, but all took months or years of waiting.
so many C, B, A and AAA widths available on the vintage footwear market - are the feet of successive generations getting wider?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Indy boots in color 8 with the double waterlock leather sole from a few days ago. Still kicking around whether the fit is right..... they may be a bit small at 11 B/D:

Ben

Ben, great #8 Indy Boots! I know many here would disagree with me, but I prefer the Cordovan Indy on the Plaza Last, but I readily admit that I just adore the Plaza Last.

Whiskey, anyday. (Not just Wednesdays)

Great looking Whiskeys BK. The creasing in this model is very difficult to remove... :-( But, you wear them well.

King Naval Boots.

Saz, my main man! Glad to see more Aldens on you! You are killing me, I have a pair of these bad boys in prod and then you have to go off and post an insane picture like this! Looking good and keep them Alden pics flowing!

Thanks, guys. They are equally striking in person. In fact, I never thought I'd like an NST. That split toe stitching always seemed a bit "too much" for me. BUT, I happened to walk in to Unionmade's new LA store several weeks ago and these puppies just jumped off the shelf. I never knew natural CXL could look so good. Absolutely love the contrast with the dark laces. Asked for my size and, low and behold, it was one of the two pairs remaining from their "grand opening special make-ups." In other words, pure, unadulterated dumb-luck on my part. I have to guess all of this makes it very unlikely that one could easily find another pair of this make-up (at the moment, anyway), but who knows.
Thank you.

I am on Alden Madison Ravello LWBs as well.

You can never have too many Ravello LWBs.

Bonggoy, I agree completely and utterly with you. To me, the Ravello LWB is the best Alden made.

Don, your pictures always stand out! Your Brooks Bros Sand Suede LHSes are looking awesome. Hope that you are enjoying your summer!

Mine came in, too. They look, smell and taste absolutely perfect!

Congrats on your #8 on Antique Tankers. Those are looking sweet!

Couldn't wait for Wednesday...

Whiskey shortwing Bals with BB argyles and J Crew Oxford cloth sky blue pants

Tom's (from Alden SF) patina on his pair were inspiring; as I always say, wear and enjoy often in great health my friends!

RTP, RTP, RTP, those are some killer Whiskey Balmorals. This is coincidentally one of my favorite pairs of Aldens, although I am aware that it is an odd pairing of color and design formality, but I think it is awesome.

Trying on my #8 Wingtip commando boots for the first time. They feel great right out of the box. I love them. My first pair of Alden shell cordovan:

Buddy, you have done very well on your first pair of Shell Aldie's! Take good care of them and enjoy them for many years to come.

Ok here are some pics of the new Tankers guys, excited to have these in my collection. Congrats to everyone who snagged a pair!

Buzran, you did a magnificent job with your pictures! Lighting is the key to capturing the true tones of the shoe and you nailed it. Keep up the good work, you are making me sort of regret passing on these guys. But I keep reminding myself of the fact that I don't like the NST design as much... I don't like the NST design as much... Yeah, it doesn't work.

Looks like Christmas in August around here - fresh Tankers & Longwings abound!

I too received a package today - Alden DC Ravello LWBs. Brown definitely dominates in this batch of Ravello, red tones in repose. iPhone pics below, indoors to shade to sun, comparing the new Ravello with my 4 year old Cigars:

(Can you tell which is which in this shot?)

CEE, it is nice to finally see some decent outdoor and comparison shots of the new Ravellos. I suspect that they will lighten a bit rather quickly with some wear and absorption of the energy from our awesome sun! I think that they can fit into your closet in addition to your older and beautiful Cigar LWBs, but I think most here know that there is a soft spot in my heart for Ravello and particularly Ravello LWBs.

Have a great one all! I hope to get some time to pull pics off my camera soon-ish!

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Really put together on this one, RTP. May be my favorite Whiskeys. Really shows off the details of the short wing nicely. Congratulations, Sir, wear in the best of health!

I agree that this is an awesome design, but my personal favorite Whiskey make-up is the Whiskey Indy. This is nipping on its heals though!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so many C, B, A and AAA widths available on the vintage footwear market - are the feet of successive generations getting wider?

Interesting thought. I do find it strange that most stores offer wide and even sometimes extra-wide fittings in a lot of different styles, but narrow and extra-narrow shoes are much much harder to come by. Are there more wide-footed people out there, or are there just more of them buying higher quality footwear?

CEE88

Reaction score

Where are all these C and B shoes??? :)
Well ... Off the top of my head: I picked up a 11.5B deadstock Florsheim Imperial Kenmor LWB in a brown shell, an 11.5C Barrie Ltd LWB in a reddish-brown (or faded color 8?) shell, an 11C 1960s Cole Han (Made in England) burgundy & black (calf) saddle shoe, and a 1950s "cigar" shell LWB (Hanover I think) which may be the best fitting long wing in my closet. That one is marked 10B, which is ridiculous - the sole measures 13 inches and fits as wide as a Barrie C or D width. I've actually been thinking about sending that one to B Nelson for a re-sole - the shell is in very good shape. Have yet to find a decent vintage Alden in my size.

FYI I'm an 11C on the Brannock and all these fit me fine.

Last edited:

green garden

Reaction score

Interesting thought. I do find it strange that most stores offer wide and even sometimes extra-wide fittings in a lot of different styles, but narrow and extra-narrow shoes are much much harder to come by. Are there more wide-footed people out there, or are there just more of them buying higher quality footwear?

I try to look for the silver lining.... Having to wait for pre-orders actually helped me space out the cash flow requirements :nodding:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Beautiful tassels Uncle! Are these Aldens most famous make-up?

nephew,
thank you
one of there best models, introduced in 1947 by alden, and standard stock with no wait time

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Much thanks DV; that's quite meaningful coming from you!

Nice looking WT's, Tankers, and suede guys.
Much thanks friend!

You and me both...
Looking good, my friend.
Much thanks BK!

Really put together on this one, RTP. May be my favorite Whiskeys. Really shows off the details of the short wing nicely. Congratulations, Sir, wear in the best of health!
Much thanks CEE88!

RTP, RTP, RTP, those are some killer Whiskey Balmorals. This is coincidentally one of my favorite pairs of Aldens, although I am aware that it is an odd pairing of color and design formality, but I think it is awesome.
Quote:
I agree that this is an awesome design, but my personal favorite Whiskey make-up is the Whiskey Indy. This is nipping on its heals though!
I think I agree with mdubs on this one if the whiskey work boot is on the plaza last. [Kind of hard to imagine a "work boot" on plaza] Nevertheless, very happy to have either!

THANKS GENTS!

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to imagine few, if any, of those who purchase whiskey shell boots doing manual labor in them. There are some dudes who are afraid to subject certain shell shoes to rain. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members