• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. D

Reaction score

vintage shell monks. arrived yesterday.
can't say for certain if they're whiskey or ravello. (mto style # inside)
what do you think?

I vote whiskey - my whiskey LWB are about 10 years old and they have darkened a lot and now look like ravello.

Plus I know that a few years ago Alden made a run of whiskey monks but I I've never heard of them making any ravello monks.

Regardless, nice find!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I also really don't the stitching on the toe. I have to admit they have grown on me a little, but only from hate to dislike.

Do not worry bag, it will slowly grow to like to love... I actually didn't like the Moc Toe pattern at first. But they grow on you. Not sure if it adds structural rigidity to the shoe, but I imagine that it would... I particularly like the design though when on the Plaza Last, but that is my personal preference.

Do you like the Leisure Hand Sewn (Classic Penny Loafer) design? Because when you take a step back, the LHS and the Indy boot are not that far apart design wise (well at least at the toe level... Although the Van last is designed to put the stitching on the edge of the shoe by boxing off the sidewall and vamp of the shoe.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I vote whiskey - my whiskey LWB are about 10 years old and they have darkened a lot and now look like ravello.

Plus I know that a few years ago Alden made a run of whiskey monks but I I've never heard of them making any ravello monks.

Regardless, nice find!

Dr. D, yeah I agree with you, the only Ravello Monks that I can find are the NST Monks that LeatherSoul did in 2010. I believe that Mac has them.

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/05/28/alden-shoes-two-new-nsts-for-lsbh/

-Mike

RobinM

Reaction score
There was a Ravello Monk, but with split toe..

ir037m.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not worry bag, it will slowly grow to like to love... I actually didn't like the Moc Toe pattern at first. But they grow on you. Not sure if it adds structural rigidity to the shoe, but I imagine that it would... I particularly like the design though when on the Plaza Last, but that is my personal preference.

Do you like the Leisure Hand Sewn (Classic Penny Loafer) design? Because when you take a step back, the LHS and the Indy boot are not that far apart design wise (well at least at the toe level... Although the Van last is designed to put the stitching on the edge of the shoe by boxing off the sidewall and vamp of the shoe.

-Mike

I really like the LHS. we'll see. I am already on preorder for the cxl wingtip boot from Alden SF, hopefully they will arrive in June as they told me. Maybe later in time, I'll pick up the 405/403...who knows...

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many of you wear same size in Barrie and Van lasts, but does anyone here size up from Barrie for Van? My LHS (stock, lined) are starting to bug at the instep and wondering if sizing up would help. I realize sizing up in loafers introduces a host of other issues, such as heel slippage, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts.

Thanks

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all, I did not see this discussed in the last thousand or so pages of this thread, so here goes: which Alden chukka (dark brown suede or shell #8) is most versatile in terms of being able to wear with jeans, chinos, and even suits? I imagine colors lighter than those two (e.g., snuff suede) would be limited to wearing with jeans. Can any chukka owners chime in? 

Based on experience, my inclination is to go with dark brown suede, but I wonder how sleek and formal the #8 shell appears, especially when compared to the dressier calf/suede chukkas out there (e.g., C&J Tetbury, C&J for Ralph Lauren MacCallum, Loake Kempton to name a few). 

Thanks!

I don't wear chukkas of any kind with suits. Some on this thread do wear color 8 shell chukkas with suits. To each their own.

With all of that said, I would easily recommend the color 8 chukka over the dark brown suede chukka. :D

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize they had been sold 2 times within the last few weeks. Yes, this is the same pair. I'm glad I saw them the second time around.

Not a monk guy at all but these are great. Love how understated they are.
I would say Ravello. I always find the red tone Ravello and the honey tone Whiskey

Thanks rydenfan. I am also leaning towards ravello. They're more red than honey irl.

Most likely Whiskey. Somewhat depends on how vintage the shoes are. Technically, Alden did not use the name "Ravello" until relatively recently (i.e. six or seven years ago, I believe). There were Mahogany shell in the olden days though.

I've only followed alden for a few years. I didn't know ravello was a newer term. These are from "mto days" they probably didn't call it ravello then, but it looks like one of the many shades I accept as ravello today.

Regardless, nice find!

Thanks dr.d. The old run of whiskey monks is # 1684. These have a different #. Mine could be darkened whiskey or something else. I just wanted to know.

Dr. D, yeah I agree with you, the only Ravello Monks that I can find are the NST Monks that LeatherSoul did in 2010. I believe that Mac has them.
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/05/28/alden-shoes-two-new-nsts-for-lsbh/
-Mike

Mike, I looked last night as well. I only found ls' ravello nst monks, uncle Mac has a pair.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know many of you wear same size in Barrie and Van lasts, but does anyone here size up from Barrie for Van?  My LHS (stock, lined) are starting to bug at the instep and wondering if sizing up would help.  I realize sizing up in loafers introduces a host of other issues, such as heel slippage, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts.

Thanks

I wear the same Barrie and van size. The length and heel are good, but the instep is (was) too tight. I use bootbarn boot trees in them, they stretched the instep and now feel comfortable. Van tts feels way too long and lose, the bb version fits much better tts.

a bag of it

Reaction score

-Mike

I don't like the LHS but that is because I don't like penny loafers. The stitching is not nearly as offensive to me as on the indys though because it looks natural and follows the curve of the toe. With the indys, the stitching is almost square while the toe is very round which creates visual dissonance for me. The NST has similar stitching which I think looks great because it also follows the shape of the toe.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like the LHS but that is because I don't like penny loafers. The stitching is not nearly as offensive to me as on the indys though because it looks natural and follows the curve of the toe. With the indys, the stitching is almost square while the toe is very round which creates visual dissonance for me. The NST has similar stitching which I think looks great because it also follows the shape of the toe.

Thank you! You just explained to me why I don't like the stitching on the indys and I do, also, like NST a lot.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vintage shell monks. arrived yesterday. can't say for certain if they're whiskey or ravello. (mto style # inside) what do you think?
Awesome DV. Those take your collection to another level. I'd have more monks in my collection but there are very few floating around from Alden in shell... I've been on a whiskey monk wait list since early 2012 ...i wont hold my breath

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear chukkas of any kind with suits. Some on this thread do wear color 8 shell chukkas with suits. To each their own.

With all of that said, I would easily recommend the color 8 chukka over the dark brown suede chukka.
biggrin.gif
I have to agree. To me, suede makes a chukka inherently casual, and therefore not very versatile in the way in which you are referring. To wear a design that leans heavily toward the casual side of the spectrum (i.e. chukka) with a casual leather makes it very difficult to pull off with a suit, unless your suit is of the casual nature also (i.e. linen, cotton, seersucker, etc...).

I think the color 8 chukka can be worn with the right suit, but if you are looking for versatility between denim and suits, why not go with the PTB (990). If you are a chukka man, snag both chukkas!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads