• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What does "Bootmaker Edition" mean?
My understand was that it means they were from a retailer like the Shoemart that doesn't really do custom makeups.
Here's something I don't understand--why Alden spends their factory resources on models such as this. Perhaps they don't and and the market has yet to deplete the last run of these from 1988. When I hear that a chromexcel boot has been pre-ordered for over a year (where material supply isn't the holdup) I wonder how they prioritize production at the factory. It's a friggin' mystery, and creates this game we all love to play.
I am not sure if that one that you've pictured is part of the "Cape Cod Collection" but I believe that a lot of those in that collection are actually produced by other makers for Alden (such as Eastland or maybe Rancourt in the past). So in the long run it really isn't Alden factory resources being used up.
Different markets. I would bet you would be surprised how well this sells. I know personally my grandfather used to have 3 or 4 pairs
And, more importantly, this. I think a lot of the people in this thread likely over estimate the percentage of Alden business that comes from $700 shell cordovan shoes.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my choco suede NST tankers from Leather Soul. These have been in a box in my closet for a couple months waiting for warmer weather. The weather isn't really much warmer today, but I couldn't wait any longer. :slayer:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet! Cannot wait to bust mine out soon either. They don't look quite as dark in the natural light.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a pair of shoes trees and put two pair of thicker winter socks over them. Then place that inside the shoe. See if that provides enough stretch. If not then go the cobbler route

This will work even better even you spray if you spray some spray inside first. There are many brands available but I use Meltonian. For shell, I add a shoe stretcher to the mix. I've found that most shoes require time and multiple treatments to truly stretch and you don't get this from a cobbler. This is one of those processes that is probably better done at home for shoes costing as much as Alden's.

ErikW

Reaction score
Very nice! Love that make up.

Maiden voyage of my choco suede NST tankers from Leather Soul. These have been in a box in my closet for a couple months waiting for warmer weather. The weather isn't really much warmer today, but I couldn't wait any longer.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love those LS Choco Tankers MP

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got on a preorder for the Chocolate Tankers, really excited for an arrival hopefully in 3Q14

Been wearing a lot of suede lately - dark brown longwings got wear last weekend, snuff suede today. Let's hope Leffot gets in the tan longwings soon.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I need to make the jump to suede.

anrobit

Reaction score
My understand was that it means they were from a retailer like the Shoemart that doesn't really do custom makeups.
I am not sure if that one that you've pictured is part of the "Cape Cod Collection" but I believe that a lot of those in that collection are actually produced by other makers for Alden (such as Eastland or maybe Rancourt in the past). So in the long run it really isn't Alden factory resources being used up.
If they are part of the Cape Cod Collection, they are made by Highland Shoe Company in Maine

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage of my choco suede NST tankers from Leather Soul. These have been in a box in my closet for a couple months waiting for warmer weather. The weather isn't really much warmer today, but I couldn't wait any longer. :slayer:

Sweet looking suede mp. I would like a pair myself. Well done.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen many pix of the standard 405 Indy boots here. I sold my J Crew CXL Indys b/c they stretched a bit too much and I wasn't loving the fit.
Looking to maybe get the 405 w/Commando sole that J Gilbert is planning. I know Leffot did the same make-up a few years back.

Anyone with pix of some nicely worn 405s or 405s with commando?

Thanks in advance
Joe
Sazon, I posted last December about my 405s. I have what I consider to be a robust shell boot collection including Cigar Indys and #8 Brixton with antique edge. But my 405s are probably my best all around boot (I dress casually) for durability, utility, weather resistance, and quite frankly me not having to give a crap about if it's going to rain or if I'm going to get a scuff or scratch. They don't stretch or bulge like people have recently been stating about CXL. They also don't develop those tight creases that CXL shoes/boots do in comparison to gentle rolls of shell. They're no fuss. My only major complaint was the time for them to break in and look cool because if we're all honest they look pretty lame in all the Alden stock photos and don't look like much when you first see them. But after a while they were nicely broken in, conformed to my feet very well, and I think after aging for 9+ years looks WAY better than CXL Indys that are only a year or two old. I guess what I'm trying to say is...too many people overlook the 405 for 403s. I believe the 405 to be the better boot in the long run.

Here's my old post below -- please keep in mind that the color balance of the pictures is way off. Also, they are on neocork not commando. I would buy a second pair on commando if I could.

My old war horses. Purchased from Alden SF 9 years ago. They've travelled to 8 countries, logged countless miles, and outlasted every boot I owned previously. Sure, they have their scuffs and flaws. A wobbly speed hook; worn cotton duck interiors. But they are beautiful and still fit like a dream.

Some say shell cordovan gets all the love, but I don't go a week without wearing my trusty 405s.

lint

Reaction score
Haven't seen many pix of the standard 405 Indy boots here. I sold my J Crew CXL Indys b/c they stretched a bit too much and I wasn't loving the fit.
Looking to maybe get the 405 w/Commando sole that J Gilbert is planning. I know Leffot did the same make-up a few years back.

Anyone with pix of some nicely worn 405s or 405s with commando?

Thanks in advance
Joe
Here are mine. I just gave them a quick wipe down and brush. These are the older version with the cloth liner, had them for about 10 months, get worn 2-3 times a week.

Briar Snob

Reaction score

We tried something new with black calf and we would love to hear back from you gentlemen. All feedback is appreciated!
Beautiful. Would be great if you'd start ordering in 12.5D's or follow Leffot's lead and let us know when you are putting an order in so we can get in on the make-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members