• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whats going on with the captoes? the shoe on the far left looks alittle larger than its partner

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whats going on with the captoes? the shoe on the far left looks a little larger than its partner

:lol:

Or a lot larger.

I had the same thought, but I chalked it up to one of two things: (1) they are from different pairs, or (2) my eyes were playing tricks on me.

thams

Reaction score
The epiphany I've had over the last couple months here is that you just need to own your sickness to your wife. Re-soleability, resaleability, patina, elegance, timelessness or any other reasoning can sound to our significant others as a plain and simple rationalization. Just tell her you're doing it and live with the eye roll for a couple days.

Here's hoping I'm still married in 2014 after I take my Christmas trip to Leffot for some EGs...

Looking forward to seeing your cigar boot acquisition!
Visited Kathy at Alden DC and gave the 8E cigar cap toe boots a whirl. They didn't quite have the length I need although the width was good. Plus, the boots' colors were mismatched because one was on display for so long. I just couldn't justify spending $750 on a boot that doesn't quite fit right.

In an interesting side note, Kathy said of all the shell colors black seems the most difficult to get from the Alden factory right now. She also told me that in the not so distant past there was a 5-year period when she could only get #8. Shell colors ebb and flow, so it's difficult to speculate when they become available. I know it's not a huge revelation, but it's interesting to hear it come from someone who speaks with the Alden factory a good deal.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Visited Kathy at Alden DC and gave the 8E cigar cap toe boots a whirl.  They didn't quite have the length I need although the width was good.  Plus, the boots' colors were mismatched because one was on display for so long.  I just couldn't justify spending $750 on a boot that doesn't quite fit right.  

In an interesting side note, Kathy said of all the shell colors black seems the most difficult to get from the Alden factory right now.  She also told me that in the not so distant past there was a 5-year period when she could only get #8.  Shell colors ebb and flow, so it's difficult to speculate when they become available.  I know it's not a huge revelation, but it's interesting to hear it come from someone who speaks with the Alden factory a good deal.

She told me the same thing. I took it with a grain of salt as I asked about several models they only had in black - the color 8 was gone.

thams

Reaction score
Which I think is sound logic.
Lol, I couldn't tell if you were making fun of me. It's easy to get caught up in rarer shell colors and want to pull the trigger. I keep telling myself that there will always be another pair!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Visited Kathy at Alden DC and gave the 8E cigar cap toe boots a whirl.  They didn't quite have the length I need although the width was good.  Plus, the boots' colors were mismatched because one was on display for so long.  I just couldn't justify spending $750 on a boot that doesn't quite fit right.  

In an interesting side note, Kathy said of all the shell colors black seems the most difficult to get from the Alden factory right now.  She also told me that in the not so distant past there was a 5-year period when she could only get #8.  Shell colors ebb and flow, so it's difficult to speculate when they become available.  I know it's not a huge revelation, but it's interesting to hear it come from someone who speaks with the Alden factory a good deal.

I guess I should pull the trigger on the 9016 sooner rather than later...

totalair1

Reaction score

Lol, I couldn't tell if you were making fun of me.  It's easy to get caught up in rarer shell colors and want to pull the trigger.  I keep telling myself that there will always be another pair!

For many of the member the statement there will always be another pair is true. For some it's just a dream because of foot width or length". I doubt many of the rare color boots have ever been made in size 13 or 14 except for MTO. There's a few I'm sure but fairly slim pickings". I'm hoping some pre-orders for whiskey, cigar, and Ravello get confirmed in the future and I can get on one.

Until then I'm going to enjoy my King #8 PCT boots, along with some Kudu and CXL Indies and be happy, happy as they say on Duck Dynasty!

See Ya,
Steve

thams

Reaction score
For many of the member the statement there will always be another pair is true. For some it's just a dream because of foot width or length". I doubt many of the rare color boots have ever been made in size 13 or 14 except for MTO. There's a few I'm sure but fairly slim pickings". I'm hoping some pre-orders for whiskey, cigar, and Ravello get confirmed in the future and I can get on one.

Until then I'm going to enjoy my King #8 PCT boots, along with some Kudu and CXL Indies and be happy, happy as they say on Duck Dynasty!

See Ya,
Steve
Steve, FWIW when I talked to Kathy we got into a conversation about less common sizes. She said they always stock larger and smaller sizes in almost every order they do. You may already know this and might be on her lists already. If not, it might be worth giving her a ring.

jsd642

Reaction score
Thought I would post some pictures of the AF109 boots I purchased from Alden of Carmel (in natural light compared to the artificial lighting posted before) . I spoke to Adam regarding the variation in the color (#8) and he mentioned they had a batch of shoes and boots that were lighter than the standard #8 (this boot being part of that batch). Very happy with the boot and color.

szerwo

Reaction score
Just wanted to share these black shell wingtip boots. Shell is remarkable, with some brushing it looks as good as new but these have been worn extensively. Non-alden commando with some fresh laces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads