• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
no, dude, you should let Tom know. aldens are not cheap and you should have an awesome retail experience - regardless of how you 'come off.' i worked in semi-high end retail and rule #1 is treat the customer well, regardless of how you perceive them. seriously, i think LS prides themselves on their customer service - i've had nothing but good experiences with tom.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear about how this was handled. My experience with Shoemart seconds has been terrible. 1st quality Aldens can be ****** enough, I wouldn't even consider the seconds.
I'm also not a fan of Shoemart, but that's a story for another day.

Understandable Namor, and please do update us about what Alden says. I dont understand why they insist we deal with the retail store and not directly with them.

Namor: since you're going to contact Alden anyway...I think you should make a thread about the QA problems and have members post up as well. You guys own a vast amount of Aldens so it's not like they're losing customers who bought 1 or 2 pairs. Send Alden the thread and hopefully that will do something for them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Best of luck, dude.

I guess with seconds it's a little more understandable. A little. Maybe.
However, Alden seems to act like a stingy start-up with liquidity problems. They are however, over 100 years old and sell more shoes than they can make. They have got to be raking in the dough after the last several years, what with all the waiting lists for highly priced shoes. A replacement or merchandise credit for Peterson (the original purchaser) was in order, not a half-assed repair job. This stuff starts from the top and based on some other stories I've heard, Tarlow and Company's customer service strategy would be an epic fail in any business school case study.
They are one of those companies in a unique position where they can get away with stuff like this, but it doesn't have to be that way. In fact, if they gave a crap, their following would grow and they could probably charge even more for the shoes and not lose volume.
With all that said, I still want cigar shell indy boots. But without flaws--I don't need 'em that bad.
The good thing for you is that the flaw is on the back part of the shoe, never will be noticed, and the shoes probably look great otherwise. Enjoy wearing.

Got a response from Alden:

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for your message and the accompanying photos. We agree that the repair work on these boots is not up to standard. That is the result of some miscommunication between us and The Shoe Mart. I have spoken with Ed Zapatka at The Shoe Mart and am copying him on this message. If you return the boots to his attention, he will be happy to issue a refund.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Alden Shoe Co

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as promised, some better pics in better light. enjoy!
6194196958_0f79fd627c_z.jpg

6193692997_7baebb45b0_z.jpg

6194197674_6f9f462924_z.jpg

6194197322_f119b434c6_z.jpg
I like how the cigar and the floor colour matches....

I want cigar LWBs so bad... these from Shoe Mart or Alden directly?

vivalet

Reaction score
Bryan has been nothing but the best to me. And, while I am a customer, I am not the biggest spender. I walk in wearing _ga-ga-ga-gasp_ rainbow flip flops sometimes and he treats me with the utmost respect. I read these criticisms of him and I can't quite believe it.

send an email to Tom with your experience..

I don't really think that there's any point. I've read some conflicting experiences re: Bryan from LSBH in this thread before, both good and bad. From what I can gather, lots of people have good experiences with him, while a small group of people have ended up less than pleased. I think my problem with him was him coming across as a bit supercilious in our conversations, and I can certainly see how that sort of attitude could be traded in for a much more accommodating one if the customer in question were a bit more, erm, affluent. :embar:

On another note, I purchased a pair of Common Projects a while ago after Bryson Higa of another LS location helped me, and he was really a great guy.

ninja07, those are some great looking longwings.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all those with experience on the Grant last, do you take the same size as in the Barrie, i.e. size down 1/2, or stick with your TTS? For example, I take a 10D in Barrie/trubalance and 10.5 in plaza/leydon/Hampton. So not sure whether to go 10 or 10.5 in the Grant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Ravello Medallion Cap Toe...
IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Thanks to Mac for posting his pics of this makeup. Thanks to all the SF'ers who managed to get Kathy to reissue this makeup. Lastly thanks to Kathy, and the fact that she had my size left in stock. :)

These are nice,requoted for awesomeness. Plaza last?

Thanks for all the kind words & compliments on the RMCTs. Good eye…Plaza last they are.

Last edited:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For all those with experience on the Grant last, do you take the same size as in the Barrie, i.e. size down 1/2, or stick with your TTS? For example, I take a 10D in Barrie/trubalance and 10.5 in plaza/leydon/Hampton. So not sure whether to go 10 or 10.5 in the Grant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My experience has the plaza and grant being equal in size. This works very well for me.

HorseHide

Reaction score

I think it depends on the width of your foot - the Grant last is about the same length as the Barrie but the toe box isn't as generous. I am a 9 B/D in the Barrie and a 9.5 B/D in the Plaza - I find the 9 B/D Grant to be snug but the 9.5 B/D Grant is a little too roomy. I know I could try the 9 C/E but I've just decided to avoid the Grant (the only exception being the Ravello hunting boot from Leffot...)

g.michael

Reaction score
NAMOR--that's a great response from Alden. Now since you bought them second hand, I don't really know how you work out the actual logistics (if you do anything at all). But it's the right response from Alden.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It depends.
I went with the same size in Grant and Barrie/Trubalance.
The Grant does fit me snugger than Barrie/Trubalance.

enigma77

Reaction score

It depends.
I went with the same size in Grant and Barrie/Trubalance.
The Grant does fit me snugger than Barrie/Trubalance.

+1.

The Grant is an interesting last. It's on the sleeker side, which means less room in some areas like the toe, but still somewhat long. I take 10.5D in Leydon/Aberdeen/TTS, 10D in Barrie/Trubalance, and find that sizing down to 10D on the Grant is the best for me.

To size yourself, you can try ordering some of the Alden longwings made for Brooks Brothers, and then returning them (verify return policy, of course). They're on the Grant. Note that some of the longwings for BB are not Alden, so you'll have to be careful when you look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads