• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

JTMD

Reaction score
Just be realistic here. Alden doesn’t allocate rare shell just because a retailer asks for it. You might be waiting a long time.

OK. Thank you for that caveat. So a store that has carried an Alden stocklist the past 2 decades couldn't put in an order for a model in rarer shell and expect to get it in the 2 year time frame we see with I.e. B&M? When shown Ravello boots he claimed he could pit in an order but there is no call for rare Shell from his clients to justify the minimum 12 pair order.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I know a retailer that is similarly set up to do such things. Said they'd be willing to do that for a rare shell order or even a "semi MTO" if I could get enough people to lock in on specs and pay in advance.

Said stockist gets one rare shell allotment per year typically does their own thing but is willing to do an arranged MTO.

JTMD

Reaction score
I know a retailer that is similarly set up to do such things. Said they'd be willing to do that for a rare shell order or even a "semi MTO" if I could get enough people to lock in on specs and pay in advance.

Said stockist gets one rare shell allotment per year typically does their own thing but is willing to do an arranged MTO.

I don't see why it wouldn't work though I'm willing to admit that I haven't explored every detail of it. Of course I wouldn't expect it to be done as a priority and of course it takes 6 months just to get a regular order out of Alden. If I went in and made it justifiable for my local guy to place the order, I don't understand why he couldn't. He seems to say he could when shown a pair of Ravello. He's had a relationship with Alden the past 2 decades that I've been into the hobby. I wouldn't expect a small shop in Europe to take priority... but you'd think they'd be allowed an order every year or 2 of the rarer shell...but again...just an idea I had as my shop never sells rarer shell (but is usually happy to cater to their long time clients). I'd expect he'd probably take a similar profit for himself and want a decent down payment (if not all of it)...but on the surface it appears to be doable. I'd want to have others interested before I approached him with the idea further. One of the issues with Alden is their no US shoes to Europe (and perhaps vice versa) policy. That might leave me on the hook for the purchase as well as handling shipping. I might not mention that my friends aren't all in europe As I said, there would certainly be some negatives. Shipping , VAT, returns, etc...and of course as the other gent mentioned, there might be issues with allotment that might take longer than other Alden retailers. Anyways...I figured it might be worth at least enquiring further about if I could find the interest

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
learningtodress