• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Mavidpark

Reaction score
From my experience, the shade of snuff can change from batch to batch.

As for the logo stamp, possible it's just the lighting that's giving off the impression that one is white-ish? To me they could both be gold.

Yeah I'm realizing this now. Based on the responses I've received from different places. I believe they're both 6243f loafers. Different batch and date production must be the reason for the different shade of suede.

Opinions on which one look nicer? #2 look better taken care of, but #1 has the classic snuff suede color that I've been so accustomed to seeing. #2 seems more reddish.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Yeah I'm realizing this now. Based on the responses I've received from different places. I believe they're both 6243f loafers. Different batch and date production must be the reason for the different shade of suede.

Opinions on which one look nicer? #2 look better taken care of, but #1 has the classic snuff suede color that I've been so accustomed to seeing. #2 seems more reddish.

I would get whichever pair is in better condition though the reddish is quite desirable in my opinion. I haven't come across the more reddish snuff in years.

Rowyourboat

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Alden shoes. These are the LHS loafers in black shell cordovan. They fit reasonably well already but excited to break them in a little bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.20.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.20.16 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 30

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Beater shell in the rain and then some maintenance (along with AE loafers and Leffot naval boots).
Ironically I got these straight tips off the 'bay but they were originally a run by Sherman Brothers -- which is about four blocks from where I used to live in Center City Philadelphia.
IMG20240412170227.jpg

IMG20240412224439.jpg

tuna roll

Reaction score
Stopped by Moulded Shoes this week as I wanted to try the Modified Last.

Sam was a pleasure to deal with. I mentioned by size in other lasts but he wanted to measure me anyway. Then he put me in a pair of 8D (calf) and suggested 7.5E for cordovan. Both fit be very well but shell in 7.5E was slightly better. I ended up with these beauties in color 8. Super stoked to find them in my size.

IMG_5469.jpeg

Curiously when put side by side they look about 1/2 or 1/4 size longer than my size 8 Van shoes or my 8.5 Barrie / Leydon / Aberdeen pairs, despite the 7.5 sizing. All these lasts fit me well but the Modified might be the most comfortable.

I also find the design of the Modified Last quite flattering, despite mixed opinions online. Sure the toe box is tall and looks a bit quirky, but the tapered waist and narrow heel look very nice IMO. Bespokeish. I didn’t size up like Anatomica suggests, just took Sam’s suggestion which feels snug around the ankle, instep and vamp, comfortable around the joints and roomy in the toe box.

My feet actually might look a bit smaller in them compared to the Barrie and Van last, due to the tapered waist. Anyway, super happy with these. Sam is the best and I’ll definitely buy more pairs in this last.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t really call it “breaking-in” because they fit so well, but I am starting to wear my birthday presents (2161s) around the house so they can make friends with my feet. All this Aberdeen talk today inspired me. Black shell and sweatpants is so 2024.

IMG_3993.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ravello for a Saturday.

IMG_0109.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these Unlined Shell Dover's from Brick and Mortar second hand. Been looking for a pair for a while. Was able to put some life back in them with a little TLC. Super comfortable. I'm super happy.

View attachment 2166059 View attachment 2166061

In addition to @smfdoc comment, to the best of my knowledge, the B&M make is the only one with a flat welt. I can’t justify knew but have been scanning all the usual places for a used pair. You got the best of the best. Congrats.

Speaking of @smfdoc, those Ravello wings? Good grief, incredible!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member