• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

No spam, just hopefully a PSA. I’ve got 8 eBay listings, far more than I can get in my SF signature. All shells, 6 Aldens, an EG and a C&J. All without bids are discontinued on SF. Search for seller scklc and reach back if any interest. SF discount is between 10-14% for single purchases and slightly higher for multiple, and domestic shipping is free.

Ok, back to our regular programming……..
Thinking about listing those Color 8 Viberg Service Boots anytime soon?

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Providing an update on Brogue. The response to their call for support was met with tremendous contributions from their customers (including many on this forum). Want to link their blog entry from a few days ago, and thank all of you who have supported Mack and Joy!

tuna roll

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first of all happy 2024 ;) thanks to a friend living in US, i’m about to buy my two first Alden loafers : 986 in color 8 and 6243f snuff suede. As you can imagine impossible to try them in France... I own a pair Weston 180 size 6D. If any of you own both weston 180 and Alden LHS, it would be great to tell me the sizes so i can use the same report. Thanks a lot !!
Did you end up buying the Alden loafers? How did it work out?

I have a pair of Alden LHS size 8E and a pair of JM 180 size 7D (in JM Weston’s house sizing… which I believe is different than the US sizing).

Length is about the same on both shoes. Alden’s upper is thicker overall, specially at the toe and heel areas due to padding. The toe area is also a bit narrower and has less vertical room. As a result, Aldens feels slightly smaller (in length) compared to the 180’s (but under 1/4 size… I wouldn’t change my sizes).

My 180s are one size smaller in width vs the Aldens, and it shows - they pinch a bit at my metatarsal, which doesn’t happen with the Aldens. This means two things: (1) I’m selling my 180s and getting a 7E and (2) I believe their with scale is about the same (Alden E = 180 E).

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toughest part will be getting down to 5 boots. I can’t imagine these will be going anywhere, but hell, I’ve got about 8 pairs I could say that about with 2 incoming. Oh well, first world problems for another day. For today, See-Gaaar Splits from TSM with an amazing view of our beautiful city………..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy Friday-eve Gents.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toughest part will be getting down to 5 boots. I can’t imagine these will be going anywhere, but hell, I’ve got about 8 pairs I could say that about with 2 incoming. Oh well, first world problems for another day. For today, See-Gaaar Splits from TSM with an amazing view of our beautiful city………..

View attachment 2140959

View attachment 2140961

Happy Friday-eve Gents.
Do you ever try to dress these up? If so how does it look?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever try to dress these up? If so how does it look?

Sometimes it feels like I’ve become somewhat of a snob (though I like ‘purist’ better 😏) but I generally won’t dress up commando on antique. Commando/black edges, I dress up a lot. These were always intended to be casual and high-mileage as I love the look of well cared for, aged shell. These have finally hit the sweet spot.

Lot of words when a simple ‘no’ would have sufficed……..

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im torn between getting something of a dress boot in a smooth leather vs a reverse chamois for the first boot. Something to wear with tweed, flannels, cords, and occasionally chinos or jeans.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Im torn between getting something of a dress boot in a smooth leather vs a reverse chamois for the first boot. Something to wear with tweed, flannels, cords, and occasionally chinos or jeans.
You know the right answer is BOTH, right? :)

But really, either choice sounds solid IMO. I'm partial to "less dressy" footwear as it works well for me with tailoring and casual pieces alike, while I tend to wear my dressier shoes more with tailoring. But YMMV.

Reverse chamois in a darker colour (dark brown, dark green) is very versatile.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

IMG_3703.jpg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know the right answer is BOTH, right? :)

But really, either choice sounds solid IMO. I'm partial to "less dressy" footwear as it works well for me with tailoring and casual pieces alike, while I tend to wear my dressier shoes more with tailoring. But YMMV.

Reverse chamois in a darker colour (dark brown, dark green) is very versatile.
Lol don’t i know it.

I am leaning to the chamois for the same reasons you outlined. For fully dressy and proper wool suits I have shoes. If I ever find a tweed suit then I would wear boots with that. Otherwise it is more casual outfits.

I didn’t know there was a dark green…. Now I have real problems. Is it a special offering or shop that has it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads