• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

CLH03

Reaction score
They feel fine almost... just feeling a tiny bit tight around the top of feet. Hence the thought of sizing up to a 9. Will probably visit the local store to have another go at the 8.5.
They definitely start out a little snug in the instep/top of foot, for most people. That goes away pretty soon though. I guess try the 9 and see but most of the time people size down 1/2 from brannock or take the same size as their TB or Barrie.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
IMG_9722.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals.

IMG_3696.jpg

bluebirdy

Reaction score
They definitely start out a little snug in the instep/top of foot, for most people. That goes away pretty soon though. I guess try the 9 and see but most of the time people size down 1/2 from brannock or take the same size as their TB or Barrie.
Went back to the store and got measured on the brannock. Came in at 8.5. Tried on another pair of 8.5 and they felt amazing. Thanks for the help!

20240227_215050.jpg

DJYello

Reaction score
Purchasing Aldens online is such a gamble these days. I had to return 2 pairs recently.

The vamp lining doest lay flat on top of the shoe, causing this weird lump inside the shoe. Not to mention it being a little bit too creased for a new shoe.
The 2nd shoe is barely factory seconds.

IMG_5996.jpeg IMG_6023.jpeg IMG_6022.jpeg

tuna roll

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I have a pair of calfskin LHS in 8.5E. My Brannock size is 9, so I went with the usual “half size down” with the Van last and it feels good. Been using it for a couple of years now.

Now I’m looking at the 986 (shell cordovan LHS). Is there any difference in fit / sizing between calf and shell LHSs that I should be aware of?

I’m also considering an unlined suede LHS. Again, any difference in fit compared to calf LHS?

Thanks!

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy WTW in suede.

IMG_3700.JPG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

No spam, just hopefully a PSA. I’ve got 8 eBay listings, far more than I can get in my SF signature. All shells, 6 Aldens, an EG and a C&J. All without bids are discontinued on SF. Search for seller scklc and reach back if any interest. SF discount is between 10-14% for single purchases and slightly higher for multiple, and domestic shipping is free.

Ok, back to our regular programming……..

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

No spam, just hopefully a PSA. I’ve got 8 eBay listings, far more than I can get in my SF signature. All shells, 6 Aldens, an EG and a C&J. All without bids are discontinued on SF. Search for seller scklc and reach back if any interest. SF discount is between 10-14% for single purchases and slightly higher for multiple, and domestic shipping is free.

Ok, back to our regular programming……..

More power to you for making some hard decisions. How did you do it?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More power to you for making some hard decisions. How did you do it?

Been thinking about it since C-19. I’m ITO much less (though now I am close to back normal) and even when ITO, the dress dynamic has changed. But the biggest driver quite honestly has been my recent decision to retire. Having all of this footwear sit on the rack on the off chance that I may wear them is far different than having them collect dust when I know I won’t wear them.

What I didn’t expect was just how liberating it would be. Maybe because I have been thinking about it since C-19 but as I kept listing pair after pair, I kept feeling a little bit better. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still got a ton of really nice footwear so I won’t be crashing the Goodwill anytime soon. But for me, at this stage of my life, it was time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads