• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my Tan Smooth Chamois "Huron" boots from Brogue. Smooth chamois is becoming a favorite upper material cause it's similar to nubuck to the touch, but so much more rugged! The lightweight wedge sole is a must and has decent traction even on wet concrete!
1000009848.jpg

colton2e

Reaction score
I would go the opposite way and try 10C. I have had very little success in trying to go down in length and up in width. The heel is going to be even wider and sloppier.
This was my experience on Van. Shorter and wider just made everything worse. Toes were still cramped and the back of the foot felt sloppy. If the toes are cramped but not the rest of the foot you need to go longer and narrower. And sadly sometimes you just have to accept that some lasts don’t work for you, especially with slip ons.

rdaws

Reaction score
This was my experience on Van. Shorter and wider just made everything worse. Toes were still cramped and the back of the foot felt sloppy. If the toes are cramped but not the rest of the foot you need to go longer and narrower. And sadly sometimes you just have to accept that some lasts don’t work for you, especially with slip ons.

Guess I'll give it a shot. My worry with that strategy is that it's a pretty short vamp, so pushing it further out over my foot could be problematic, in addition to moving the back further away from my heel, which I feel like is already a problem. Maybe I'll buy 10C and 9E and return one (or both).

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. The Van last just doesn't work for me. However, a pair of $22 Cole Haans are perfect. 😆

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
IIRC, Horween was having "trouble" with whiskey a while back and this has apparently been resolved. But this may help explain some of the color differences in old and new whiskey. Meanwhile, it is a boot day again.

View attachment 2135557

Well the funny thing is that Horween hasn’t made true Whiskey Shell Cordovan in about 3 years, it had been replaced by Bourbon Shell Cordovan. It has a similar shade but uses different chemicals to achieve the color. Alden still calls it Whiskey.

-Mike

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Watchman1, no words my-man. Well, maybe one……Amazing!!

In the teens on the way ITO and forecasted to touch 50 on the way home. Pittsburgh weather. OB’s are pretty versatile and today, they get the call…….

View attachment 2135485

The shade on these is easily the most interesting of any footwear I own. Easy to match as the shade seems to change 2-3 times a day.

And of course, the money shot. Been shaking things up at work with ‘rows’ but from time to time you gotta let it catch some air and breathe…….

View attachment 2135481

Happy Tuesday gang. Have a great day.
There are always incredible shoes on this thread and I very rarely have any shoe envy, but day in and day out of my life one thing I do have is hair envy.

Now that looks like a head of hair to be jealous of !

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the funny thing is that Horween hasn’t made true Whiskey Shell Cordovan in about 3 years, it had been replaced by Bourbon Shell Cordovan. It has a similar shade but uses different chemicals to achieve the color. Alden still calls it Whiskey.

-Mike
I asked the Alden rep at a Trunk Show and he dismissed this claim. Even though we've seen all the Whiskey Shell shoes get darker and darker to the point where they're comparable to my Bourbon Shell AEs.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are always incredible shoes on this thread and I very rarely have any shoe envy, but day in and day out of my life one thing I do have is hair envy.

Now that looks like a head of hair to be jealous of !

Ha. It has come in pretty good. Not quite my high school fro but I am pleased. Much appreciated Saz, thanks!

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked the Alden rep at a Trunk Show and he dismissed this claim. Even though we've seen all the Whiskey Shell shoes get darker and darker to the point where they're comparable to my Bourbon Shell AEs.

He's wrong. From Horween themselves, as of Oct 1, 2023: https://www.thetanneryrow.com/leather101/cordovanquestions

When will you have Whiskey Shell Cordovan again?
At this time, Horween does not have a plan to provide whiskey again. The dyes that were used to make Whiskey are now obsolete for environmental reasons and the replacement dyes do not allow us to make the color.
The closest color that Horween makes is Bourbon. Whiskey was a bit more yellow than Bourbon.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Franky

Reaction score
IMG_5524.jpeg
IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5521.jpeg IMG_5525.jpeg

A few shots of all my Alden shoes. Getting some c8 tassel loafers in the mail on Friday. Very excited and hope the seconds flaw whatever it is isn’t too bad. Next on the list is some Ravello but that’s a couple of months away after a 4-5 year wait.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Alden fam, passing along some info I received from Mack at Brogue.

With all of the heavy rain we've received in California, Brogue was unfortunately flooded, causing substantial damage to the shop.
unnamed.jpg

While they're not asking for donations (and did NOT ask me to post this), they are asking for people to support their recovery endeavors by purchasing gift cards (at a discounted rate from 10% to 18% off). I will be participating and hope that many others on here will also consider supporting Brogue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads