• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

slows2k

Reaction score
I have been buying Alden’s since 2013 maybe. Definitely run into minor issues here and there, but my tolerance for things like imperfect stitching and such is higher than I perceive most people here, especially if it fundamentally doesn’t affect wearability. However, I have noticed the worst quality control on standard 403/405 Indy’s. I don’t know why but I’ve seen more poorly stitched or attached heels in those boots than any other.

The biggest QC flaw IMO, is that their sizing has become more and more inconsistent. I have bought Barrie lasted shoes and boots in 8D for many years but in the last few more and more of them are too tight or narrow in those sizes, where my old ones fit fine. I am usually able to find a size that fits me even accommodating that, but what it means is I have to opt out of preordering anything in Barrie, since the size isn’t guaranteed anymore. That’s very frustrating.

And make no mistake: Alden is my favorite boot and shoe maker, and they’re nearly the only company I buy from. But I have definitely run into more issues than should be expected. It’s also true that every pair of CJ I have worn or seen has been completely flawless. It is possible to do it, Alden just opts not to.

JTMD

Reaction score
I have been buying Alden’s since 2013 maybe. Definitely run into minor issues here and there, but my tolerance for things like imperfect stitching and such is higher than I perceive most people here, especially if it fundamentally doesn’t affect wearability. However, I have noticed the worst quality control on standard 403/405 Indy’s. I don’t know why but I’ve seen more poorly stitched or attached heels in those boots than any other.

The biggest QC flaw IMO, is that their sizing has become more and more inconsistent. I have bought Barrie lasted shoes and boots in 8D for many years but in the last few more and more of them are too tight or narrow in those sizes, where my old ones fit fine. I am usually able to find a size that fits me even accommodating that, but what it means is I have to opt out of preordering anything in Barrie, since the size isn’t guaranteed anymore. That’s very frustrating.

And make no mistake: Alden is my favorite boot and shoe maker, and they’re nearly the only company I buy from. But I have definitely run into more issues than should be expected. It’s also true that every pair of CJ I have worn or seen has been completely flawless. It is possible to do it, Alden just opts not to.

Is there anything you can attribute to the changing sizes? Sounds bizarre. I could perhaps see in the past that lasts could diminish in size with extended use over an extended period of time but such issues should be considered by now...and I'd guess they're probably not using old lasts.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. We certainly must have crossed paths in the city at some point during our Alden journies. I went to both of those J Crew stores regularly - and I am pretty sure I bought, and returned, a pair of the brass ravello longwings to the Suit Shop!
Always keep your head down while walking the streets of NYC. Never know when you’re gonna spot some Aldens or some cash.

JTMD

Reaction score
Always keep your head down while walking the streets of NYC. Never know when you’re gonna spot some Aldens or some cash.

Yeah...but if you spot a dead body you'd be required to report it. Best to keep your gaze up in NYC. The occasional $20 isn't worth it :p

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Perhaps I was thinking someone else might weigh in and mention their experience with the brand versus just letting the one liners slide. All the members here and no one but Soze has an opinion on Alden QC?

Just let it go.

Cue up that Kenny Rogers song…

JTMD

Reaction score
If someone made a New CXL scented candle, I’d buy 6 dozen.

And how would you compare the new CXL smell to Shell? I have no CXL whatsoever in my closet as I've been blinded by shell (same goes with suede with only 1 rarely worn pair)

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
403C from Alden of Madison. A few QC issues but I won’t stoke those flames….

IMG_3289.jpeg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
403C from Alden of Madison. A few QC issues but I won’t stoke those flames….

View attachment 2242133

AoM got in a few nice Indy models. Here are my 40508HC. I’ve owned a few Indy models in cordovan but nice to have this one with the 270 welt, dark edges

IMG_2781.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 43

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defensive? I simply enquired as to your experience as it is the exact opposite of mine. Ive seen you crying a couple times but never any other participation such as posting photos of all these defects you mention...yep pretty much nothing from you but whining and crying..I get it...the tears are flowing for some reason. You are upset and bitter over something...but you haven't really proved your point with the whining and crying any more than my 5 year old crying because she can't have candy. We have plenty of members that seem quite happy with their Aldens. There are dedicated threads to the brand on numerous websites. They post photos of these products that they are happy with...then we have you...boohoohoo...Alden QC sucks...just don't ask for any proof beyond my word...boohoohoo...A business does something I disagree with...boohooohoo..and no, I don't want to purchase anything versus just whining and crying over their business model. It isn't "defensive" to follow through on your whining..simply asking for evidence beyond the tears you shed. If you asked for photos of QC issues from Carmina...I have some..If you want proof of Carmina's garbage Customer service, I can provide emails..you...boohoohoo.

5 pairs, 5 faults? amazing...Perhaps you cried too much so they started sending you seconds as a joke? Just compare the 15 pairs in my closest with no issues...and unlike you, I actually post photos of my shoes here. Anyone is free to comment on any defects of preferred details. Maybe you can do a side by side phot session of your perfect C&Js versus the "standard" QC issues you have with your Aldens? Show us some proof versus just whining?I have at least 10 other shoe brands in my closest with European brands leading over Alden at least 2 to 1 (to include C&J) so you can't use the "Alden fan boy" cr*p.

I look forward to your inspiring post showing us your point of view versus just more crying
LOL the only person with tears and whining is you. I'm literally laughing at you at my desk now.

Gentlemen - one of the defining characteristics of this community/thread over the years is the near-complete absence of crap like this. I don't think I'm alone in saying y'all should reconsider your approach here, or choose not to engage entirely.

@JTMD @Keyser_Söze

Gents, disagreements are well and good, but please move this back-and-forth to PMs.
Exactly.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get replacement laces for my new pair of cordovan Indys. What am I looking for, exactly? I only know dress laces but never bought them for these sort of half workwear/half dress boots
Gentlemen - one of the defining characteristics of this community/thread over the years is the near-complete absence of crap like this. I don't think I'm alone in saying y'all should reconsider your approach here, or choose not to engage entirely.

Exactly.
Agree 100% and I've been meaning to chime in sooner. The respect and gentlemanly tone that has been present on this thread since I joined in 2006 should not be lost. Uncle Mac would not be proud.

Differing opinions should not lead to insults and public sparring.

One can love Alden, as I surely do, and simultaneously admit to, and accept, their sometimes-too-often QC issues.

Wear and enjoy in good health Alden brothers.

JTMD

Reaction score
Agree 100% and I've been meaning to chime in sooner. The respect and gentlemanly tone that has been present on this thread since I joined in 2006 should not be lost. Uncle Mac would not be proud.

Differing opinions should not lead to insults and public sparring.

One can love Alden, as I surely do, and simultaneously admit to, and accept, their sometimes-too-often QC issues.

Wear and enjoy in good health Alden brothers.

Well then...hate to rain on your parade...so long and thanks for all the fish...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good grief, go for a quick ride on some trails and around the city, come back to 47 unread posts. Had a hunch it was either some great new rare’s were just released or a catfight. While I admittingly have strong feelings about Aldens ‘rare shoe’ approach (and yes, we should stop using rare as they really are easy to get), I refrained from jumping in when that conversation was being held. But I will wade gingerly into this discussion even though I am kind of on both sides of the fence.

While my tolerance for imperfection is likely higher that most on this site, I still don’t think Alden has QC issues that you won’t find anywhere else. Go to the EG forum, you will see the same complaints. And don’t get me started on the Viberg forum. Geez, those guys take complaining to an entirely new level. And neither Viberg nor EG have more QC issues than Alden (EG admittingly has less but at 50% more, they should). In all the footwear I have purchased from Alden, I have had one, two at most, that prompted me to return them. Mr. Soz’e must have exceptionally bad luck with Alden. I would avoid black cats and walking under ladders if I were him.

However, it does annoy me when someone drops a comma on footwear, expresses a reasonable complaint, and the usual suspects (pun intended) leap to Alden’s defense as though they have a personal financial stake in the company (for the record, I do not believe @JTMD was doing that). You can love Alden (as I obviously do) and still recognize that they are far from perfect.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SillyPants