• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwester

Reaction score
At the start of 2022 my New Years vow was to enjoy the shoes I have and limit new purchases to special opportunities. One pair I did get, right before the 2022 price rise, were these tobacco reverse chamois jumpers from Harry's Shoes. They are just like the Sherman Brothers pair, but with more understated brown hardware. They are my first pair of reverse chamois, and I couldn't be happier. They are the perfect Seattle and travel boot; light weight, and you can rinse off any mud or dirt, yet they are dressy enough for most situations. I still associate Alden with shell, but have become sold on their suede and chamois offerings as well.
RCJumpers.jpg

Leisurely Loafing

Reaction score
It’s funny how when I started collecting I really wanted the rare shell.. now I’ve passed on more rare shell in the last few years than I can count. Just hasn’t been the right make up for me really though. Truthfully, black and color 8 are the best hands down and I’ve only learned that in the last couple years 😂
I’ve been really lucky to land the exact makeups I wanted and pass on anything that doesn’t make the cut. At this point, the only thing I’m interested in is a pair of ravello lwbs but that’s not even close to a priority.

I’m trying to wear the pairs I have more and considering selling the pairs that rarely get worn shell or not.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TSM boots have landed here. These were my original "grail" boots and waited years to finally procure a pair. Not going to lie - thought I was wanting the more "classic" shade of ravello, but absolutely love these boots.
20230307_175903.jpg

It is interesting how ravello has evolved over the years. Obviously the shell changes color with wear and over time, but here are a couple others for reference.
20230307_175943.jpg

I thought this newest TSM was almost like a lighter cigar, but here is a pic with their cigar brothers for a comparison.
20230307_182456.jpg

A pic with some whiskey for reference for good measure too. 😉
20230307_180948.jpg

It is a good day here in MN! Cheers all!

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both artificially scarce and wantonly overpriced!
I don’t think the big three SS sports Rolexes are overpriced or artificially scarce. I think there are more than enough people who would scramble to pay retail for a Sub, GMT or Daytona.

I think it’s a shame cigar shell isn’t readily available especially for some standard catalogue offerings; WTB, LHS, PTB. It certainly is other places. I turned down three pairs of very nice rare boots in the last year just because they weren’t Indy’s. I love Barrie for shoes but it’s TruBalance for me in boots.

It’s got to really tick all the boxes for me to spend $1k anymore. Did it for whiskey and cigar Indy’s but I feel I’m getting close to quality/quantity satiation on the collection. Maybe two or three open spots but I’m not paying a grand for cigar LHS. I’ll keep my AE Patriots, much as I prefer a steel shank.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the big three SS sports Rolexes are overpriced or artificially scarce. I think there are more than enough people who would scramble to pay retail for a Sub, GMT or Daytona.

I think it’s a shame cigar shell isn’t readily available especially for some standard catalogue offerings; WTB, LHS, PTB. It certainly is other places. I turned down three pairs of very nice rare boots in the last year just because they weren’t Indy’s. I love Barrie for shoes but it’s TruBalance for me in boots.

It’s got to really tick all the boxes for me to spend $1k anymore. Did it for whiskey and cigar Indy’s but I feel I’m getting close to quality/quantity satiation on the collection. Maybe two or three open spots but I’m not paying a grand for cigar LHS. I’ll keep my AE Patriots, much as I prefer a steel shank.
Yes—AE “brown” (aka Cigar) is top notch. Mrs. V got me these Randolphs for Christmas.

3572DBD6-A53E-402A-A7D9-3391FFE3C40C.jpeg

barutanseijin

Reaction score
If anything, with my office shifting to fewer suits, and my knees no longer enjoying commando or dainite, I'm tempted sell all of my boots that aren't on double leather and buy two pairs of Edward Green Dover derbies on HAF soles and call it a day.

I was thinking i’d do with a pair of Galways, a pair of EG Dovers and some Alden LWB & loafers. The hard part is moving the excess footwear.

ac106

Reaction score

Right and Rolex doesn’t make enough of them, on purpose, hence artificial scarcity

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right and Rolex doesn’t make enough of them, on purpose, hence artificial scarcity
Maybe, we don’t know. I’m certainly aware of the accusation. Not at all in my experience though. Alden rare shell is way way way harder to get. I mean, if anyone is artificially scarcifying (probably not a word) here it’s Alden brown shell. That’s why at a thousand a pop, I’m like aww hell naw, I can get way more dopamine over here with a lot less work. My kids gonna want a hype watch or ten pair of shoes when I’m gone? Love Alden, but I think they can be normalizing at least one brown shell boot, loafer, blucher and oxford. Brown ain’t rare! Say it with me.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some really nice makeups in rare shell lately. 13E means the pre-order route and waiting for Black & C8 Shell Indys to be made within this year via B+M.
Also waiting to be called for Whiskey / Cigar / C4 / Old Bronze / Amaretto / VIBGYOR / any rare shell Indy.....hey one can dream, right?!

Alden #8 of 9 for 8th work day in a row. I have realised the only way I can wear all the pair of shoes and boots is to go brand by brand. Saving the best 2 Aldens for last.

Ravello Shell Indys for today.
20230308_105502.jpg
20230308_122921.jpg
20230308_122932.jpg
20230308_123001.jpg

Last edited:

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so what is Leffot really doing for its 15 year anniversary? the loafers are nice but i imagine they have something a little more special going for its big-time customers

DG123

Reaction score
Maybe, we don’t know. I’m certainly aware of the accusation. Not at all in my experience though. Alden rare shell is way way way harder to get. I mean, if anyone is artificially scarcifying (probably not a word) here it’s Alden brown shell. That’s why at a thousand a pop, I’m like aww hell naw, I can get way more dopamine over here with a lot less work. My kids gonna want a hype watch or ten pair of shoes when I’m gone? Love Alden, but I think they can be normalizing at least one brown shell boot, loafer, blucher and oxford. Brown ain’t rare! Say it with me.
There is no "artificial scarcity" happening. Both Rolex and Alden facilities are producing their maximum output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics