• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions that I thought might get some good answers here:

1)What is the preference between speed hooks and normal lace holes on boots? I have speed hooks on my black shell "U-tips" and was wondering how common loose speed hooks are. Aesthetically, I like the look of the speed hooks and functionally I don't mind them either.

2) What makes reverse chamois such a great material for boots in inclement weather? Seems like a lot of people love the material on boots. I personally do not think I have ever owned a shoe or piece of garment that was "reverse chamois", so I'm not familiar with it's texture or properties.

Thanks!

It is an oiled leather and quite weather resistant. It feels damp to the touch and cool. Others will know more about it, but I have two pairs in the material and I love it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1)What is the preference between speed hooks and normal lace holes on boots? I have speed hooks on my black shell "U-tips" and was wondering how common loose speed hooks are. Aesthetically, I like the look of the speed hooks and functionally I don't mind them either.

2) What makes reverse chamois such a great material for boots in inclement weather? Seems like a lot of people love the material on boots. I personally do not think I have ever owned a shoe or piece of garment that was "reverse chamois", so I'm not familiar with it's texture or properties.

Thanks!
I can only speak from my experience, so here goes:
1) I have never had a "loose" speed hook, have had a few that needed minor adjustment with a pair of pliers to get them right, but at least on Aldens, I have not had a problem with hooks (can't say that for AE). I like the slightly more casual look of hooks on boots, and they are faster to lace up :)
2) reverse chamois just seems damn near invincible, doesn't show water spots, seems to dry quickly, and has a nice "rugged" appearance.
I'm sure there will be better answers forthcoming from other members, but that's my take.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
1. I prefer speed hooks in every boot. Even in dressy boots. I wasn’t bias at first of speed hooks when I first ventured into boots, but after some time I began to realize it was much more hassle-free and convenient when taking off a pair of boots that have speed hooks opposed to all eyelets. It isn’t necessarily a deal breaker when shopping for boots, but the top eyelets will eventually get swapped for hooks.

2. I have no experience with reverse chamois yet, but I definitely want a pair in reverse chamois. I love the texture on it. I should mention that I love leathers w/ texture and grain.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. I prefer speed hooks in every boot. Even in dressy boots. I wasn’t bias at first of speed hooks when I first ventured into boots, but after some time I began to realize it was much more hassle-free and convenient when taking off a pair of boots that have speed hooks opposed to all eyelets. It isn’t necessarily a deal breaker when shopping for boots, but the top eyelets will eventually get swapped for hooks.

2. I have no experience with reverse chamois yet, but I definitely want a pair in reverse chamois. I love the texture on it. I should mention that I love leathers w/ texture and grain.
Speed hooks do make it easier to take off, put on boots, but not a total deal breaker as far as makeups go. I prefer speed hooks, but have a few pair with all eyelets, and there is something about taking time/lacing to make sure things are correct. I once read here "we spend a lot of money on these boots, so we should enjoy the lacing"

lcdx22

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of the Alden slip-on chukkas ("Traveler") they can share pictures of here? I've seen them pop up in a few places (TSM, Alden on Madison, and now Leffot too - here's a link to TSM's version) but I've only seen one review over on Reddit. I'm weirdly tempted by these but wonder if that's just cabin fever setting in...

Paging @madhat I believe he has a pair. Forgot if it was just the plaza slipper loafer or if he also has a pair of slip on chukkas.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Captures it perfectly for me.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of the Alden slip-on chukkas ("Traveler") they can share pictures of here? I've seen them pop up in a few places (TSM, Alden on Madison, and now Leffot too - here's a link to TSM's version) but I've only seen one review over on Reddit. I'm weirdly tempted by these but wonder if that's just cabin fever setting in...
Paging @madhat I believe he has a pair. Forgot if it was just the plaza slipper loafer or if he also has a pair of slip on chukkas.
Had to pull out my previous phone, and still didn't have a great pic! These are B+M plaza variant.
20190614_103524.jpg
IMG_20200724_075408__01.jpg

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Had to pull out my previous phone, and still didn't have a great pic! These are B+M plaza variant. View attachment 1485794 View attachment 1485795
Those look great! Are they comfortable? Do you often reach for them, or are they special use / do they take some planning to wear?

I find myself gravitating towards slip-ons in this age of nothing mattering - loafers and boat shoes mostly. Hoping this could fill a gap as an in between dressy and casual shoe (I’d go for Color 8).

thanks!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look great! Are they comfortable? Do you often reach for them, or are they special use / do they take some planning to wear?

I find myself gravitating towards slip-ons in this age of nothing mattering - loafers and boat shoes mostly. Hoping this could fill a gap as an in between dressy and casual shoe (I’d go for Color 8).

thanks!
They fit like my other plaza lasted shoes and so are comfortable, but I could see someone with a really high instep having problems wearing. I don’t know about the Aberdeen models (that last didn’t work well for me).
Asking about wear with me is a loaded question...I have 30+ pairs in my summer rotation (chukkas leaves my ankles cold in winter), so they only get worn a couple times a year. I think the #8 would be much more usable... it’s harder for me to work in the 4 pairs of black shoes I have in the summer rotation. If you like the aesthetics of them and the fit of a chukka, I think you’ll like them. They’re an odd blend of chukka and slip on, but a great place to show off rolls and a big slab a shell.
Just so you’re not surprised, the elastic is different than a typical slip on, in my opinion. It doesn’t connect the tongue/vamp to the quarters; it ties the two quarts together so that they spread out rather than tongue moving forward.
3F2B1053-9D31-4046-8BB3-BAD68228198F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads