• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
668C0769-8000-4425-AA29-011855575EB6.jpeg
Black Shell LHS, enjoying the white contrast stitching..

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
The Barrie-Half-Size-Down Fallacy - for me

As some of you may know, the Barrie is not my favorite Alden last. I have complained that there is not enough room for my small (pinky) toes and that the foot bed feels 'springy (or supportive)' just beyond the ball of my foot. My experiences in Alden shoes has lead me to confirm that I am a definitely a 9D in Plaza and 8.5D in Trubalance. So I have been trying to work with the Barrie in 8.5D and just calling it 'uncomfortable' and 'not for me'.

Last weekend while at Brick and Mortar I had the opportunity to try on the same boot on the Barrie last in 8.5D and 9D. Based on that experience I have now learned that 9D Barrie fits and the 8.5D results in the problems described above. However, even with the correct fit, comfort is no where near the Plaza or Trubalance shoes in my correct sizes.

So I guess I am one of the weird ones. I am TTS in Barrie. I'm just grateful to have an Alden store near me, and patient sales staff, so that I can figure out these esoteric issues that only we have on this forum.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in seeing more pics of the heel replacement performed by Aram. My original Indys need it pretty badly but I’m hesitant to send them anywhere.
Based on what I've heard (mainly from folks here), I'd trust Aram completely.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Alden's crepe sole soft to the touch like Clark's sole on their Wallabees/Desert Boots or is it extremely rock hard?

Also, can anyone recommend a good/cheap suede brush for a pair of tobacco suede plain toe boots? :)

Thanks!!

EDIT: Would a Large AE shoe tree be an appropriate size for a Barrie 10.5D?
I think it depends on the trees. A split-toe would probably be fine. If the solid trees run the same as the ones Woodlore makes (or used to make) for Jos. A. Bank, I find those to run large. I had to move from XL to L for my 12Ds. I'm sure Woodlore's chart is accurate. The main job of trees is to fill the vamp during recovery, and secondly to offer the anti-fungal/anti-bacterial benefits of the cedar. I'm decidedly not a fan of a lot of tension in the shoes when it comes to trees, especially when they sit for a while between wears.

If in doubt, I'd size down.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Alden's crepe sole soft to the touch like Clark's sole on their Wallabees/Desert Boots or is it extremely rock hard?

Also, can anyone recommend a good/cheap suede brush for a pair of tobacco suede plain toe boots? :)

Thanks!!

Yes to the last question. I wear Barrie 10/10.5 and use large in woodlore and AE. It doesn’t stretch and create tension but it helps a little with the shell rolls.

Last edited:

AMD500

Reaction score
I am interested in seeing more pics of the heel replacement performed by Aram. My original Indys need it pretty badly but I’m hesitant to send them anywhere.

Based on what I've heard (mainly from folks here), I'd trust Aram completely.

Bad pics. Perfect heals. Aram knows his stuff. He's actually closing up the storefront due to health issues, but will still do aldens via mail or through the alden dc store.

20190318_183815.jpg

20190318_183810.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the trees. A split-toe would probably be fine. If the solid trees run the same as the ones Woodlore makes (or used to make) for Jos. A. Bank, I find those to run large. I had to move from XL to L for my 12Ds. I'm sure Woodlore's chart is accurate. The main job of trees is to fill the vamp during recovery, and secondly to offer the anti-fungal/anti-bacterial benefits of the cedar. I'm decidedly not a fan of a lot of tension in the shoes when it comes to trees, especially when they sit for a while between wears.

If in doubt, I'd size down.

They are AE solid toe trees. The Barrie seems to run large (10.5D) and AE suggests I use a L in their 11D. I don't like too much tension, but it seems that even AE suggests an XL for 12D shoes.

Yes to the last question. I wear Barrie 10/10.5 and use large in woodlore and AE. It doesn’t stretch and create tension but it helps a little with the shell rolls.

Great, thanks. What about suede? I am worried about damaging/stretching the suede with a L whereas I am not concerned with shell.

I find it puts a bit of tension, but I think the M would just not have a large enough forefoot to help with creases.

Any experience with Alden's crepe sole?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks!!

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-c...83.html?dwvar_SF583_color=542#q=Brush&start=1
Doesn't get more cost effective than this! I know some have badger hair or something, but this one has served me well.
Crepe is crepe; it'll feel like your Clarks' soles
Yes on large trees as mentioned above

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-c...83.html?dwvar_SF583_color=542#q=Brush&start=1
Doesn't get more cost effective than this! I know some have badger hair or something, but this one has served me well.
Crepe is crepe; it'll feel like your Clarks' soles
Yes on large trees as mentioned above

WOW that is cheap LOL. Do they do free shipping anymore? I will look at that, thanks!!

OK, thank you. I just got a pair of used suede plain toe boots in and the crepe soles are ROCK hard to the touch. My Wallabees soles are squishy and pliable after many years, but these Aldens are just quite hard. Haven't walked in them much, but I don't know if I should be concerned.

Thanks, I will carry on with my L trees :)

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
The Barrie-Half-Size-Down Fallacy - for me

As some of you may know, the Barrie is not my favorite Alden last. I have complained that there is not enough room for my small (pinky) toes and that the foot bed feels 'springy (or supportive)' just beyond the ball of my foot. My experiences in Alden shoes has lead me to confirm that I am a definitely a 9D in Plaza and 8.5D in Trubalance. So I have been trying to work with the Barrie in 8.5D and just calling it 'uncomfortable' and 'not for me'.

Last weekend while at Brick and Mortar I had the opportunity to try on the same boot on the Barrie last in 8.5D and 9D. Based on that experience I have now learned that 9D Barrie fits and the 8.5D results in the problems described above. However, even with the correct fit, comfort is no where near the Plaza or Trubalance shoes in my correct sizes.

So I guess I am one of the weird ones. I am TTS in Barrie. I'm just grateful to have an Alden store near me, and patient sales staff, so that I can figure out these esoteric issues that only we have on this forum.
It’s great that you have a store close by. I too was dubious about Alden’s kinda weird sizing’s in what they call their Barrie lasted shoes. That was until I decided to listen to a man who’d been selling Alden’s for over 30yrs. He had one pair of the iconic 990’s left in the store, Hubert W. Whites in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Even though they’d been tried on by several men before me I bought them anyway because Shell Cordovan looks better when they start to roll.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!

Any good wood shoe tree will do as long as you use them after every time you wear your shoes. Your best bet is to wear your shoes to a store where they sell wood shoe trees and and try the different sizes out.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bad pics. Perfect heals. Aram knows his stuff. He's actually closing up the storefront due to health issues, but will still do aldens via mail or through the alden dc store.

View attachment 1145944

View attachment 1145945
Beautiful!!! Wonder what will happen when all the older guys, like Aram, retire or expire? Are there many, or any, young people entering the cobbler business?

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spiffster!! Long time bud! Has the snow cleared in Minnesota?? Time to tee it up!! Good to see you back...
It’s good to hear from you too sir. We’re starting to thaw a bit. I’ve been wearing these hand made hiking boots more often because of my job and the weather. Golf is at least a couple weeks away. And yet I still have the same shells you forced me into buying those many years ago.

E0653AE8-9C94-4763-BAAA-2CDFABF653DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads