• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... you didn't keep them long, but I totally understand... I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make the reverse tobacco have a place in my collection.

Is the earth a nubuck texture?

those went to hell and back!

Well the return window is short and I realized quickly they were a bit too redundant.

I think earth chamois is more nubuck like. I’ll find out Thursday.

GGMac

Reaction score
Well the return window is short and I realized quickly they were a bit too redundant.

I think earth chamois is more nubuck like. I’ll find out Thursday.

I’m really considering the earth chamois truebalance tankers from
B+M. While I think I would prefer reverse chamois I am partial to Handsewn stitching. These are competing with the Brogue cognac NST’s and the Brogue color 8 jumpers. Ideally will pick 2 of 3 but may end up with all 3.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m really considering the earth chamois truebalance tankers from
B+M. While I think I would prefer reverse chamois I am partial to Handsewn stitching. These are competing with the Brogue cognac NST’s and the Brogue color 8 jumpers. Ideally will pick 2 of 3 but may end up with all 3.

Well, the Brogue NSTs are sold out, so that narrows it down.

GGMac

Reaction score
Well, the Brogue NSTs are sold out, so that narrows it down.

Yes. This helps! I like it when decisions are taken out of my hands. The Brogue jumpers have officially been reserved but I’ll ultimately find a third or fourth shoe/boot to complicate things.

Last edited:

MMiUSA

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to try for one last week or two to sell these before I go to eBay (ugh).

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/price-drop-alden-x-j-crew-405-indy-size-11-worn-one-time.8398/

Not posting here just to spam thread, actually a heads up - if anybody in this thread finds a buyer for me at my asking price, I will paypal you $10 for a finders fee.

I know it's not a lot, but hey - free money if you know someone in this size!

Thank you, going to have to go down to a 10.5 E instead and undecided if I want to go shell or stay CXL.

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anybody help me with fitting in the TruBalance last, more specifically Indy's?
I currently only have Red Wings in no8 last to compare with. I wear 9.5D in those, and they fit me fairly well.
whitesriver seller from eBay sized me a 10C/D on White's Semi Dress last (he said that 10C would fit my foot length and ball width, but because of my instep, a 10D would be more adequate).
I contoured my feet on paper and measured them (barefoot), the length is about 11 in for both feet, while the width (parallel to the end of the sheet) is about 4 in. My feet are fairly similar, so no issues here.
I appreciate any help, and if I can provide any more information, please let me know.
Thanks

FWIW, 9D is a great fit for me in both the Iron Ranger and the Barrie/Trubalance.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Brogue. I’m probably not telling anyone anything they don’t already know but it seems like Brogue has some new make-ups on their website. Just in case though.

And now I’ll opine a bit. The Ram Medallion Suede Blucher is cool. I suppose an alternative to the AoC Atom. However I’ll say I like the Atom more FWIW.

The Jungle Boot is probably my favorite of the new models but not necessarily super unique. I do like the extra stitching. Maybe the model would stand out more if it was contrast stitching.

The Tatooist on the other hand is quite unique but IMO a swing and a miss. For those with an appetite to be different it might be the ticket. I just think that mixing black with navy on a shoe really limits its utility. But hey that’s just me.

It appears that the fan favorite is that Cognac Tanker, but I’d probably prefer a CXL or suede variant to calf. Different strokes.

Probably my favorites that they offer are the Hunting Green V-Tip, Terranova, Harvey, and San Cosmo. I’d probably be lusting after the San Cosmo even more if it was on a commando sole. But in general I really like their exclusive models. Very creative.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Reverse Chamios Tobacco Indy's, wore mime tonight.

20180310_231330.jpg

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually wish there were more Alden models that I didn’t like. Those are great.

Thanks, they've quickly become a favorite casual boot. Can't wait for my Snuff Suede pair next week. I have a couple AE's on ebay that will be another Alden suede boot in a week or two, assuming it's still available then.

macher

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking to upgrade my next boot purchase from Red Wing heritage to a pair of Alden Indy’s. I really like the Natural CXL with a commando sole and 360 welt. Most of the makeup’s I see don’t have the 360 welt. There’s one makeup that has the 360 but an all terrain sole.

https://www.aldenofcarmel.com/alden...cel-all-terrain-indy-boot_589.htm?style=Boots

Don’t know the all terrain sole doesn’t seem to jive. A commando sole for me is less profile.

Any place to get a 360 welt in natural CXL with a commando sole? Once I looked at the 360 welt I like it better than the 270.

I tried on a pair of 404’s in a store in Philly and they immediately felt like butter on my feet. I also sort of like that style because it’s more outdoorsy. I think the all terrain sole jives with the 404 more. But again I might prefer natural CXL with a commando and 360 welt.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking to upgrade my next boot purchase from Red Wing heritage to a pair of Alden Indy’s. I really like the Natural CXL with a commando sole and 360 welt. Most of the makeup’s I see don’t have the 360 welt. There’s one makeup that has the 360 but an all terrain sole.

https://www.aldenofcarmel.com/alden...cel-all-terrain-indy-boot_589.htm?style=Boots

Don’t know the all terrain sole doesn’t seem to jive. A commando sole for me is less profile.

Any place to get a 360 welt in natural CXL with a commando sole? Once I looked at the 360 welt I like it better than the 270.

I tried on a pair of 404’s in a store in Philly and they immediately felt like butter on my feet. I also sort of like that style because it’s more outdoorsy. I think the all terrain sole jives with the 404 more. But again I might prefer natural CXL with a commando and 360 welt.

Thanks!

Pretty sure Brick & Mortar has exactly what you’re looking for. They’re low in sizes at the moment though.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably my favorites that they offer are the Hunting Green V-Tip, Terranova, Harvey, and San Cosmo. I’d probably be lusting after the San Cosmo even more if it was on a commando sole. But in general I really like their exclusive models. Very creative.

Like the tan country calf Indys, I felt similarly but it didn’t stop me from purchasing and loving them.
EAD128B4-C3C2-4308-89F0-BDA40F9A0033.jpeg
3304D2BD-BBD0-40FB-B540-838D1D187FEF.jpeg
165589E6-0BF7-4CD8-8E7E-A705BC9BE1E5.jpeg
C6CE2675-A68F-4001-B6AC-6829666E4D23.jpeg

Speaking of Reverse Chamios Tobacco Indy's, wore mime tonight.

View attachment 939211

Beautiful! I know I already miss my pair . . . I just had other gaps to fill at the moment. Btw, I love the oily smell of the reverse chamois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads