• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How long were you guys on the list for the ravello CTB?

About 2.5 years for me. I haven't been in this game as long as some of the vets but I remember about 3 years ago when I had been in the shoe game for about 6 months, having a pair of whiskey wingtip boots from TSM and the ravello cap's and deciding which one's to keep. I didn't really understand my alden sizing and both boots were 1/2 size bigger than I wear. Both were wearable but I came by them so easily that I figured I'd grab the right size on the next run. I have regretted that decision ever since. Glad I was fortunate enough to grab these on this run. There are some really amazing shoes/Boots but if I had my pick of anything I've ever seen, it would be the ravello cap's. For me, it is truly the perfect pair of footwear.

Somewhat related, the really strange thing is for the first few years of this addictive obsession, I thought the cigar shade and the indy style were very overrated. Now, my 2nd grail would be a cigar Indy. Go figure.

Codysch123

Reaction score

About 2.5 years for me. I haven't been in this game as long as some of the vets but I remember about 3 years ago when I had been in the shoe game for about 6 months, having a pair of whiskey wingtip boots from TSM and the ravello cap's and deciding which one's to keep. I didn't really understand my alden sizing and both boots were 1/2 size bigger than I wear. Both were wearable but I came by them so easily that I figured I'd grab the right size on the next run. I have regretted that decision ever since. Glad I was fortunate enough to grab these on this run. There are some really amazing shoes/Boots but if I had my pick of anything I've ever seen, it would be the ravello cap's. For me, it is truly the perfect pair of footwear.

Somewhat related, the really strange thing is for the first few years of this addictive obsession, I thought the cigar shade and the indy style were very overrated. Now, my 2nd grail would be a cigar Indy. Go figure.

I agree with you 100% on the Ravello Cap Toes being perfect! I've only been addicted to Aldens for one year. Yenni and Alden of Madison have been my go-to dealers. 8 pairs on the shelf so far, but I only recently stumbled upon my first rare shell. AoM had a single pair of Cigar 9084s, in my size, on hand! (at the same time, I foolishly passed on a pair of Whiskey LWBs. When I came to my senses and decided to buy both, the Whiskey was gone!). Now that the Alden addiction has progressed to a thirst for rare shell, I suppose I better call Kathy about those Ravello CTBs soon!
BTW... You may be interested.... I saw some excellent Cigar Indy Boots for sale on Grailed. They are spendy though!

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with you 100% on the Ravello Cap Toes being perfect! I've only been addicted to Aldens for one year. Yenni and Alden of Madison have been my go-to dealers. 8 pairs on the shelf so far, but I only recently stumbled upon my first rare shell. AoM had a single pair of Cigar 9084s, in my size, on hand! (at the same time, I foolishly passed on a pair of Whiskey LWBs. When I came to my senses and decided to buy both, the Whiskey was gone!). Now that the Alden addiction has progressed to a thirst for rare shell, I suppose I better call Kathy about those Ravello CTBs soon!
BTW... You may be interested.... I saw some excellent Cigar Indy Boots for sale on Grailed. They are spendy though!

Wow, that is intriguing. They look like trubalance so a 9D would be 1/2 size too large. Honestly at this point $1,500 would not be a deal-breaker for me. Spending $500 for a pair of shoes was obscene to me. Once i got beyond that, it became a matter of affordability versus logic and reason. As a shoe lover, for an opportunity to get a grail, I'd drop $1,500. Fortunately due to the size, its not a decision i need to make. But thanks for the heads-up. I definitely appreciate it.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tricker's and Switch is where it's at.

excellent pairing!

A little Fallout 4 tonight before heading to moms for some pizza gaina

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious to get a couple thoughts on this, am looking to pick up an "everyday" WTB. Choosing btw: Shell 8 (AoC), Snuff Suede (B+M) and the little discussed Burnished Tan Calfskin (also B+M).  any opinions? open to other thoughts as well.  
-jk

I believe the burnished tan to be the most versatile choice here. I have both the snuff and the color 8 (see below). The snuff skews super casual and the color 8 more dressy.

The burnished tan cAn pull off double duty, as it's a dressy leather, but in a more casual color.

You really can't go wrong with any of those three TBH

TommyB

Reaction score

I've been on the list for somewhere between two and three years and before this batch I was number seven out of 13 for my size (9.5D). So I expect I'll have to wait for quite some years.

Last edited:

MT1982

Reaction score

I put my name on the list for both the Cigar and Ravello boots at the same time. Took about 2 years, but I finally got my Cigars sometime last year. Still on the list for Ravello so it'll probably be another 2+ years or some such before I get those.

Last edited:

LanceM

Reaction score

I've been on the list for somewhere between two and three years and before this batch I was number seven out of 13 for my size (9.5D). So I expect I'll have to wait for quite some years.

Thanks for the input. I was put on the list earlier this year, so I'll try to patiently wait till I get the call.

DRAGUI99

Reaction score
My Alden LW had a very dark burgundy colour when I got them... but after 1 month and a lot of exposure under the sun, things have evolved nicely

A month ago

today

Last edited:

Iamleven

Reaction score

What color does this look like?

stevefok

Reaction score
My Alden LW had a very dark burgundy colour when I got them... but after 1 month and a lot of exposure under the sun, things have evolved nicely

A month ago

today

Wow! Thanks for sharing!! Guess I should do the same with my new #8 Tassels!!

What color does this look like?

Those should be Ravello. Cigar and Whiskey from Alden SF are with antique sole edges.

Iamleven

Reaction score
Cool, I want see how they will look when I dye them black.

MT1982

Reaction score
Cool, I want see how they will look when I dye them black.

:( Sell them and buy black ones. Light color Alden shell is relatively rare, you can probably get a decent amount of money for them to put towards black ones (or towards Color 8 ones that you can then dye black).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads