• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IME, all lined barrie shoes are very consistent in sizing across the different materials (i.e. shell, suede, and calf).  Exception:  Chrmxl tends to stretch much more and can fit looser than others with a bunch of wear.

I have some Natty CXL perf cap toes from JCrew and they fit more snugly than some Choco NST's I had from LeatherSoul (got rid of them).  Two different boot designs - cap toe vs NST.  And two different materials - CXL and suede.  However I still expected them to fit somewhat the same since they were both Barrie last and both size 9.  I feel like the NST's had a ton more room in them.  Even my 9.5 Grant last Cigar cap toes seem to have more room than my CXL cap toes.  Is that normal?  I recall reading in the old Alden thread (not the 2016 one, but the one before that) that JCrew's just tend to fight tighter?  I've only ever tried on four pairs of Aldens - the two I currently own, the Choco Tankers, and a pair of suede cap toes from Frans Boone in Grant last.  So I don't have any other perf cap toe experience on the Barrie to compare to my JCrews.  

The JCrews fit like a glove.  Love 'em.  

Not sure what to tell you. It may be that the JCrew Perf CT boot on Barrie tends to be a more snug fit than other Barrie boots and shoes. I own two pairs of J Crew LWBs on Barrie and they fit the same as my other Barrie shoes and boots. The J Crew color 8 pct boots are definitely more snug. Maybe their Chrmxl version is built the same way/ same last??

Last edited:

katch

Reaction score

Instead of posting a ton of pictures here, I will just inform you all that I have posted up a slew of my recent acquisitions up on my AoSD blog... They can be found here:
http://aldenofsandiego.com/category/thoughts-and-blog/new-additions/

This includes the:
Color #8 LHS
Whiskey Monk
Black Shell George Boot
Snuff Suede Tassel
Navy Suede Tassel
Cigar Semi-Brogue
Cigar PTBs
Whiskey LHS

I still have several more to post all of my pictures up on, but will keep working on it here shortly...

Cheers,
Mike

I said god damn god damn.

shunted22

Reaction score

Talk about kizmit!

I placed a pre-order for the hunter green suede blucher with Unionmade last spring. I am well aware of the Alden waiting game but for about a month I had been meaning to send off an email to them asking about the status of these. I finally got around to emailing them today and low and behold they just received the shoes yesterday and were in the process of contacting those who had pre-ordered! So hopefully they will be on my feet in just a few days.

I don't have any green suede so I am definitely looking forward to receiving these! :slayer:

Thanks, on the same preorder and was wondering. They haven't contacted me yet. Looking forward to these, it was neck and neck between them and the B&M green LWBs.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Instead of posting a ton of pictures here, I will just inform you all that I have posted up a slew of my recent acquisitions up on my AoSD blog... They can be found here:
http://aldenofsandiego.com/category/thoughts-and-blog/new-additions/

This includes the:
Color #8 LHS
Whiskey Monk
Black Shell George Boot
Snuff Suede Tassel
Navy Suede Tassel
Cigar Semi-Brogue
Cigar PTBs
Whiskey LHS

I still have several more to post all of my pictures up on, but will keep working on it here shortly...

Cheers,
Mike

Just put up the following:

Navy CXL WT Boot
Color #8 Plaza Saddle
Color #8 Aberdeen NST Boot
Color #8 6-Eyelet NST Chukka Boot
Black Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boots
Whiskey PTB
Cigar NST Blucher

And doing the last one that I haven't posted yet... the Raven Ryden.

-Mike

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret recently selling my whiskey lwb, especially after seeing those pics above

will have to grab a pair again in the future

Last edited:

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Texas, those look very good. Its a nice combination with the Green Suede and Brass Eyelets.

-Mike

Thank you Mike! I don't really own many green shoes but wear green and navy together a lot. I thought it was different.

Codysch123

Reaction score
Hello Gents. I'm hoping I didn't damage my shell Cordovan. This is my first pair. I'm looking for some reassurance or advice.
Earlier today I splashed some rain on the shoe. I figured it was not a big deal. I wiped it away with a towel once I got to work. Later I noticed a small dark spot remained. Once I got home I brushed and buffed the spot. Now I have this smudge. If you look close, the dark spot is still there in the center of the smudge. I haven't used any oils, waxes, or cleaners. I'm hoping I've just buffed away a small patch of the original wax coat and need to re-apply wax. Is this normal? Thanks for helping.

Last edited:

prez

Reaction score

Them boots are very nice.

I thought that Trubalance boots were wider than Barrie and that the immediate left boot was TB!

The Barrie looks significantly wider than the TB.

You are totally right. The picture is slightly deceiving as I haven't written the sizes.
I am 10.5 C tts. The last 2 boots, Plaza and modified are 10.5 C.
Barrie is 10 D while trubalance I ordered in 10 B. That explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads