• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everything with a reverse split welt does for sure - the GS shoes I showed above definitely have them, but they're done very carefully and well.  I swear it seems like Alden has a guy who has been doing that part of the build for 35 years and maybe it is time for him to find a different job in the process.  Maybe it is a reflection of the volume pressure they have, but of the premium makers Alden seems to have that issue more consistently than any.  I see it here and there in AE, but not as much.

All of that isn't data, but I'd take enough anecdotal notice of it if I were running Alden or AE to see what could be done to improve.

Anyway, what @mraza
 has in his hands are keepers IMHO. 

Yeah, it is what it is. I do appreciate how other makers like Carmina and Bonafe finish the welt join over with wax polish to smooth it out. Not perfect, but very presentable:

bkdc

Reaction score
shell #8 plain toe boot on trubalance
yes sir
I love that boot. My favorite Alden shell cordovan boot.

Does anyone have recommendations on who would be able to install metal eyelets in my boot?

Last edited:

djbanor

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations on who would be able to install metal eyelets in my boot?

Off the top of my head:

B. Nelson will do it for $5 per eyelet.
Randy the Cobbler is well known for this service as well.
You might also try AH One shoes in VA.
The Brogue Shop in Menlo Park, CA, used to do Alden customizations. You can contact them to ask.

diyman5757

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought these shoes pre-owned. Only advertised as leather. I wonder if you can answer these questions.

Can you tell from the model # if it is calfskin or shell ? Also although 9BD is my exact size. I do now know that the last makes a huge difference. So the next question how much can they stretch in width? Is this Cigar color ? Sorry for all the questions....As I mentioned in other posts unfortunately the modified last is the best fit.

idonotmatch

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought these shoes pre-owned. Only advertised as leather. I wonder if you can answer these questions

Can you tell from the model # if it is calfskin or shell ? Also although 9BD is my exact size. I do now know that the last makes a huge difference. So the next question how much can they stretch in width? Is this Cigar color ? Sorry for all the questions....As I mentioned in other posts unfortunately the modified last is the best fit.

Congrats on the pickup. Those are Dark Brown Calfskin and the shoes were made on the Hampton last. Hampton tends to run on the narrow end, and with the calfskin, I would not bet on them stretching an exorbitant amount from where they're at today.

Last edited:

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought these shoes pre-owned. Only advertised as leather. I wonder if you can answer these questions.

Based on the creasing, these are definitely calf. They'll stretch more than shell, but may have already been stretched, depending on the previous owner's use.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought these shoes pre-owned. Only advertised as leather. I wonder if you can answer t
hese questions.

Dark Brown Calfskin, Hampton Last. Manufactured in 2007. It's calf, so it can stretch.

https://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=37&ParentID=3&PageID=&Action=

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads