• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyB

Reaction score

For the boots, I would probably lean toward plaza.  But for shoes, I think the aberdeen last is awesome for the NST.

It's funny how preferences change. I used to think that the split seem on the Aberdeen NST boots were too long, and then I finally wore my pair and fell in love. Extremely comfortable on my feet, too. Also saw a pair of WT boots on Aberdeen on AoC's Instagram
account and they looked great.

But you have a good point, I love Plaza-lasted boots too, don't think you can go wrong with any of those two lasts.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cigar NST blucher coming in Aberdeen, so I don't think I need an Aberdeen NST boot. A dark edge Plaza or Barrie NST could work... Also a Barrie wingtip boot.

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will Alden replace the entire leather footbed in recrafting. The tiny heel pad replacement is nice but I want a new leather footbead.. Anyone?

rbf1138

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Alden's, the J. Crew longwings in tobacco. I know these may be novice questions...but I want to do things "right!" I already own Saphir Renovateur; can I just go ahead and apply a coat of that before wearing? Any other maintenance I should do in these early days?

Second, any preferred way of lacing these?

Lastly, any suggestions on a good matching belt, preferably one that wont break the bank? Would any one of these be particularly better than another?
http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/accessories/products/mens-dress-belt-caramel-calfskin

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/belts/PRDOVR~E3145/E3145.jsp?color_name=english-tan

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/fa...F96630.html?dwvar_SF96630_color=96636#start=1 (in chili)

Some pictures, for good measure:

This is probably just my OCD talking, and I'm sure these shoes vary from year to year and even pair to pair, but does the black along the edge and the darkness on the heel look alright to you guys? A lot of pictures in google image search, including the one on J Crew's website, show a lighter, matching heel color (https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp). I ordered these last week, and they were (and still are) on back order till July 11, but they shipped last week so I'm just curious if you think they were factory seconds they or something...

Thank you!

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 new boots from Leffot, the natural CXL wingtip and the color 8 naval boot.

Although I don't have a natural CXL boot, I do have natural CXL longwings and brown CXL nst boots. Also have snuff shortwing boots on plaza and reverse chamois shortwing boots.

I don't have a color 8 boot, but do have color 8 tassels and monks. Also have cigar captoe boots from DC and have color 8 NST boots on plaza on preorder.

Thoughts?

That is tough, both of those are great and beautiful boots. Personally, I would go for Shell anyday over CXL, but that is just me. The Color 8 Naval is pretty stinking close to the DC Cigar CT Boots. Considering that, I would probably go for the Natty CXL WTs.

Too hot for boots? Probably, but I am indoors all day today. Cigar CT from AoM (Barrie)...

Those look stunning and you wear them very well Repp! Enjoy your Boots!

Hi guys, first time posting in this thread.

I just picked up my first pair of shell Aldens and wanted to ask your opinion on their condition. Both shoes are pretty uneven in color and they both have what looks like dye stains on the lining and sole. Is that normal? Never seen anything like it. They are also way more purple than my other color 8 shoes that are more red/black-ish.

Got them for a good price on eBay so I don't mind the stains, just wondering if I managed to buy home dyed fake Aldens or something..

Those sound like keepers to me. That doesn't look too abnormal for Alden staining. The tongue must have not fully dried when it bumped the lining.

Just got my first pair of Alden's, the J. Crew longwings in tobacco. I know these may be novice questions...but I want to do things "right!" I already own Saphir Renovateur; can I just go ahead and apply a coat of that before wearing? Any other maintenance I should do in these early days?

Second, any preferred way of lacing these?

Lastly, any suggestions on a good matching belt, preferably one that wont break the bank? Would any one of these be particularly better than another?
http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/accessories/products/mens-dress-belt-caramel-calfskin

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/belts/PRDOVR~E3145/E3145.jsp?color_name=english-tan

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/fa...F96630.html?dwvar_SF96630_color=96636#start=1 (in chili)

Some pictures, for good measure:

Thank you!

I would look to others to give you care tips, I really don't own any calf shoes anymore. I generically followed the Allen Edmonds care for calf back in the day... Buff, Leather Condition, Brush, Buff, Polish, Brush, Buff.

I do what is called the European Straight Bar lacing on all of my shoes. I like the look and its easy to tie compared to straight bar lacing.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

Any of those belts would be good, personally, I would support Mike @ Epaulet.

-Mike

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score

That is tough, both of those are great and beautiful boots. Personally, I would go for Shell anyday over CXL, but that is just me. The Color 8 Naval is pretty stinking close to the DC Cigar CT Boots. Considering that, I would probably go for the Natty CXL WTs.

Surprise, surprise. The guy with the ungodly shell collection and what seems to be first dibs on every rare shell release from every vendor prefers cordovan to CXL. :p

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprise, surprise. The guy with the ungodly shell collection and what seems to be first dibs on every rare shell release from every vendor prefers cordovan to CXL. :p

Each leather has its best use. Dubsy works in a professional office environment and may have less use for a more casual, rugged leather like CXL. Although I do know he has two or three pairs ;)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Each leather has its best use. Dubsy works in a professional office environment and may have less use for a more casual, rugged leather like CXL. Although I do know he has two or three pairs ;)

I have three pairs of CXL, technically four if you count the pair out of my rotation for sale, but I have a Natty LWB, Brown Ultimate Indy, and fresh in box from last Thursday Plaza Navy Wingtip.

Ha, as pepper said, business rules make Shell much more appealing to me. I have to wear slacks most days and I prefer the formality of Shell with slacks.

-Mike

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday! Alden Color 8 Wingtip Balmorals (974) on the Tremont Last. Navy Argyles. Epaulet Navy Windowpane Trousers.

-Mike
Thanks for the recent nice words regarding my cigar boots and whiskey LWBs. You wear your 974 exceptionally well. Though the Tremont last is a little odd to size, I think this model is extremely underrated; great model. Enjoy ALL of your Aldens often and in the best of health my friend!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks for the recent nice words regarding my cigar boots and whiskey LWBs. You wear your 974 exceptionally well. Though the Tremont last is a little odd to size, I think this model is extremely underrated; great model. Enjoy ALL of your Aldens often and in the best of health my friend!

Ha, thanks Repp. Yeah, the Tremont is an interesting last and its not used too frequently. The Atom and this Shortwing Balmoral (and its variants) are the models that come to mind.

Thanks and I will enjoy them all!

-Mike

andiandi

Reaction score
****! What have I done???

My oldest workhorse Ravello PTBs After a little Reno/Deerbone treatment.
Is there a way to remove the Black stains?
:-(

sansimeon

Reaction score
I think you picked up a nice pair of wingtip bluchers. I have a pair of similar shortwing bluchers on commando/barrie that have some color 8 splatter on the inside lining. They too have some awkward splotching of dye on the vamp. It is very difficult to see unless you're looking for it under bright light. Not terribly happy with it, but I don't really notice it. In fact I didn't notice the splotchiness on the vamp until someone here mentioned it on the exact same shoe. Still love it... (You can see the splotchy spot on the vamp in this first pic)

Those sound like keepers to me. That doesn't look too abnormal for Alden staining. The tongue must have not fully dried when it bumped the lining.

-Mike

Thanks guys! Wasn't sure if Alden did any further coloring on cordovan, hence the question.

PS Prepster that is a beautiful shoe! Will post some better pics of mine after brushing out the shell bloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads