• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyB

Reaction score

Awesome! This looks soo nice! "brassify" - how does this work? Let the cobber do it or is there another "easier" way?

My plan is to take them to my cobbler and have them replace the original eyelets and hooks with brass ones.

randylahey6843

Reaction score
I don't think everyone here realized that those are pebble grain shell.
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch it or not. They are one of my favorites, and a total pair of neck breakers when worn around anyone "in the know".

In Amsterdam I wore them to Sir Max, the fellow working stopped me and called his other two partners in from lunch to check them out. I ended up hanging in the store for like 1 1/2 hour BSing talking about shoes etc. I even went back the next day to chat some more. (and ship home some shoes) Now Sir Max is one of my favorite stores. Period. Great bunch of guys. I make sure to stop in to say hello any time I am in the Dam. Fun times.

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Wow nice collection! Really like those chukkas. How old are those?

The Cigar, I think late 08 or 09. I was in NYC a lot those years and some of the trips are kind of hazy.

The Ravello I would say 09 but I really can not remember 100%. For sure pre fall 2010, I started a company and that has been eating into my shoe budget, well that and an engineer boot lust. Anyone fill in the gaps? I am sure if got on the google and did some digging I could piece it all back together. But I really don't like to live in the past...says the guy who collects vintage "stuff". Thanks for the interest have a great day.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch it or not. They are one of my favorites, and a total pair of neck breakers when worn around anyone "in the know".
Dude - you're in *the* Alden thread. Some of these cats amaze me with their degree of knowledge...

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Dude - you're in *the* Alden thread. Some of these cats amaze me with their degree of knowledge...
Yep, I know where I am at. I was being a wisenheimer ;) Sometimes tone does not relay online. I should know better. My bad. I thought the "" were a signal to let everyone know I was kidding around. No disrespect.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I was too (hence the emphasis), so we're in the same boat. Those are some seriously cool shoes :)

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0692_zpsyefn0icf.jpg

image1_zps2mwd43dz.jpg

Happy Friday!

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@watchman1 shoes and trousers are outstanding! PTBs are starting to become one of my favorites simply for how vesatile they are.

danielyam

Reaction score
could anyone help me with the Alden sizing for Barrie and Grant?

I wear a size 41 for Vass F Last (G-width)

Are there any recommended store which most of you purchase your Aldens from? I am looking for my first pair.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could anyone help me with the Alden sizing for Barrie and Grant?

I wear a size 41 for Vass F Last (G-width)

Are there any recommended store which most of you purchase your Aldens from? I am looking for my first pair.

Hmmm... Are you in the US? Do you know your Brannock size? Any other shoes you have (that fit you well) you can share your sizing on?
As for where to buy, that has a lot of variables, too. Is there a speciifc shoe/leather/makeup you've got in mind?
There is a LOT of great information at the beginning of this thread, too.

More information will help the excellent and knowledgeable crew here help you. Cheers!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody breakdown this model #?
If I understand the nomenclature, this is a shoe built in 2010 or 2000. I guess it could be older, but it doesn't seem like the natural CXL that these boots are apparently made from was done much back farther than that - maybe not even as far back as 2000 - there are far more knowledgeable folks here than me. Model number is 45194H, which google reports as a a CXL boot that looks like it might be a Trubalance plain-toe boot. Size is 9 D (as I'm sure you know). The 5 refers to them being the 5th pair in the batch.

If that is the pair from eBay, the look like they've got some indigo crocking and some wear, but look pretty decent. I'd probably re-heel them sooner than later.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Thank you. I was having a hard time getting the last out of the numbers.
They were from eBay. Gonna clean them up and probably send out for a commando sole. I'll wait til I have em in my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads