• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super versatile model. However I would refrain from suit use entirely. More of a chinos, jeans, tweed or casual leaning flannels.
Could make a nice trouser/sport coat look work well, but traditional worsted suit fabrics. No IMo

Thanks for the input.

RevisIsland

Reaction score

Thanks for the link. What a nice make-up; I think I like the Barrie make-up more than the standard Trubalance make-up.
They aren't listed on the Citishoes website but they posted a picture on IG a few months back. It has a hand stitched moc toe which is a great touch. 

https://instagram.com/p/9G3A2Kt9YO/

Last I checked, the CitiShoes Snuff Indy on Barrie was on sale - so your size may not be available since they are clearing them out.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Walter boots got screwed!!!!! No antique welt!! or brass eyelets

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Walter boots got screwed!!!!! No antique welt!! or brass eyelets

Yeah it sounds like Alden decided a little while back that black shell/ antique will no longer be an option. I have had that boot on my wish list for a while and even tried hard to get a spot on the EP Rydenboot, I am glad I didn't since they will now likely fall victim to a change to black welt as well.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told that these would be the
Remind me again who made this one? Are you going to reject the boot?

it is from Leffot. I have no interest in an all black boot so I will be passing on them.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happens in this case? Will Leffot return your deposit since what is delivered was not what was ordered? Or are you up a certain creek?

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Fantastic collection. Those Whiskey Balmorals are great, a really cool makeup, probably the perfect dress shoe for San Diego. :) Those Black Indys do look fantastic. Black Shell is really an amazing material and is sadly far under appreciated here. I will save my Shell Grain comments.
Those leave me nearly speechless. Adam also did a #8 Grain LWB as well if my memory serves me correctly. I have seen a very old sample of Ravello Grain before and it was glorious. Looking good in your GrainTips bro!

Thank you mdubs, I am humbled by your compliments. The shell grain patina is a beauty. Not sure if I make sense, but it is like there is another dimension to the pebble grain. Like when you see a 3D movie and you can see depth. I know it is a strange way to talk about shoes and leather, but it is the best way I can describe it. Not sure if it is illusion because of the grain or if the shell coloring is just special. (Okay I am putting the tin foil hat back into it's box and we can get back to talking about Alden's)

I will post some better pics of the Black Indy's, they are on rotation for next week and I will post some action shots and pics of the customization preformed by Role Club/Brian. I am looking forward to your/everyones thoughts already :)

You are 100% correct the Cap Toe Whiskey Balmoral would be the ideal San Diego dress shoe, they really thrive in the west coast sun ;-)

Have a great Saturday and thanks for the compliments everyone.

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like Alden decided a little while back that black shell/ antique will no longer be an option. I have had that boot on my wish list for a while and even tried hard to get a spot on the EP Rydenboot, I am glad I didn't since they will now likely fall victim to a change to black welt as well.
Who is the big brain that decided black/shell and antique welt is a no go any longer?

That is a short bus move in my book...

Is this just going to be a simple feature to drive up hype on some "special" Markups?

Is there a logistics or logical reason to the decision?

I hate it when I just imagine a clown in a corporate meeting making this call...Some jabronie making a decision just to make decisions.

I am stumped. Anyone that can enlighten me, please, chime in.

Rant over...

Last edited:

shunted22

Reaction score
Took the plunge on my first ever pair of loafers. Still not sure how I feel. Recent acquisitions had been pretty much 100% shell, so I wanted something different.

Flex from AoM

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Ravello from Thursday
Henry, your Ravello WT Boots are looking absolutely stellar. I hope that you got good use out of them on Thursday.
Who is the big brain that decided black/shell and antique welt is a no go any longer? That is a short bus move in my book... Is this just going to be a simple feature to drive up hype on some "special" Markups? Is there a logistics or logical reason to the decision? I hate it when I just imagine a clown in a corporate meeting making this call...Some jabronie making a decision just to make decisions. I am stumped. Anyone that can enlighten me, please, chime in. Rant over...
Ha! I am not sure here, but I am sure that this was a company strategic decision. I can conjure up three possibilities as to why they did this (1) maintaining the more formal style and appearance that is the Alden brand, we constantly forget that they are a company who isn't necessarily profit driven and have learned through decades of experience that sticking to the classics is what allowed them to succeed where so many others have failed, or (2) Artie flat out doesn't like it and as the owner of the company, he has that right, or (3) there could have been some production slowdowns associated with it similar to the Color 8/brass policy change, this assumes that Alden adds some sort of acrylic layer on top of their Black Shells. In an era in which they are production and material limited, avoiding waste and re-work is key to optimization. I have no empirical data to back any of these, but they all seem reasonable given my several years of learning about Alden and it's unique culture.
Took the plunge on my first ever pair of loafers. Still not sure how I feel. Recent acquisitions had been pretty much 100% shell, so I wanted something different.
Flex from AoM
Congrats on your loafers. I hope that you enjoy them greatly and that they lead to many more happy pairs. I actually love my Snuff Suede LHSes. They are super good and generic and go well with almost anything. I use my pair as my just casual evening pair, also, since my wife doesn't allow shoes in the house, I keep mine in my garage and will frequently wear them if I don't feel like re-lacing my boots/shoes.
agreed. although an eyelet change wouldnt be the end of the world. I just wouldnt want to fuss with a welt change
I have brought the whole Black Shell thing to Mike's attention last summer and he personally talked to Alden's top brass and explained that he already had a large number of excited customers who pre-ordered and paid and that these customers knew and loved Alden and understood the hand made nature of the shoes and so Alden has agreed to push the model through as originally detailed. -Mike

randylahey6843

Reaction score

Flex from AoM
Thumbs up buddy, Suede loafers looking smooth....Your risk to stray away from the shell paid off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads