• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A major advantage of a button down collar is that when worn unbuttoned the collar doesn't spread out and, instead, stays standing in place. If you don't like that look, then the button down collar is not for you.

Sane

Reaction score

A major advantage of a button down collar is that when worn unbuttoned the collar doesn't spread out and, instead, stays standing in place. If you don't like that look, then the button down collar is not for you.

Everyone's picture posted here has spread to it. I'm saying that the top button is more or less sitting right behind the button hole making it look as if it's fully buttoned.
As mentioned previously, these are new purchases and are straight out of box. So is this something that'll go away as it's broken in? Just looking to see if anyone else been in this situation.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone's picture posted here has spread to it. I'm saying that the top button is more or less sitting right behind the button hole making it look as if it's fully buttoned.
As mentioned previously, these are new purchases and are straight out of box. So is this something that'll go away as it's broken in? Just looking to see if anyone else been in this situation.

I misunderstood. Yes, the collar should break in and give you the spread you expect. It just needs to run through the wash.

Sane

Reaction score
I misunderstood. Yes, the collar should break in and give you the spread you expect. It just needs to run through the wash.

Ah, wonderful to hear! Thank you. I was quite excited to get my hands on some nice OCBDs and was becoming worried they would all need to be exchanged.

I'll post some pictures of my lovely BB Golden Fleece OCBD once it's broken in and develops a nice roll.
biggrin.gif

aaronj15

Reaction score

Received this from Lean Garments today, pretty good roll for the cheap price. Not still sure if it's going to make me throw away my good old worn out LE original oxfords though.
I just preordered an oxford from their new batch that they're doing this fall.
For less than $40 I'm not expecting too much, but the collar roll looks nice

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
E.J. Dionne with admirable collar roll:

gingham89

Reaction score
Just wondering, are there affordable OCBDs with decent collar roll out there? I know Lean Garments was mentioned here, what about more readily available, mass-market brands? I really just got into this and would like to experiment before making an investment in a Mercer and Son's or Kamakura.

bradp

Reaction score
Kama is substantially less expensive than mercer. How expensive is "affordable"?

LIMatt

Reaction score

Vintage Brooks MiUSA, bought on eBay. I have a new one from them, the roll is less pronounced.

The second picture is from Proper Kit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vintage Brooks MiUSA, bought on eBay. I have a new one from them, the roll is less pronounced.

The second picture is from Proper Kit.

Not sure how vintage. Back in the halcyon days BB shirts came without
a chest pocket unless ordered MTM.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for button down collar shirts with a nice roll/ length of collar, AND a taller collar band-- avail in USA? I'd really like to find a slim fit white buttondown, but none seem to have a decent height to the collar band to help with my longer neck and standing well under a blazer. I think my budget (to include online custom stuff, if they will make a higher collar band) is under $200

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads