• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lol thing is that #menswear shows no 'sprezz' whatsoever. Those people care too much and know too little. Fashion victims.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lol thing is that #menswear shows no 'sprezz' whatsoever. Those people care too much and know too little. Fashion victims.
When I have seen it done well on odd occasions, perhaps sometimes in Italy and rarely in London, I think 'yes!'. But I only very rarely see such success on the CM board. Somehow the fits too often appear less than the sum of their parts.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole less than the sum of the parts, now that *really* does sum it up. There is something of that in the look of people dressing #skinhead too. In outdoors stuff you often hear the saying 'all the gear, no idea' which is the same phenomenon. Aristotle's matter and form again, #menswear seems to lack an underlying form - the matter expresses nothing.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

I think these challenges are less and less interesting. And it's always the same people participating. A real fairy tale.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still no wiser! But thanks for the vote AYP and anyone else who voted.

As for 'sprezzatura' I usually find those attempts to be just gimmicks that ruin an otherwise decent outfit. Deliberately not buttoning your collar buttons - why? Don't you own a shirt with a standard collar? I asked about a bloke on CM wearing a roll necked jumper and had his shirt collars pulled up to stick out the top of the roll neck - why? I've had a go at others who haven't mastered the ability to tie a tie and keep the front blade longer. I managed this at age five! I read an interview with Brunello Cuccinelli who said he has to re-tie his tie seven or eight times each morning to achieve the right amount of nonchalance!! Tit!

And at Mr K - 'studied nonchalance' - is that phrase in itself not the epitome of an oxymoron and thus just makes a mockery of the whole thing?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still no wiser! But thanks for the vote AYP and anyone else who voted.

As for 'sprezzatura' I usually find those attempts to be just gimmicks that ruin an otherwise decent outfit. Deliberately not buttoning your collar buttons - why? Don't you own a shirt with a standard collar? I asked about a bloke on CM wearing a roll necked jumper and had his shirt collars pulled up to stick out the top of the roll neck - why? I've had a go at others who haven't mastered the ability to tie a tie and keep the front blade longer. I managed this at age five! I read an interview with Brunello Cuccinelli who said he has to re-tie his tie seven or eight times each morning to achieve the right amount of nonchalance!! Tit!

And at Mr K - 'studied nonchalance' - is that phrase in itself not the epitome of an oxymoron and thus just makes a mockery of the whole thing?

I read an interview with the famous Lino of al Bazaar who claims he always ties his tie without looking in the mirror. Anyway, it was soon time for the photographer to join them and Lino allegedly rushed straight to the nearest mirror to check his appearance!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Rod, your Roger Sterling (from Mad Men) look was nice.

Are you him ?

But speaking of 'Sprezz', the only one who has got it, as usual, is An Acute Style. His nonchalance is as natural as his elegance.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Deliberately not buttoning your collar buttons - why?

Funnily enough, that was something that marked the deliberate moving-away from strict skinhead fashion - at least in SE London - and the very swift transition via 'suedehead' to arty fashions. The first things a bloke would do would be to grow his hair and unbutton the collar buttons of the Ben Sherman. The next new shirt would not be a button-down. The next new strides would be a pair of lionels...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funnily enough, that was something that marked the deliberate moving-away from strict skinhead fashion - at least in SE London - and the very swift transition via 'suedehead' to arty fashions. The first things a bloke would do would be to grow his hair and unbutton the collar buttons of the Ben Sherman. The next new shirt would not be a button-down. The next new strides would be a pair of lionels...

And in my neck of the woods - just as you describe it MoM.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting.
I was just a very young lad in the early seventies but I remember the suede head phase. I liked it at the time (when done well) as I still do now, and for a minute probably aspired to look that cool (as soon as I got out of wearing shorts!) But in line with what you're saying, in my memory it was a transitional phase that didn't last long before lads were adopting a bit more of a glam image, with large, round collared Brutus shirts, Oxford bags and flares, centre parting hair with ear warmers, bomber jackets with long pointed collars, fat knotted ties etc. which set the tone for the rest of the seventies.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Killing time at an airport so...

unusual lining on a Thomas Pink harrington, maybe feels more a 'golf jacket'

Waxed cotton feeling green MA1 in John Lewis

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads