• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be really cool to meet you mate, if you plan to go to England next summer, let us know and we will arrange the meet up date...

PS and if you drop in Paris, let me know !

Sounds good. A meet-up would be pretty fun. As of now I'll be in London for literally one day in January or February, and Paris in February. Not sure of the dates yet. I very well might be in England in the summer, but that remains to be seen.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sounds good. A meet-up would be pretty fun. As of now I'll be in London for literally one day in January or February, and Paris in February. Not sure of the dates yet. I very well might be in England in the summer, but that remains to be seen.

What about a first Look Goes On/Mod To Suedehead Paris meet-up in February ? I know Cerneabbas is interested, and MoM and Browniecj were thinking about a Paris trip in 2017 (well maybe not in February - could be damn cold here - but with the global warming the cold Paris winters are not like they used to be), and maybe Mr K might be interested as well ? (the next Winter sales last until february the 14th) … Matt let us know your dates ASAP ...

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across Feastupon wholesale shoes online,they have a range of Barker shoes including the Nairn (plain) and the Grassington (brogue ) for £62 and £64.
Now as I cant find either style for less than £265 anywhere else whats the catch ?

The last few weeks have been very humid here and the Madras shirts that I bought from Lands End have been ideal, they are sold out in large now but I hope they keep the same style collar next year and I will get another one.
Finally got round to looking at the website, which I had never heard of before.

Cooling down now so I'm looking around for some autumn footwear. Not sure about that site somehow - as you say where's the catch? I couldn't find much of a description of the items but no worse in that way than some 'pukka' sites.

I am moving towards some low-rise Chelsea boots a little higher than the Clarks x V&A 'Swixty Step' that I bought in the spring, which incidentally are very comfortable and wearing well considering the very modest £110 price tag. So may go for some other Hardy Amies-inspired design from Clarks.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a first Look Goes On/Mod To Suedehead Paris meet-up in February ? I know Cerneabbas is interested, and MoM and Browniecj were thinking about a Paris trip in 2017 (well maybe not in February - could be damn cold here - but with the global warming the cold Paris winters are not like they used to be), and maybe Mr K might be interested as well ? (the next Winter sales last until february the 14th) … Matt let us know your dates ASAP ...

Sounds good. I typically have very little time in any given city, but once in a while there's an exception! I sure hope that's the case with Paris.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to looking at the website, which I had never heard of before.

Cooling down now so I'm looking around for some autumn footwear. Not sure about that site somehow - as you say where's the catch? I couldn't find much of a description of the items but no worse in that way than some 'pukka' sites.

I am moving towards some low-rise Chelsea boots a little higher than the Clarks x V&A 'Swixty Step' that I bought in the spring, which incidentally are very comfortable and wearing well considering the very modest £110 price tag. So may go for some other Hardy Amies-inspired design from Clarks.

Yes I always think 'if it sounds to good to be true it probably isnt true' so I didnt bother trying my luck.

Re Chelsea boots,I had a catalogue recently from 'House of Bruar' they have some Chelsea boots that look good (in the pictures) for £99.95.
Also some 'Northampton style' shoes that look good,particuarly the Chestnut Gibsons with Dainite sole, they call them 'Bruar R.im shoes' ( an unfortunate name imo) £149.95 in the catalogue or £175 online.
I think that the Bruar shoes might be made by Berwick in Spain,supposed to be Goodyear welted...the Bruar waxy leather shoes in the pictures are Berwick 1707 labelled.

I got a nice royal blue Pima cotton RL polo a month or so back from Zee,it was well reduced ( I cant remember the exact price) I notice that they have the same shirt in grey for £37,its nice soft material with a shirt type collar rather than a normal polo collar,at half price its worth a look (imo).

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I always think 'if it sounds to good to be true it probably isnt true' so I didnt bother trying my luck.

Re Chelsea boots,I had a catalogue recently from 'House of Bruar' they have some Chelsea boots that look good (in the pictures) for £99.95.
Also some 'Northampton style' shoes that look good,particuarly the Chestnut Gibsons with Dainite sole, they call them 'Bruar R.im shoes' ( an unfortunate name imo) £149.95 in the catalogue or £175 online.
I think that the Bruar shoes might be made by Berwick in Spain,supposed to be Goodyear welted...the Bruar waxy leather shoes in the pictures are Berwick 1707 labelled.

I got a nice royal blue Pima cotton RL polo a month or so back from Zee,it was well reduced ( I cant remember the exact price) I notice that they have the same shirt in grey for £37,its nice soft material with a shirt type collar rather than a normal polo collar,at half price its worth a look (imo).

RE: House of Bruar. I've looked and looked on their website, and it all looks very enticing. I've only ordered a v-neck lambswool sweater and a tie from there, but both were nice, not exorbitantly-priced, etc.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retrieved my bedale waxed jacket from the loft, wondering if it was safe to wear again. Thinking of getting a liddesdale quilted jacket to make a pair for rain/cold, safe to wear now?

One repair so far, needs reproofing and torn cuffs repairing. Maybe hems too but not sure of the sound of a 'leatherette' repair. Bored wearing retired mountaineering-type stuff for the local walk in the woods.

(and good to see cerneabbas back)

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retrieved my bedale waxed jacket from the loft, wondering if it was safe to wear again. Thinking of getting a liddesdale quilted jacket to make a pair for rain/cold, safe to wear now?

One repair so far, needs reproofing and torn cuffs repairing. Maybe hems too but not sure of the sound of a 'leatherette' repair. Bored wearing retired mountaineering-type stuff for the local walk in the woods.

(and good to see cerneabbas back)
The Liddesdale will go on and on in my experience. Mine is about 11 years old and still as good as new - just had the sleeves shortened slightly ready for the new season.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ good to know. True to form it looks like there are now two different liddesdales, one 'classic' and one 'heritage'. Think the classic is the real one (cheaper too!), just hope the classic are still made in the UK.

Lavenham seem like a good alternative to Barbour...

https://www.lavenhamjackets.com/men/jackets/raydon-mens-1250.html

I like the imprint of the interior pocket, also the more defined edging detail

raydon-mens_c2_1_12_1.jpg

With its shorter length I could easily see a (lost) skinhead modern look adopting this, had the look been allowed to develop beyond the 80s instead of becoming mired in 'spirit of 69' archaeology.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ good to know. True to form it looks like there are now two different liddesdales, one 'classic' and one 'heritage'. Think the classic is the real one (cheaper too!), just hope the classic are still made in the UK.

Lavenham seem like a good alternative to Barbour...

https://www.lavenhamjackets.com/men/jackets/raydon-mens-1250.html

I like the imprint of the interior pocket, also the more defined edging detail

raydon-mens_c2_1_12_1.jpg

With its shorter length I could easily see a (lost) skinhead modern look adopting this, had the look been allowed to develop beyond the 80s instead of becoming mired in 'spirit of 69' archaeology.
I like the Lavenham. More expensive but, as you say, with nicer detailing.

I have looked at the Barbour website and think I still prefer the classic Liddesdale. Mine is what is now called the 'rustic' colour and I wear it quite small, not being a fan of the quited jacket as overcoat look. I think the collar, which is still generous on the current model, has got smaller over the years. Mine is pretty massive.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With you on the smaller fit. Wouldn't want it looking like Hilda Ogden's 70s housecoat.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see you have made a recent entry in the WAYWRN 25 thumb minimum composite thread.  Congrats!

Cheers. That was from last May!
There are some nice pics on that thread but it's living proof how skewed the whole 'thumbs' thing is. As far as I know that's my one and only inclusion on that thread, I'm fairly confident there's a few other pics I've posted that look better than a lot of what has made it to 25 thumbs. (Not bitter at all, honest!:D)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads