• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

kurdo

Reaction score
Compare measurements. Not rocket science.
Part of the process of course, but value opinions/experiences just as much, especially when it comes to high-end import items. Often a hassle to return if it isn't right — so I want to inform myself as well as possible :).

I am going to get RM M-65 jacket in Medium and will wait with the liner. If it isn't the right fit it'll only be half a mistake 😁.

kurdo

Reaction score
Went ahead and tried my luck on an eBay auction first. Won a "new with tags" Real McCoy's M-65 with liner for +/- 50% discount compared to the price on the official website. And don't need to worry about import fees. Can't wait to receive it :).

Edit: added pic of the coat.

Clipped_image_20240217_220601.png

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends what do you prefer.
I had RMC M65 for 4 years and sold it because I got military issued M65 by Alpha Industries from 1972 in mint condition.
Regarding comparison between the two I would say that RMC M65's body silhouette is modernized aka slimmed as well as sleeves (they are wide enough but not baggy at all), the stitching is neater done, the cotton sateen is very similar in color and touch to the original, maybe just a touch more luxurious and overall the RMC version looks and feels more like an "urban version" compared to the real thing. After 4 years of intense wear (>200 wears total) and 4 washes it still looked almost brand new. It is fantastic jacket.
However I prefer the real M65, I prefer its silhouette and overall feel when I wear it. There is something about it that even RMC couldn't replicate.
Recently rewatched Band of Brothers and wondered who made all the uniform clothing. Also made me think how versatile a M65 could be in my winter wardrobe.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Went ahead and tried my luck on an eBay auction first. Won a "new with tags" Real McCoy's M-65 with liner for +/- 50% discount compared to the price on the official website. And don't need to worry about import fees. Can't wait to receive it :).

View attachment 2133921
If this is the photo of jacket you will get then it is definitely the previous RMC M65 model (MJ9115), not the current one (MJ22107) with updated fit.

kurdo

Reaction score
If this is the photo of jacket you will get then it is definitely the previous RMC M65 model (MJ9115), not the current one (MJ22107) with updated fit.
You're correct. But that is not an issue. I've been watching older videos about M-65 jackets, so the jacket I've been most exposed to/researching is the one I'll receive :D.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Vietnam vet '67/'68 I am drop jawed amazed at the fascination with the lowly field jacket. I threw mine away when I got out and in those days the only civilians who wore them were hobos and hippies. Well I guess I was what you'd call a hippie for a number of years but no field jackets for me.

kurdo

Reaction score
As a Vietnam vet '67/'68 I am drop jawed amazed at the fascination with the lowly field jacket. I threw mine away when I got out and in those days the only civilians who wore them were hobos and hippies. Well I guess I was what you'd call a hippie for a number of years but no field jackets for me.
Always interested in hearing stories & perspectives, especially from veterans.

There is a bit more to my interest in the M-65. My father is a Peshmerga veteran — he was part of the Kurdish resistance against Saddam Hussein's regime back in the 80s and 90s. It was extremely difficult for the Kurdish resistance to get quality equipment, be it arms or accessories. Especially after the Gulf War, when the entire world embargoed Iraq — and Iraq, in turn, placed an embargo on the newly established "Kurdistan Autonomous Region" because the Kurds had allied themselves with the West. In short, there was a double embargo on a devastated and land-locked region that was also hated by all its neighbours. Products that were "American" were considered good and obviously highly sought after. And so were these "American jackets", which my father was able to source because of the business he was in.

Last edited:

LeeR

Reaction score
I will always enjoy reminding others of the time and the despicable treatment of those who answered the call. And if all it takes is wearing a jungle jacket, all the better.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a fit pic. Sorry no field Jacket, @ Christmas 1967 DaNang NCO club . LOL
IMG_0015.jpeg

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience with the Bronson MFG sweatpant sizing?

They look tempting enough to try but I don’t know much about the brand and how their stuff typically fits? The measurements aren’t super helpful unfortunately

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm just a bit younger than you (enlisted in '97) and when I arrived in Okinawa the following spring, there were still a few plain olive drab and some other weird camo pattern field jackets from the '60s and '70s floating around. I remember checking into supply and them giving me one and thinking, "What a piece of trash!" and it stayed in my wall locker untouched until I turned it back in when I checked out. I was a paper pusher so they gave us a bit older, crappier gear knowing that it wasn't going to get used but there were Motor T (aka Special Forces) on our base (infantry was all up north) and since they were actually doing stuff, they'd get slightly newer gear and they got new woodland camo patterned field jackets. Having handled a few, I don't think they were any better quality-wise.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I am slowly getting intrigued by incorporating some of the vintage military style into my wardrobe after eschewing it for years and years. Last year I decided to order an RMC M-65 and M220 Tropical Combat Coat to give them a try and I was amazed at the quality... 1000x nicer than any actual military issue stuff from the same periods that I ever handled. I ended up returning the M-65 (because I just preferred the M220) but both were really top notch.

kurdo

Reaction score

View attachment 2133921
Received this today.

Fit and quality couldn't possibly be better, very happy I went ahead with this purchase. Guess I am hooked on RMC now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads