• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have or tried on the Rickson A-2 deck jacket? I’m wondering if the lining makes it too warm for mildly cool weather. And if the lining means you should size up if you want to wear more than a tee under it.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Does anyone have or tried on the Rickson A-2 deck jacket? I’m wondering if the lining makes it too warm for mildly cool weather. And if the lining means you should size up if you want to wear more than a tee under it.
Tried it on at Hinoya in Ueno and if they had a 40 I would have bought it.That jacket is AWESOME. I am a TTS L (TTS XL in Japan). So it fits bigger and you could layer underneath.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Iron Heart only made the black oiled n1 jacket for Japan because they know the Olive will sell out and they wanted to maximize profit by leaving it for international sales only. It's a conspiracy to make more money.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried it on at Hinoya in Ueno and if they had a 40 I would have bought it.That jacket is AWESOME. I am a TTS L (TTS XL in Japan). So it fits bigger and you could layer underneath.
Super helpful! Do you know if you tried the jungle cloth or sateen version?

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Somehow in my internet searching I missed the SE has a version of it. :facepalm: I'll see if they have in the SF store and stop in. I'm thinking about the green version, but it would be nice to check out the fabric and fit.
Yeah, but try to find in JP so you can save about 40%.

zunker

Reaction score
I’m based in the Uk but making a trip to Miami this month to see family. Had hoped to check out shops selling Japanese workwear or replica clothes and shoes and similar US or Canadian brands - real McCoys, viberg, orslow, flat head etc - but Miami looks like a barren wasteland for such brands. Any suggestions?

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Any brands similar to The Real McCoy's who sell 60s-70s style Americana outerwear (think parkas, down kara korma jackets, etc)? Ideally a brand with shorter/smaller sizing (as is the case for most Japanese brands).

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any brands similar to The Real McCoy's who sell 60s-70s style Americana outerwear (think parkas, down kara korma jackets, etc)? Ideally a brand with shorter/smaller sizing (as is the case for most Japanese brands).
Buzz Rickson's?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own The Real McCoy's N-3 Utility Jacket? I am just wondering if anyone has any comment on it because I really like it but I am not 100% sure if I should go with TRMC or Buzz Rickson's. I can get Buzz Rickson's almost 30% cheaper. But I think I will go with TRMC because the olive color is nicer shade and it comes without stencils.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Featherbed for the vintage down parka repro. Jelado sometimes do some 60s-70s inspired pieces.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nigel Cabourn
Rocky Mountain Featherbed
Monitaly
Frizm Works
RRL

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resolute came out with a WWII cut - 714 - this year that looks promising for fitting. I ordered a pair from Bear' Tokyo. Will report back on fit.

Been wearing the one-wash pair I got the last two days and overall conclusion is that I like, because of all the details that draw me to Resolute in the first place and because they work for my larger frame. The leather patch is a nice upgrade after the paper patch of the 710 (period-dependent, I know).

I put them on out of the package, without any further washing. My initial impression was that the waist was too small and back rise was too low, but given they're 13.5 oz post-wash, malleable denim, they stretched immediately (like, 1 min) in both respects. I still feel the back rise is lower than ideal, but paired with the higher front rise and fuller leg it's an entirely different fit than I had with the 710, even if their measurements look similar on paper. I'd say the top block remains snug – it's definitely not billowy.

The leg is, in fact, much fuller than the 710, at least on a size 40, and the hem is noticeably wider. As a result I've been hemming (ha) and hawing over over how I feel about the hem width. I wear mine cropped to my ankle bone with a small turn-up, a la Hayashi-san, and with the wider leg this flares out a bit. However, I don't know if I'm going to have the width shortened. For one, I expect it to shrink a small amount further upon washing, and it doesn't necessarily look bad.

It's nice to have a pair of Resolutes that work for me, especially after having gone through 5 pairs of 710s before sizing out of that (and the other) models.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own The Real McCoy's N-3 Utility Jacket? I am just wondering if anyone has any comment on it because I really like it but I am not 100% sure if I should go with TRMC or Buzz Rickson's. I can get Buzz Rickson's almost 30% cheaper. But I think I will go with TRMC because the olive color is nicer shade and it comes without stencils.
I'm actually planning to pick one up when I go over there next month as I prefer no stencil as well. I would only buy at the yen price though as the mark up for what is essentially a simple cotton chore coat would be too much from a non-japanese shop. Sizing seems to be larger for tag size though so I'd look at measurements if buying/proxying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads