• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CarterH I like GATs, but never owned a pair. I'm a little like you in that I fit wonderfully well in a 1035 Viberg last.

My sneakers of choice are the Novesta Marathon and Marathon trail.

jmiller123

Reaction score
German army trainers are nice casual shoes but I think the less contrast the better.

I used to have a pair of these Epaulet GATS but constantly found myself reaching for my all white sneakers as they were easier to wear
700.jpeg

Something like the below from Reproduction of Found is easier in a variety of outfits as the suede is less pronounced-

20180729012339227_500.jpg

jmiller123

Reaction score
Also if you're looking for a canvas sneaker, don't think you can get much better than Doek. They run TTS, if you're in between sizes, go up. IE I wear an US 8.5, the 9 fits perfect.

IMG_8933_3.JPG

IMG_8921_3_1296x.JPG

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
German army trainers are nice casual shoes but I think the less contrast the better.

I used to have a pair of these Epaulet GATS but constantly found myself reaching for my all white sneakers as they were easier to wear
View attachment 1721063

Something like the below from Reproduction of Found is easier in a variety of outfits as the suede is less pronounced-

View attachment 1721065
Ever since @XWT showed me those Reproduction of Found sneakers they’ve been stuck in my head. They’re basically ideal and I don’t even like GATS

CarterH

Reaction score
@CarterH I like GATs, but never owned a pair. I'm a little like you in that I fit wonderfully well in a 1035 Viberg last.

My sneakers of choice are the Novesta Marathon and Marathon trail.

I like those, thanks!

View attachment 1721063

View attachment 1721065

I have the epaulet GATs actually, they're pretty nice but still too narrow in the toes for me. Maybe if I sized up they'd work better

I forgot about those reproduction of found ones, they look great but I presume they'd be similarly sized to the OG, which is also narrow for me

Also if you're looking for a canvas sneaker, don't think you can get much better than Doek. They run TTS, if you're in between sizes, go up. IE I wear an US 8.5, the 9 fits perfect.

View attachment 1721071
View attachment 1721072

Those look great but look like they'd be too narrow for me

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those, thanks!

I have the epaulet GATs actually, they're pretty nice but still too narrow in the toes for me. Maybe if I sized up they'd work better

I forgot about those reproduction of found ones, they look great but I presume they'd be similarly sized to the OG, which is also narrow for me

Those look great but look like they'd be too narrow for me
I have a wide forefoot like you do, and l’m sure I’ll be kicked off the forum for this, but I highly recommend a shoe that was made by Crocs called the ‘Hover’. It came in a lace up and slip on format, in leather or canvas. My favourite shoe of all time was the lace up version which was a copy of Converse All Stars.
Of course this is all past tense and they stopped making them about 6-7 years ago but I manage to snag a pair once every couple of years.

Attachments

• 00051553-5805-48FC-94BD-E3ED3417FD61.jpeg
    00051553-5805-48FC-94BD-E3ED3417FD61.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 67

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wide forefoot like you do, and l’m sure I’ll be kicked off the forum for this, but I highly recommend a shoe that was made by Crocs called the ‘Hover’. It came in a lace up and slip on format, in leather or canvas. My favourite shoe of all time was the lace up version which was a copy of Converse All Stars.
Of course this is all past tense and they stopped making them about 6-7 years ago but I manage to snag a pair once every couple of years.
Additionally, I will be tarred and feathered for saying they were superior to All Stars in every way. Light, Non Stinky, Wide Enough, and no glue used as the upper was sewn to the sole.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of GATs, I've owned a couple pair of Epaulets and a couple pairs of true milsurp, and recently bought a pair from Beckett and Simonon. The milsurps are all pretty garbage, noticeably cheaper materials but also I was able to get them for $30-50 / pair so it was fine. The Epaulet models were much higher quality and I still have a pair in rotation, but when available were pretty pricey. B&S are hitting a real sweet spot of reasonable price, very good quality, and are also available in a wide range of color/material combos. They are made to order, which means lead time of maybe 8-10 weeks, but I am definitely planning to get a new pair in the new year.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Deciding between the Iron Heart M-65 and The Real McCoy's M-65 (1st type). Anyone with any experience? I think I am a Large in both.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deciding between the Iron Heart M-65 and The Real McCoy's M-65 (1st type). Anyone with any experience? I think I am a Large in both.

I'm sure they're both quality but I find Iron Heart to be a step above in pretty much everything they make.

biabia

Reaction score

I have The Real McCoy's M-65 (1st type) and I like it. I would like it a bit longer though, so if you are in between sizes, perhaps go with the larger size. OrSlow has a similar M-65 without the epaulets this season.

I have no experience with Iron Heart but their M-65 has some noteworthy differences, specifically, the epaulets and side pockets. That may be a consideration.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
I have The Real McCoy's M-65 (1st type) and I like it. I would like it a bit longer though, so if you are in between sizes, perhaps go with the larger size. OrSlow has a similar M-65 without the epaulets this season.

I have no experience with Iron Heart but their M-65 has some noteworthy differences, specifically, the epaulets and side pockets. That may be a consideration.
it's the side pockets that are selling me. I'd get a lot of use out of them. I like the RM because it doesn't have epaulets, but I can live with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads