• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Batini
Well, I just went to LNC in China Town, to let pants waist out and hemming cost me $25. Despite I was not satisfied with a length Mr. Chit fixed everything in 30 minutes for no additional charge. I asked about re cutting pants and suit, for pants the price is about 35-50 bucks and suit approximately $50-$70.
Are you referring to a TOTAL recut at LNC? from my experience, he does not do total pant recuts - just slimming (which can be significant).

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Chiu is good. He's fast, fairly accurate and cheap.

I do not like his system of tracking clothing as he lost a pair of Mabitex trousers I brought him.

His system of writing your order on the back of a business card was doomed to fail. I did eventually get them back, but he had given them to another customer and gave me the other customers garbage trousers with a 40" waist. I noticed right away and he hunted for my trousers.

Eventually the other customer came forward, but by the time he realized the trousers were mine, Mr Chiu had opened up my 32" trousers along the back seam. He hastily sewed them back up and did not do the split yoke. I didn't need the waist altered.

He also promised to sew all my extra MOP buttons to the inside of the other ten pairs of trousers I brought him and "lost" all of them.

I think he might be getting too busy for such a small shop and I'm not sure I'll go back.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Chiu is a good tailor, but that guy provides different service and different pricing for different clients, which is pure BS in my opinion - I've seen this at least 10 different times. (I guess he gives the asian customers better pricing?? As for inequity - I observed his stash of Smoke MOP buttons that W/A was having added to his DB navy blazer and I asked for the same for a blazer of mine 5 minutes later - and Mr. Chiu said he doesnt carry them - I was thinking - WTF, you just pulled out a plastic container with them, I saw your collection, but you're gonna tell me now you dont have them? I'm curious how that conversion goes with that shirt collar W/A - it's gonna be unique, as the spread is wide)

If he doesnt like an alteration, he wont do it, which is good on his end. However, some alterations that he states are impossible I've had done by Mario Bosco in Atlanta (who charges about two to four times more for the same job)

He does fix something if it's not right though, which is good.

Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC

I do not like his system of tracking clothing as he lost a pair of Mabitex trousers I brought him.

His system of writing your order on the back of a business card was doomed to fail. I did eventually get them back, but he had given them to another customer and gave me the other customers garbage trousers with a 40" waist. I noticed right away and he hunted for my trousers.

Eventually the other customer came forward, but by the time he realized the trousers were mine, Mr Chiu had opened up my 32" trousers along the back seam. He hastily sewed them back up and did not do the split yoke. I didn't need the waist altered.

He also promised to sew all my extra MOP buttons to the inside of the other ten pairs of trousers I brought him and "lost" all of them.

I think he might be getting too busy for such a small shop and I'm not sure I'll go back.

He sounds like a clown.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
WTF. That sucks.

Yeah. First time they got one side, but not the other. Second time they got the collar right but left a huge bubble halfway down the shoulder line. Picking it this week for what I hope is the last time.

Every time I was there someone was at the counter with wide eyes asking, "How much?!"

The search goes on.

lefty

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC

those MOPs ended up on WhiteslashAsian's DB SC free or charge

redzapper

Reaction score
Chiu is a good tailor, but that guy provides different service and different pricing for different clients, which is pure BS in my opinion - I've seen this at least 10 different times. (I guess he gives the asian customers better pricing??

That is so wrong...but I'm gonna take advantage of it nevertheless
smile.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those MOPs ended up on WhiteslashAsian's DB SC free or charge

Are you sure? If so, I feel pretty bad about it. I know he's had those MOP's for a while because I've looked through his button stash several times over the last year. He did have the 2 different sizes for suit jacket and sleeves, it sounded like Flaneur had them on pants(?). If they are indeed Flaneur's buttons I can cut them off and mail them to him. I'll just source my own and get them sewn on later, no big deal.

Chiu is a good tailor, but that guy provides different service and different pricing for different clients, which is pure BS in my opinion - I've seen this at least 10 different times. (I guess he gives the asian customers better pricing?? As for inequity - I observed his stash of Smoke MOP buttons that W/A was having added to his DB navy blazer and I asked for the same for a blazer of mine 5 minutes later - and Mr. Chiu said he doesnt carry them - I was thinking - WTF, you just pulled out a plastic container with them, I saw your collection, but you're gonna tell me now you dont have them? I'm curious how that conversion goes with that shirt collar W/A - it's gonna be unique, as the spread is wide)

If he doesnt like an alteration, he wont do it, which is good on his end. However, some alterations that he states are impossible I've had done by Mario Bosco in Atlanta (who charges about two to four times more for the same job)

He does fix something if it's not right though, which is good.

I still haven't made it back to pick up my last order. It should be interesting indeed. That button down was really just an experiment. I don't particularly care for the shirt but I have others with fairly long point collars and soft interlining that would make for better BD shirts.

Also it's true that he will refuse to do alterations he doesn't like. He will not remove pleats, period. Cardelino had no trouble, although it was rather expensive iirc.

I haven't noticed the price inequity, but I guess being half Asian is a plus in that regard... Also about the buttons, I know he didn't have a lot of those smoke MOP's suitable for a jacket and I used up 6 of them with the DB....I just ask to check out his stock of buttons whenever I need them to be replaced or bring my own.

You should have said something while we were there! It was getting rather crowded and uncomfortably hot/humid....I'm going to stick with morning visits from now on. Let me know the next time you go and maybe you can get the "Associate of a Half Asian Discount"
laugh.gif

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to add post script to the above that I've been really satisfied with Mr. Chiu up until the trouser mishap. I was going to edit my post, but it's been quoted and so too late.

I'm going to continue to use Mr. Chiu and will let you guys know how it goes.

The MOP buttons I lost were extra buttons from trousers that I had tailored and I don't think ended up on anyone's jacket.

TC11201

Reaction score
I wanted to add my two cents to this since I've used LNC for years. I was a little surprised to hear that he would have taken buttons from one customer and given them to another. Frankly, knowing how honest he has been throughout the 10 years+ I've used him (either with his former partner or now on his own), I can believe that the buttons were lost, but I very much doubt any more than that - people ought to be careful about what they insinuate. There is a certain element of chaos in the shop and in his tracking system, that is true, but he's never been anything other than totally honest with me (and for the record, he's never screwed anything up for me). It is also true that he won't do certain alterations (full recut - he'll tell you to return the suit, shirts - for whatever reason, he needs cajoling), although frankly plenty of other tailors should do the same thing. He at least will be upfront about it to avoid disappointment.

As for the so-called Asian discount, I'd say that he does give certain customers discounts, but in my experience, that has more to do with length of time using him and / or his level of comfort with you (plenty of non-Asians I know get the same discount) - nothing ethnically nefarious about that; most businesses I know give their best customers discounts. There may also be an Asian discount for new-comers, although frankly, I'm not sure about that (I only started getting discounts after a few years and I'm half Asian...). Either way, his prices are far lower than what you'll be charged by most other tailors in the city (discount or no) and the quality is very high. You just need to be comfortable dealing with a guy in a painted basement in Chinatown. If you do have him make stuff for you (and he is quite good), just be prepared that you need to be pretty specific about what you're looking for - not, IMHO, the best for a bespoke first-timer, even though the prices are excellent. If you're good to him (I usually give him extra when the price he charges is obviously too low - last pair of pants I took to him to be hemmed only he tried to charge me $4...total), he'll quickly be good to you.

Bottom line after more than a decade of using the guy - he's a technically excellent tailor at prices that nobody else in NYC comes close to (discount or not), he's very honest who cares very much about keeping people happy, just don't expect hushed, wood-panelled surroundings or to discuss the intricacies of proper spalla camicia.

raley

Reaction score
Does LNC do a good job of giving you advice/telling you what needs to be done for a good fit? I know pretty much that I want a tailored look and how I want my pants to break, but I don't really know what needs to be done otherwise - will he be able to help with this or will I need to accurately tell him what to do?

Also, this is the place on Baxter St?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Does LNC do a good job of giving you advice/telling you what needs to be done for a good fit? I know pretty much that I want a tailored look and how I want my pants to break, but I don't really know what needs to be done otherwise - will he be able to help with this or will I need to accurately tell him what to do?

Also, this is the place on Baxter St?

Yes and yes.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
I wanted to add my two cents to this since I've used LNC for years. I was a little surprised to hear that he would have taken buttons from one customer and given them to another. Frankly, knowing how honest he has been throughout the 10 years+ I've used him (either with his former partner or now on his own), I can believe that the buttons were lost, but I very much doubt any more than that - people ought to be careful about what they insinuate. There is a certain element of chaos in the shop and in his tracking system, that is true, but he's never been anything other than totally honest with me (and for the record, he's never screwed anything up for me). It is also true that he won't do certain alterations (full recut - he'll tell you to return the suit, shirts - for whatever reason, he needs cajoling), although frankly plenty of other tailors should do the same thing. He at least will be upfront about it to avoid disappointment.

As for the so-called Asian discount, I'd say that he does give certain customers discounts, but in my experience, that has more to do with length of time using him and / or his level of comfort with you (plenty of non-Asians I know get the same discount) - nothing ethnically nefarious about that; most businesses I know give their best customers discounts. There may also be an Asian discount for new-comers, although frankly, I'm not sure about that (I only started getting discounts after a few years and I'm half Asian...). Either way, his prices are far lower than what you'll be charged by most other tailors in the city (discount or no) and the quality is very high. You just need to be comfortable dealing with a guy in a painted basement in Chinatown. If you do have him make stuff for you (and he is quite good), just be prepared that you need to be pretty specific about what you're looking for - not, IMHO, the best for a bespoke first-timer, even though the prices are excellent. If you're good to him (I usually give him extra when the price he charges is obviously too low - last pair of pants I took to him to be hemmed only he tried to charge me $4...total), he'll quickly be good to you.

Bottom line after more than a decade of using the guy - he's a technically excellent tailor at prices that nobody else in NYC comes close to (discount or not), he's very honest who cares very much about keeping people happy, just don't expect hushed, wood-panelled surroundings or to discuss the intricacies of proper spalla camicia.

he charged me 11 to hem - and I've seen him charge others $6. whatever, he does a good job and i'll pay his markup. c'est la vie.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Using Technology
no brooklyn tailors in this thread? I think I'm going to try LNC for the bigger work i need done, but if I have a cheap jacket that I just want the sleeves lengthened a half inch is it wroth just going to a normal alteration place?

Ercole, but the reviews weren't so hot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads